Thread: Not a Hobbyist

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Not a Hobbyist

Sitting at my desk at home, writing a letter to a foreign correspondent, when it dawned on me that I am not really a fountain pen hobbyist. Sure they are my preferred tool to write with, but I don't have any drive to learn about their history, how to fix them (at least seldom does this happen), or any particular interest in trends. These are subjects, among others, that excite many members here to be sure. Just not me.

While this may seem similar to the other thread about being comfortable in a rut, I don't really see it that way. In general an artist does not need to be a pencil hobbyist in order to produce art. Of course I am far from being any kind of artist (except perhaps a piss artist - to get in ahead of the crowd ), yet the principle still applies.

This is not to say that I won't buy any more pens, though it is more likely that I will acquire replacements rather than additions. For example, I have a Pilot 823 fine nib that is very nice, but if I tried a medium nib and liked it more I would be inclined to sell the first and replace with the latter.

Further to this I believe that my hand will not get sufficiently better to warrant many different kinds of nibs. The fine motor skills are simply not there.

Do DIY enthusiasts gather together to show off their latest hammer? Maybe they do!

A dictionary defines a hobby as: "An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure."

I eat food in my leisure time and enjoy it very much. It's not a hobby though.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (June 4th, 2019), TSherbs (June 3rd, 2019)