Page 258 of 290 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268 ... LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,160 of 5796

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

With that 20% discount would make it a sweet catch.

Thanks

These are recently acquired pens from Eureka Fountain Pens out of S. Korea.
    They are basically a one man operation which makes their pens all the more impressive. Handmade ebonite bodies, feeds, superb silver alloy nibs, experimental urushi techniques.... just to whet your appetite. He shares updates here in the pen making section.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to markiv For This Useful Post:

amk (December 7th, 2021), da vinci (November 25th, 2021), Scrawler (December 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 666 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markiv View Post
    They are basically a one man operation which makes their pens all the more impressive. Handmade ebonite bodies, feeds, superb silver alloy nibs, experimental urushi techniques.... just to whet your appetite. He shares updates here in the pen making section.
    Really like that red one, feels more classic like some of the older tortoiseshell look. One man ops in my opinion add a bit more appreciation because you know there's not going to be that many made and there tends to be extra care when they're solely responsible for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,091 Times in 4,026 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    The two Triumph Vac-Fills would have come home with me. :-)
    Same here. Nice finds on the 5th Ave, but these go for my heart.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

One week and about a hundred years separate my last post and this pen that arrived on Tuesday. Almost an impulse when I saw a distant friend show a similar pen, this is a very small run pen from Lauren at Lucky Star Pens, crafted by Dan Symonds, who turned pens at Franklin-Christoph for a time. I did take the opportunity to swap in a black Jowo nib I had, just because. I call him Bettlejuice.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (December 7th, 2021), catbert (November 25th, 2021), da vinci (November 25th, 2021), mizgeorge (November 25th, 2021), penwash (November 25th, 2021), Scrawler (December 4th, 2021), usk15 (November 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markiv View Post
    Really like that red one, feels more classic like some of the older tortoiseshell look. One man ops in my opinion add a bit more appreciation because you know there's not going to be that many made and there tends to be extra care when they're solely responsible for it.

Exactly my sentiment!
    The red one looks conventional but has an interesting twist to it. The raw ebonite body was engraved with triangles which were then filled with silver power followed by urushi. Here is a candid pic which captures it better.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markiv For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2021), Scrawler (December 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    One week and about a hundred years separate my last post and this pen that arrived on Tuesday. Almost an impulse when I saw a distant friend show a similar pen, this is a very small run pen from Lauren at Lucky Star Pens, crafted by Dan Symonds, who turned pens at Franklin-Christoph for a time. I did take the opportunity to swap in a black Jowo nib I had, just because. I call him Bettlejuice.
    For some reason it gives me those 1960-70s Area 51 vibes ....in a good way. Nice!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to markiv For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,262 Posts

The more I see this the more I like it. The cap has that mesmerising thing going on

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2021), Scrawler (December 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    The more I see this the more I like it. The cap has that mesmerising thing going on
    Aw, I'm sorry - I hate to hit people up in multiple venues, but there are some folks that cross over and others that hang at only one place. At least you don't hate seeing it multiple times!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Dan Symonds was supposed to be at the Dallas Pen Show, but of course, between my table and everything else going on, I missed a few things.
    I was told that he used to make pens for FC. If this is representative of what he can produce, I'd like to see more.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Dan Symonds was supposed to be at the Dallas Pen Show, but of course, between my table and everything else going on, I missed a few things.
    I was told that he used to make pens for FC. If this is representative of what he can produce, I'd like to see more.
    He is the kind of person who has a very minimal footprint online, but I got firm info from other F-C people that he indeed used to turn pens there. There was just one photo of him from a recent show, just a few pens on a table. I'm going to try to track down contact info for him, as I don't know if he is still doing stuff on a very limited basis or if he is going to ramp up a bit. I have a feeling that Lauren just hit it off with him and making some pens was just part of the conversation, just a hunch on my part.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Aw, I'm sorry - I hate to hit people up in multiple venues, but there are some folks that cross over and others that hang at only one place. At least you don't hate seeing it multiple times!
    Never apologise for showing pretty pictures all over the place - I'm delighted to see them

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post
    Very nice. I have a made in Canada version of the one on the left. Looks identical to yours. It's in pristine condition, but needs a little work on the nib.
    I'm waiting for the one on the lefts arrival. I originally inquired about the other one (a Conway Stewart 388 with factory stub) and it was no longer available but I was able to get the Duofold with factory stub.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

Went back, same guy also owned the booth in the back where I noticed two very large pens tucked under a little purse. A large Parker Duofold and this Sheaffer Balance (unsure of official size). And got the 20% off for black Friday. Didn't get the Duofold because they wanted 150 for it and the nib tip was snipped and the little Conklin Crescent filler behind it has bent tippings on the verge of snapping off.

And these are the ones I saw on wend. Can see the crazing I was talking about on the Waterman 100 year, debated getting it, but that pen is a goner that I wouldn't want near my others and I don't have anything to put the nib into.

He had another case where it was a couple third tier brands (Waltham, Weather, etc) but all their nibs were snapped and corroded.

Thanks

Here's an oddity I grabbed in a hurry as the black Friday discount came to an end (went back yet again with my wife). Label said Eversharp, but couldn't be with the filler and saw that the nib was a Wahl and figured it was probably a Conklin with a Wahl nib, but didn't recognize the marbling as one used by Conklin for the crescent filler.

Got it under better lighting, and the crescent says Made in Japan and blank on the other side. No other markings on the pen. So I'm guessing maybe a 1950s clone of it ? (They didn't do clones earlier in Japan did they? Especially not marked in English).

Edit : probably a Spor (low tier Japanese) that originally came with a glass nib.
    Last edited by KBeezie; November 26th, 2021 at 11:41 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,446 Times in 2,524 Posts

You've made one of those discoveries....

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

christof (November 26th, 2021), Jon Szanto (November 26th, 2021), markiv (November 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,443 Posts

Haha!

Thanks

The pursuit of completeness is a disease...

I finally got the last missing colors.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 26th, 2021), Jon Szanto (November 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Yep. And wasn't even what I thought. Was just hoping it was a mismatched nib, but it's a mismatch everything lol. But doesn't look as tacky as some frankenpens. I'll probably either see if the nib will fit one if my other bodies since it seems to be a semi flex.

Either way probably paid too much for it lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Yep. And wasn't even what I thought. Was just hoping it was a mismatched nib, but it's a mismatch everything lol. But doesn't look as tacky as some frankenpens. I'll probably either see if the nib will fit one if my other bodies since it seems to be a semi flex.

Either way probably paid too much for it lol.
    It‘s a SPORS with Wahl nib. These pen usually have glass nibs.