Thread: Lockdown ramblings

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Lockdown ramblings

Hello,everyone.
    When I was a child (7 or 8 years old) I learned to use a pen to write. We used dip pens and not a week passed by wihout an inkwell being upended from our tiny desks and contents liberally splattered over floors,desks and,of course,each other.
    When I moved on to the next school at 11 years old,we had to use fountain pens.
    From my sketchy memory,in order of expense and desirability (is desirability always linked to higher prices?) it ran:
    Platignum (not,definitely not Platinum)
    Osmiroid
    Parker.
    I always fancied Osmiroid but could only afford Platignum.
    Few of my schoolmates had Parker pens but the few who did were considered well off and well equipped with their chosen pen.
    It has struck me during lockdown,with more time on my hands after work, that I have never really bought and used a Parker for everyday use: I have a small vintage Duofold that I bought on a whim and never used,so far as I can remember and that's too small for me to use, I guess.
    Lockdown "blues" give that thought a ratchet turn: why not buy a modern Parker and what about a modern Duofold?
    So now I trawl the Net checking out Centennial vs International.
    Big Red vs Black.
    Fine vs medium.
    This really is an addiction,isn't it?
    On a side note, I suspect the only pen shop within travel distance for me will maybe not reopen as lockdown eases.
    What's the state of play where you are in relation to B&M shops maybe staying closed?
    Take care everyone and goodnight.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topcat666 For This Useful Post:

welch (May 30th, 2020), Yazeh (November 14th, 2020)