Thread: End of the road?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Re: End of the road?

I would suggest you join postcrossing.

Then you can use you pens and send and receive postcards from all over the world.

I've had some fascinating cards, and beautiful stamps over the last 5 years.

Don't worry about buying more pens. Youy've stil got to find the perect paper to match the ones you have - and a lifetime of blue inks to explore. 50 Shades of Grey - I see you and raise you 500 shades of Blue.

The hobby isn't just about acquiring pens, but using them.

NaNoWriMo starts on Sunday - 50,000 words to write in November.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

cj2020 (October 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I would suggest you join postcrossing.

Then you can use you pens and send and receive postcards from all over the world.

I've had some fascinating cards, and beautiful stamps over the last 5 years.

Don't worry about buying more pens. Youy've stil got to find the perect paper to match the ones you have - and a lifetime of blue inks to explore. 50 Shades of Grey - I see you and raise you 500 shades of Blue.

The hobby isn't just about acquiring pens, but using them.

NaNoWriMo starts on Sunday - 50,000 words to write in November.
    Wise words about the hobby being about using the pens. That is the main reason I have limited myself to five for now. Unlike others, I have problems rotating efficiently and then feel guilty about the pen just sitting and not being used 😀

Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 1,983 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cj2020 View Post
    Wise words about the hobby being about using the pens. That is the main reason I have limited myself to five for now. Unlike others, I have problems rotating efficiently and then feel guilty about the pen just sitting and not being used 😀
    I don't quite agree that this hobby is *only* about using the pens.

A legitimate part of this same hobby is the appreciation and celebration of vintage fountain pens.

There is nothing wrong for some of these vintage pens to not be used, or used only sparingly.

As an analogy, are antique cars in a museum collection supposed to be used all the time?
    They will cease to exist if they were because there will be no spare parts to replace broken ones from being used.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

da vinci (December 15th, 2020), eachan (November 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,456 Times in 2,526 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I don't quite agree that this hobby is *only* about using the pens. A legitimate part of this same hobby is the appreciation and celebration of vintage fountain pens. There is nothing wrong for some of these vintage pens to not be used, or used only sparingly. As an analogy, are antique cars in a museum collection supposed to be used all the time? They will cease to exist if they were because there will be no spare parts to replace broken ones from being used.
    I've had both, and I've always enjoyed the back stories that collectors have as much as the pen or car, whether finding and restoring a vintage pen or the same for an antique car. For example, I get a kick out of the FPGeeks thread about people's desks and in the same vein, I enjoy the description of an owner's garage where his restorations slowly take place. By the way, when there are no more OEM parts for autos (and pens), they will be made if the owner is willing to pay.