Thread: Pen materials

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Re: Pen materials

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    Does anyone know about early plastic materials? I know bakelite and celluloid has become widely used names for all kinds of cellulose, phenol plastic based materials. I know melamin is an early one we still have in our daily surroundings. From someone who collects old plastic jewlery, I have heard the names, bakelite, lucite, bexit(e). I like those early black eyedrop fillers, I'm not sure what they are made of. There are intersting materials in new low priced pens too, but I don't know how cow-horn behaves over time. I think it's one of the better materials, since spectacle frames can be made of the. I think some amber, horn and tortoise imitations are cellulose acetate, it can have a translucent quality.
    At the beginning of the thread, there is a list of materials. Horn, and early plastics, casein, or galallith as is more commonly called, is mentioned.

Regarding black eyedroppers, you can find them (but seldom) in bakelite, it is a fragile material to work with, hence the production not lasting long. Moreover, easily breakable. Many of the black eyedroppers, as you say, are mostly hard rubber made.
    Last edited by fountainpagan; May 18th, 2019 at 10:29 AM.