Thread: Any Point to Cursive?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Question Any Point to Cursive?

An opinion piece in today's The New York Times asks:

What's the Point of Teaching Cursive?

John McWhorter, a linguist at Columbia University suggests cursive has had its day. He likens those championing it to those who said silent movies were better than the ones then coming out with sound tracks. He makes some interesting points and goes through some of the usual arguments. I lean toward agreeing with him.

Personally, I've grown pretty weary of cursive. I started using it when I got "into" fountain pens again about 10 years ago. But I never really liked it when I learned it 70 years ago, abandoned it nearly my entire adult life, and now I'm using it only sparingly; why I don't really know. Maybe it has to do also with fountain pens as I'm growing sort of weary of them too. I've discovered some gel pens that are much smoother to write with, far less trouble to maintain --- and they put down a much more pleasing line on the paper. Also, they use a permanent, archival quality ink. And at less than $3, why would I want a fountain pen?

Anyway, the article is behind a paywall, of course. This link may get you around it, I don't know...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/13/o...smid=share-url

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 14th, 2022)