Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Sailor View Post
Right hand drive cars are illegal in the states, along with a few other nuances, there are ways around it from what I hear but buying a RHD car is out of my price range at the moment. There are car companies that make two U.S. models, one for California and one for the other states. I am a fan of a couple Japanese only production cars that you can do a couple things to make legal in the U.S. but surprisingly the biggest issue aside from RHD is the glass in them from what I understand. The glass for the non U.S. models apparently don't meet the U.S. safety regulations or something.
That business with the glass is a classic: this sort of thing is done as a means of "restraint of trade." A good example of this was a Marshall guitar amplifier I had that had been built for the US market; it was fitted with numerous extra fuses- fuses that one would never find e.g. in a US built Fender amplifier. I learned all this whilst having the amplifier serviced at Marshall's; they laughed and cheerfully removed all the additional and unnecessary fuses!

Cob