Thread: Newton Townsend

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Newton Townsend

I have been using and collecting pens long enough that I usually know what works for me and what doesn't, what is a passing fancy and what will be a long term treasure, but every once in a while a pen comes along that catches me off guard. My Townsend made by Shawn Newton of Newton Pens is one of those.

The idea for this pen began last May when I was browsing Shawn's site and saw a sterling clip that I instantly knew was destined to be on one of my pens. From that moment forward, every decision about the pen was made in reference to how it would work with that clip.

It was time to thin my pen herd anyway, so with a critical eye I sorted through my pen cases and decided which ones made the cut and which ones needed new homes. After raising the money by rehoming some gently used pens, I set out for the wait. As the summer waned, we fine tuned the details.

Then one day a couple of weeks ago, a package arrived in my post box. Filled with tension and fear that I had built my hopes up too much, I gently opened the box.

Shawn also sells these boxes, several options available.

Every pen Shawn sells comes with a custom slip case made by Shawn's wife. The presentation of the pen encased in the wrap and custom box was stunning. As I sat in my car at the post office, I was momentarily speechless. Not only was I not disappointed, everything exceeded my expectations. Look how the orange swirl on the cap looks like a finial. It's details like that that take a pen from ordinary to awesome.

For those familiar with my obsession with Edison pens, here is a shot with a Pearl. While they look similar, they feel different. Neither is better nor worse, just different.

After first impressions were over came the biggest question. How does it write?

I can honestly say that Shawn's custom ground nibs are as smooth or smoother than any I have written with, including the big names.

This pen writes beautifully, is well balanced, and is finished perfectly. This pen is a cartridge/converter filler with the option to use as an eyedropper filler (my favorite option) but Shawn is an innovator. He makes button fillers, bulb fillers, and I think I have even seen a piston filler that he made.

If you follow him on Facebook or Instagram, you will see shots of your pen in production -- all posted without names, of course, for privacy. :-) It's fun to watch your pen morph from a slab of raw material into a polished final work of art.

Go check out more of Shawn's pens at Newtonpens.com.

Better yet, come to the Dallas Pen Show this weekend because I have just found out that Shawn will be there with a table and a few more pens.
    Last edited by tiffanyhenschel; September 23rd, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. - Jan Karon

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Art (September 23rd, 2014), benjitzu (August 12th, 2015), Bogon07 (September 24th, 2014), Chrissy (June 15th, 2015), damfino (August 3rd, 2021), fountainpenkid (September 27th, 2014), Haefennasiel (July 15th, 2015), jde (October 2nd, 2014), Jeph (September 23rd, 2014), Lady Onogaro (September 23rd, 2014), Laura N (September 23rd, 2014), mrcharlie (September 23rd, 2014), mtnbiker62 (September 25th, 2014), Neo (September 27th, 2014), reprieve (June 12th, 2015), rpsyed (July 14th, 2015), RuiFromUK (September 23rd, 2014), Tracy Lee (September 23rd, 2014), veteli (September 28th, 2014), writingrav (September 23rd, 2014), Yazeh (August 1st, 2021)