Thread: How Did You Get Here?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

Default Re: How Did You Get Here?

I loved fossicking about in the art supply and pen shops in San Francisco. Bought some nice pens on sale: Parker Duofold International in dark-grey pearl, a Namiki Vanishing Point, and an Aurora Ipsilon. Michael's rang a faint bell (they no longer have a shop on Stutter(!) or Sutter St. nor anywhere in the city). But the shop I recall was on a cross street south off Market, mostly art supplies with a single showcase of fountain pens.

After a few years memorising catalogues, I veered into restoring antique and vintage pens, buying estate lots and drawer sales, fixing up worthwhile pens, selling most, and keeping a few that worked in my collection. I'm no longer actively looking or buying: too many pens and too few chances to use them. It's discouraging to send a letter written with a good pen and ink on fine paper, and then have the friend pop back with an e-mail, or worse, a text.

When I really like a piece by another writer, I ink a favorite pen and write an old-style fan letter. Most writers are pleased to get them, and some pleasant correspondences have developed, along with lasting friendships.

Your post made me curious as to whether fountain pens had been made in Poland. One maker, Zenith, produced several models. Here's a Zenith 2, which resembles the Parker P-51 Aerometric pens.

Cheers!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

eachan (September 12th, 2021), ethernautrix (September 12th, 2021), mizgeorge (September 12th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 12th, 2021), Yazeh (September 14th, 2021)