Thread: Disappointed with Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,872 Times in 811 Posts

Default Disappointed with Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue

After dropping out of the Wancher Dream pen project I decided that I needed to check out some Japanese pens with Japanese nibs. As there are no pen clubs nor shows where I live, that means buying and trying. I had already tried Platinum preppies and Pilot Metropolitan so I was ready to try out a mid level pen. After reading a ton of reviews I decided on a Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue. The results were disappointing.

Platinum3776.jpg

Disappointed: "Sad or displeased because someone or something has failed to fulfill one's expectations."

When I opened up the box I was unpleasantly surprised at the (IMO) awful gold trim. It looks like gold painted plastic and, quite frankly, seems to look very cheap. The Chartres blue body looks very nice but the gold trim is garishly distracting. The picture I have attached does not adequately illustrate the displeasingly bright gold trim.

The nib is OK. It starts up without problem and has a nice medium line. It is smooth with a bit of feedback, but not as spectacular as some reviews would make you believe. Maybe if I had bought this as my first pen I would be more enthusiastic but after using a lot of vintage Pelikan pens the stiff Platinum nib is just plain boring. Although the nib did not meet my admittedly high expectations it is functional and adequate. If it were not for the awful gold trim I would probably keep this pen.

So I guess I'll have to sell this one and try another Japanese pen manufacturer. In my search I read a lot of good things about Pilot Custom 74. However I'm afraid the gold trim may look as gaudy as the Platinum 3776. Anyone with both pens would care to comment? Anyone have a comparison photo?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

dfo (March 18th, 2018), Rossler (April 6th, 2018), Zhivago (April 17th, 2018)