Thread: Sheaffer amethyst

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,840 Times in 1,166 Posts

Default Sheaffer amethyst

Here’s another in the line of inks Sheaffer introduced after moving production from Slovenia to China and dropping the Skrip name. It comes in a tilt-well bottle that echoes an earlier style. I bought it mainly for the bottle.

amethyst1.jpg

On first opening, the inner seal was stuck to the rim of the bottle. It wasn’t hard to secure it to the central post on the cap.

amethyst2a.jpgamethyst2b.jpg

I once tried a bottle of Sheaffer Skrip black (the empty pictured above), probably US-made. Compared to (say) Quink ink, Skrip ‘writing fluid’ seemed artificial, the stationery equivalent of ‘cola drink’, not the Real Thing. Makes no sense, but there it is.

Based on online images, Sheaffer amethyst leans redder than Sheaffer Skrip purple. It’s also redder than J. Herbin violette pensée and bluer than Sailor okuyama (which is all sheen on Col-o-ring). I can rationalize that this ink fills a gap in my lineup, not that I needed to fill it.

amethyst3.jpg
    Swatches on Col-o-ring and Atoma paper.

amethyst4.jpg
    The Pelikan cartridge pen wrote drier than the Sheaffer vac-filler despite a broader nib.

amethyst5.jpg
    More Inktober doodles.

Waterproofness: not so much.

amethyst6.jpg

This ink is dark enough for general writing and makes a nice change from blue-black or black.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

carlos.q (July 18th, 2022), Chrissy (July 13th, 2023), damfino (July 20th, 2022), Deb (July 18th, 2022), dneal (February 23rd, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (September 23rd, 2022), Jon Szanto (February 5th, 2023), junglejim (July 18th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 17th, 2022), Scrawler (March 10th, 2023), Yazeh (July 18th, 2022)