Thread: Sheaffer coastal blue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 1,165 Posts

Default Sheaffer coastal blue

Here’s another ink I purchased because I like the bottle. Sheaffer's new line of inks moved production from Slovenia to China and revived an older tilt-well bottle design.

coastalblue1.jpg
    New 30ml, old 50ml.

coastalblue2.jpg

coastalblue3.jpg
    Sketch combining the Inktober prompts 'terrain' and 'flag', inspired by Yazeh and Kaputnik.

coastalblue4.jpg
    (The Sheaffer 5-30 used in the writing and drawing samples is my first attempt at re-saccing a pen. So far, so good.)

I don’t have any of Sheaffer’s previous range of Slovenian-made inks to compare. Based on online reviews, Sheaffer coastal blue leans greener than Sheaffer Skrip turquoise. To my eye, it falls somewhere between Lamy turquoise and Lamy turmaline. I would call it green.

coastalblue5.jpg
    Swatches on Col-o-ring and Atoma paper.

Waterproofness: don’t count on it.
    coastalblue6.jpg

I prefer black or blue-black ink for longer-form writing (easier on the eye) and use brighter, contrasting shades mainly for annotation, marking up, etc. Sheaffer coastal blue is dark enough to be legible for general writing but bright enough to stand out if used for annotation, which makes it quite versatile.
    Last edited by catbert; July 9th, 2022 at 10:28 AM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

carlos.q (July 9th, 2022), Chrissy (July 13th, 2023), christof (July 9th, 2022), Jon Szanto (July 9th, 2022), junglejim (July 9th, 2022), Lloyd (July 9th, 2022), Prettypenguin (July 9th, 2022), Robert (July 9th, 2022), RobJohnson (July 9th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 9th, 2022), sospiro (July 9th, 2022), Yazeh (July 9th, 2022)