Thread: Watercolor Dip pen ink!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Watercolor Dip pen ink!

Warning: i do not know if there any side effects of doing this, so do this at your own risk. this is for dip pens, DO NOT do this with a fountain pen.
    ive seen acrylic suggestions but watercolor seems to work better if you do it right and it washes off your nib easier if it happens to dry.
    ok, so here is what youll need:
    -watercolor paint(the cake ones, like the ones you wet to get the paint. i used prang semi wet ones, dont know how well others will work)
    -a medium sized brush, around a 4-6
    -water, of course
    -corn syrup or similar(i used corn starch, like i said, im not sure how well other substances will work)
    -a palette or similar grooved surface to hold the liquidy inky watercolor in place and not dribble everywhere. you dont want to be mixing the cornstarch onto your paint cakes!
    ok, so heres what you do.
    before we start.... you dont need enough to dip your pen!
    wet your brush and tap off excess water, then swirl your brush in the paint of choice, then deposit onto palette. this is where you can mix your colors etc, following the same rule of minimal water.
    wash the brush in the water, then use it to transfer a small amount of corn starch to the watercolor. i had a size 4 brush and dipped it completely in the starch, but it may vary.
    then dip and clean your brush again, then take it out of the water and use the wet brush to mix the concoction.\
    after you have done this, use the brush to "paint" the watercolor onto the nib (sounds time consuming but it isnt really) making sure you coat it and it sticks in the reservoir.
    write it up! when it runs out, just recoat your brush with paint and paint the nib again. when you are dun dont forget to rinse your nib and the brush.
    ok... so heres some problems you may have. if the concoction doesnt stick in the reservoir, then you may need to thicken it by adding more cornstarch or more thick paint(not watered down paint, like i said twist the brush in the paint cake). if it is sticking but not flowing, add more water. i have not perfected a process of this yet.
    i am fairly sure you can use tubed watercolor and dilute it, add cornstarch etc. but you might be able to get a larger amount of ink that way that you dont have to worry about drying out.
    of course its not on par with real ink but its pretty cool.
    alright... i hoped this helped...
    here is a pic of 3 colors i made:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingo5 For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (May 12th, 2013)