Thread: Advice on a 6th (final) pen/contrasting pens

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 599 Posts

Default Advice on a 6th (final) pen/contrasting pens

In some sense I've been very lucky over the past few years to figure out two things about my relationship with these inky things:

1)I can't actually enjoy owning more than 6 or 7 pens
    and
    2)I derive the greatest enjoyment from vintage (pre-1960) and mostly Italian celluloid pens with flexible nibs, and only need 1 robust pocket-pen

Before I lost the bolded 3 pens several months ago, I had achieved some form of whole-ness in my pen lineup:
    Aurora Optima (turquoise/blue pearl celluloid, 1940s w/ flexible platridio nib)
    Montblanc 104G (flexible medium stub)
    OMAS Extra Lucens vest pocket greek band in black (EF flex)
    OMAS Extra Lucens, medium size in black visulated (M soft flex)
    Soennecken 111 Superior in tortoise (0.7mm stub semi-flex)
    OMAS Extra, vest pocket in tortoise (wet F flex)
    OMAS Lucens, vest pocket in green pearl (EEF flex)
    [robust pocket pen] Parker "51" aerometric in cocoa (EF/F)

IMG_3044.jpg

I got the Parker Vacuum Filler pictured above after the other 3 were lost...I've always loved the early models, but alas, the section isn't superbly ergonomic for me, and the nail EF nib is just not my thing. It feels refined and elegant but just isn't 'me'.
    I've been looking for a 6th pen to replace it, and am not sure which direction to go. I think I'd like something contrasting the others, and possibly a little larger. I'd probably get another Optima if I could find one, but I can't*, and the vacuum filler was always a bit of a downside in my mind anyway. Here's what I've found:
    1. Columbus 132 in blue lapis https://www.tenpen.it/product/columb...apis-celluloid
    -I have no experience with this brand, but the styling on these has long intrigued me would seem to contrast nicely with all the other pens I have. They're also a bit girthier than the Extra Lucens or the 111 Superior.
    2. Williamson vacumatic clone https://www.tenpen.it/index.php/prod...ated-celluloid
    -no experience with these either, but I love the vacumatic celluloid and this is a way to get one with a flexible nib (and a more intriguing clip!)
    3. OMAS 557/s https://www.tenpen.it/index.php/prod...ogiva-oversize
    -I had a 557/F in college, which is basically the size of the old-style paragons. I've missed it dearly. The ogiva (/s) models seem more modern, and those straight sections remind me of a Faber Castell Higgins pen I inherited that has great sentimental value but isn't a great user for me.
    4. Pelikan 100 with green binde (probably F flexible nib, oblique if one pops up)
    -I have somehow only held and tried this a couple of times...the cap/body ratio used to seem unbalanced to me, but it now appears charming. Maybe not the most contrasting.

Should I seek out the most possible contrast? I want to think this business is sort of like art curation: some pens will fit better together than others, and when they complement each other especially well, there's this special sort of satisfaction, a gestalt effect. How do folks approach this? Any other recommendations, or experiences with these pens, would be so appreciated!

*on the off chance someone has one they want to sell, please reach out!
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; August 17th, 2021 at 04:32 PM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.