This probably seems a silly question. One writes with it, of course. But to what purpose?

I purchased a beautiful 1990s M800 blue from Rick Propas (my hero), and got it with the new IB stock nib thinking that I would love the broad strokes and bold lines. But, I find it's like writing with a big, fat Sharpie. If I write really large, then the pen writes quite beautifully. I have it inked with Shin-Kai and the shade variation is nice. But I don't normally write really large, unless I'm addressing envelopes. But I don't want to use my Blue M800 just to address envelopes.

So, can you use an IB for everyday handwriting? I use my pens mainly for journaling and grading. Although I might find great satisfaction writing large blue Fs on certain students' papers, I can't really see myself using this nib for grading. And I journal in a Rhodia dot Webbie, and the lines aren't large.

I've already contacted Rick about exchanging the nib for a fine or extra fine, but that seems so extraordinarily boring (if not utilitarian). I guess I wondered what those of you who use Bold nibs do with them. Do you use them only for signatures? Addressing envelopes? Or, if you use them for everyday writing, how do you make it not look like a first grader's penmanship?

Also, while I'm asking questions, are the 14K Pelikan M800 nibs really that much better than the 18K ones? I know the 14K ones are supposed to be "better" but I'm not exactly sure how. Are they springier? Or is it just that they can be modified for more flex? Are they worth paying an extra $150 for?

Thanks all for letting me ask my silly questions.

Susan