Hello,

My son is is in third year of secondary school here in Ireland. He turns 15 this school year.

He likes to use a fountain pen. He currently has a cheap Parker Vector pen that takes Quink cartridges. It did improve the quality of his handwriting. But unfortunately, the thickness of its line and the general feel make his writing quite slow,. Yet he is saying he does even worse with a usual ball point pen. I guess he would be called a young man of culture on this forum

So I'm looking at getting him a better fountain pen.

But I know very little about fountain pens. How do I choose the pen that is right for him, something that will feel nice, enable faster writing, and draw a thinner line? Might be ideal for him to try things out with different pens, I don't think there is a place in Limerick, Ireland, that would have this kind of selection. So I have to work out the model and order it online.

The budget I'd have is up to 50 Euro, roughly equivalent to 60 US dollars. I understand there are really great fountain pens at around 100 Euro and more, but I am not comfortable getting a tool like that for secondary school, where it might become a victim of whatever rough-an-tumble things that might happen. (University would be different).