Thread: Noodler's Dixie #10 - A Hidden Gem!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Noodler's Dixie #10 - A Hidden Gem!

Over a realtively short period of time, I've purchased a number of Noodler's pens. Almost all are Ahabs with one Neponset in ebonite as are the Boston Safety Pens but more about them some other time. However, rapidly becoming clear favourites are the ebonite Konrad pens, named by Nathan 'Dixie #10'. I just love these pens (and I confess, the wonderful aroma of ebonite!) and this is just a brief review/comment. Many of you will be familiar with the Konrad et al, and the nib is the same as the Ahab. Further details are all over this site too.

Noodler's Dixie #10-a.jpg

Currently available in one colour 'Red Rebellion' (I got mine from Pure Pens in the UK) each one is an individual. This is down to the manufacturing process and colouring of the ebonite. I believe there was another colour - similar to the Chestnut BSP - but Ross hasn't had any and even Goulet are not showing any stock.

They are simple piston-fillers with a blind cap covering the filler knob. The picture above shows this removed on the right-hand pen and this particular one is a (poor!) example of one of the other sorts of finish in the ebonite that can be expected. Basically, the pens are either mainly black or mainly red, both with really attractive marbling in black.

I've not removed the nib and feed on any of mine, simply because there has been no need. They all write perfectly for me, straight out of the boxes. Almost certainly, the user can adjust the nibe with the same simplicity as on Ahab pens. Incidentally, the one acrylic Konrad I've got behaves in exactly the same way - the colours are just somewhat brighter!

Lastly, the piston mechanism can be removed - carefully but intentionally - by removing the blind cap and then gently unscrewing the unit by gripping it just above the top of the barrel. This would be the way to apply a little more silicone to the piston etc IF required.

All in all, I'm really pleased with these pens. The ones pictured are filled with Noodler's Air Corps Blue Black (writing example) and Noodler's Walnut in the other. Borealis Black in another is an absolute dream to write with - so smooth - an loads of different papers. Well worth the expense and I reckon they are great value for money.

And as the festive day is almost upon us, may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy & Healthy New Year. And may I leave you with a few pertinent alterations to a well-known Christmas song:

On the Twelfth Day of Christmas,
    my true-love gave to me...

12 Diaries Planning
    11 Papers Bleeding
    10 Nibs a’Skipping
    9 Bottles Leaking
    8 Tines mis-Lining
    7 Swans a’Filling
    6 LE Specials
    5 Golden Inks
    4 Calling Cards
    3 French Pens
    2 Turkish Seals
    And a dip-pen that is out of warranty!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Good Captain For This Useful Post:

KKay (March 15th, 2019), Pterodactylus (December 23rd, 2018)