Thread: The "Dolphin"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Default The "Dolphin"

This post is my appreciation for the "Dolphin", the pen that probably split pen people right in the middle as far as whether you love or hate its looks.

As far as Sheaffer goes, at least back when they were still in Iowa, breaking new grounds and causing their competitors to scramble are just another day at work.

Maybe because that was the case, we see this curious model from them in the early part of the 1960's that were only in production for what, 2 years?

Seen here is the top of the line model 1000 which is characterized by the nice and solid, gold-plated cap with lines engraved on it, and the 14K nib ... and cartridge only according to PenHero.com.

The other models offered were: 500 (steel cap, steel nib), and 800 (plastic cap, 14K gold nib).

Hands On: This pen shares the same dimension and heft with the famous Imperial family, the reason they are famous is because they are excellent writers, well made, with outstanding balance in the hand. So is this pen.

Lights On: I think this pen looks gorgeous. The cap on this 1000 model is beefy, very nice heft and quite the opposite of "cheap feeling". And I like burgundy colored barrels, I think they look stately, especially with a beefy gold plated cap.

Write On: The nib is gold, size is Fine. It's *springy*. Don't know what that means? Head over to the thread that goes multi pages deep talking about *Springy nibs* right here on FPGeeks.

Move On: If it's not clear to you by now, I am in the camp who love the "Dolphin". I think it's one of Sheaffer's model that deserve a lot more exposure than it does now. Plus, it's a dang good writer. I thoroughly enjoy sketching with it.

(And no, I wasn't trying to lit the pen on fire, it already is).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (October 5th, 2020), azkid (September 26th, 2020), Bisquitlips (November 17th, 2021), catbert (September 26th, 2020), Chrissy (September 25th, 2020), pajaro (November 18th, 2021), Pterodactylus (November 15th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (September 25th, 2020), Yazeh (November 15th, 2020)