Thread: The Great Obscenities in the US today.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default The Great Obscenities in the US today.

There is a fairly high proportion of Americans who believe the US has become an immoral society. I tend to agree with them but perhaps we might differ slightly on specifics of the Great Obscenities that characterize and define the USA today and so I thought it might be productive to present for discussion what I see as the Great Obscenities in the US.

The first is the idea that profit should be the primary motivator and driving force for innovation and the second is that the purpose of the education system should be to train and prepare workers.

I cannot think of many things that are more obscene, immoral and destructive than those two fallacies.

Next is the idea that a corporation is a person and that money is equivalent to speech.

Next is the fallacy that health care, utilities and services like police, prisons, fire, roads, bridges or communication systems should be unregulated and profit driven.

Finally, the idea that beliefs that are simply refuted by facts and reality should be respected. In particular, the Christian Cult of Ignorance (remember I am a Christian and so not denigrating all Christians) as seen in the US with their avoidance school systems should be recognized for just what it really is. They should be allowed to hold their beliefs as silly as they might be but not to insert those beliefs into government, education, social policy or law.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Ernst Bitterman (April 16th, 2014), HughC (April 9th, 2014), Jon Szanto (May 12th, 2014), kia (April 9th, 2014), Marsilius (June 8th, 2014), Murfie (April 10th, 2014), reicel (April 20th, 2014), scmense (October 29th, 2015), Steph (April 11th, 2014), Tsuki yo (May 8th, 2014)