Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: What paper/notebook/journal are you waiting on?

Thanks

Default Re: What paper/notebook/journal are you waiting on?

An A5ish Miquel Rius spiralbound notebook, and a medium Picadilly Essential notebook (in purple and red, respectively), from B&N.com.

I have a specific purpose for the Picadilly one - I actually really wanted a cheap, hardbound journal (I'm trying to mimic one that I had when I was younger), but one like the one I had as a kid is really hard to find these days, so medium Moleskine clones aren't too bad of a choice, and it hits the rest of the necessary bits (cheap, hardbound, red, lined). Basically, I want a notebook that I'm not going to feel bad if I fill it with crap, so the cheaper the better.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,324 Posts

The Design-Y notebooks. Tomoe paper, hand stitched, real leather covers.

I ordered a couple of the 216's and an LP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 7188photo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I get that about the lines and grids. This is why Bagasse from Staples remains a favorite: somewhere between India paper and Rhodia for slickness, and those nice tan lines.

I've also been using Kokuyo Campus notebooks. The paper is Rhodia-slick, but the lines are pale, pale gray.
    Yes! Pale, pale gray sounds thousand times better than the blue Rhodia lines.
    On the other hand, though, last weekend I saw this nice letter writing block with nice paper and red (!) lines, that surprisingly looked pretty nice. Definitely saved on my mental list of things to get
    You might want to give the Rhodia Ice line a try as well. The lines are a nice, unobtrusive pale gray, and the paper is also not as glare-white as Rhodia - it's more like classic Clairefontaine. I don't like the classic Rhodia style either, the lines really get in my way and the paper is just too bright.

What I'm waiting on: the redesigned InkJournals from Oddo Ink. I'd gotten the old version, and I loved the layout but couldn't get used to the paper, and it was also just a bit too small, all told. This is exactly what they changed though, so when I saw that, I pounced! I'm pretty excited, dork that I am :P

Thanks

I have two more Rhodia A5 top wirebound pads on the way. I'm left-handed, so topbound is the only way I can handle spiral notebooks. And I've discovered that I rather like them for writing letters. Not the fanciest of stationery, but I've tried stuff like G. Lalo and it's way too textured for my extra-fine nibs.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by transknition View Post
    I have two more Rhodia A5 top wirebound pads on the way. I'm left-handed, so topbound is the only way I can handle spiral notebooks. And I've discovered that I rather like them for writing letters. Not the fanciest of stationery, but I've tried stuff like G. Lalo and it's way too textured for my extra-fine nibs.
    I get it. With the G. Lalo I tried, I could barely roll over it with a giant, chinese pen, broad nib. Battled with it all through last year's InCo and finally used it up. Never again.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (February 27th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by transknition View Post
    Fellow lefty. And Laid paper sucks badly with anything less then a German Medium. I would recommend something wider. And unless you are a underwriter like me XF is really the way to go.
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Conceived in New Jersey, living in South Texas
    Thanks

I was waiting for, but just received a Levenger Junior Circa notebook with leather cover. I like the idea of being able to add or remove pages.

Thanks

A4 and A5 Clairefointaine writing pads from Lacoronneducomte (pretty sure I've messed up the spelling of their name,anyway its a nice online store in Netherlands)
    "Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things
    in the world that just don't add up."
    James Magary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbreeze View Post
    Fellow lefty. And Laid paper sucks badly with anything less then a German Medium. I would recommend something wider. And unless you are a underwriter like me XF is really the way to go.
    I'm an underwriter, but I still prefer EF nibs. The only thing I own wider than a German EF is an Esterbrook fine stub. I got rid of the thicker nibs as I learned more about what I like. I just write too small for anything bigger!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to transknition For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 4th, 2015)

Thanks

I'm still on the hunt for my perfect field notes sized notebook. I loved the FN ambition set, but the paper just wasn't good enough. Gold edging, paper color, line colour, all great though. I prefer 5x5 grid rule to lined, and very subtle lines. I've tried moleskine (NOPE) and currently have a Clairefontaine on the go. The paper is every single fountain pen friendly (including flex and my extra juicy Franklin Christoph music nib) but the lines are just too dark for my liking, and the covers aren't exactly inspiring (not really an issue as I have it in my home made travellers notebook, but I'm a sucker for something pretty). Thinking of two options now - trying a Midori passport size, but I haven't seen one in person so don't know what the lines are like on it, or making my own out of tomoe river and fashioning some kind of writing board to slip underneath with a grid on.
    Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Holly
    ------
    Twitter: @Holsworth
    Instagram: @Holsworth
    Blog: beansandtoast

Thanks

I made Field Notes-sized refills from Tomoe River paper, and while it's lovely to write on during meetings and such, it's a little less practical for quick scribbles while held in the hand or on my knee. I found that being (relatively) loosely held into a cover with an elastic wasn't rigid enough on its own, and I could also feel the uneven surface created by my little back folder for business cards, receipts and such.

To help with this I got sheets of white styrene plastic at a local arts store, varying thicknesses, and I'm experimenting to find something that will give me a more rigid writing surface but is still thin and light enough to tuck away easily. You could easily glue a printed template onto something like this (even use a different one on each side).

Handmade won't give you gilded edges and Tamoe River only comes in cream color, but you can still make your refills really attractive by varying the paper you use for covers. Start with basic cardboard (file folders, cereal boxes) and glue down ornamental papers from art stores. Or even printed cloth like quilter's cotton. (If you do that, glue the cloth down first, then cut out the shape, to give you nice even edges.)

If you can't tell, bookbinding is one of my hobbies. I make all my own sketchbooks because I like odd small formats that aren't available commercially. It's easy and really, really satisfying to do.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elaineb For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 7th, 2015), Holsworth (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

[QUOTE=elaineb;118637]

Handmade won't give you gilded edges and Tamoe River only comes in cream color, /QUOTE]

Nope, comes in white as well!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks

My first ever Rhodia Webnotebook.

Sorry Rymans, I want to support B & M stationery stores,but the paper quality of your A6 pocket notebooks has dropped off a lot, and the price has crept up too much. For an extra 76 pence, the Rhodia is 90gsm for the same number of pages, guys. Yours is currently 70gsm and pretty inconsistent at that.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks

[QUOTE=Tracy Lee;119281]
    Quote Originally Posted by elaineb View Post

Handmade won't give you gilded edges and Tamoe River only comes in cream color, /QUOTE]

Nope, comes in white as well!
    Ah right. I was more saying that it didn't come in the green, pink, etc. she was seeing in things like Apica notebooks. I have both cream and white Tomoe River right here at my desk.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elaineb For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 9th, 2015), Tracy Lee (March 9th, 2015)

Thanks

Give Backpack Journals by Steve Curnow a try. Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherworks. He has notebooks that are Field Note size. Also tomoe river paper journals.
    Great product and great service.

Happy customer!

Thanks

Curnow notebooks look nice but I've been stung by import duty one too many times to order from outside of Europe.
    Have ordered a midori grid lined insert to give a try. Next stop will be making my own! Have done a larger one before so don't see why I won't be able to do it.
    Holly
    ------
    Twitter: @Holsworth
    Instagram: @Holsworth
    Blog: beansandtoast

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holsworth View Post
    Curnow notebooks look nice but I've been stung by import duty one too many times to order from outside of Europe.
    Have ordered a midori grid lined insert to give a try. Next stop will be making my own! Have done a larger one before so don't see why I won't be able to do it.
    The curnow tomoe river books are brilliant and duty not big on these small dynamos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by youstruckgold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsworth View Post
    The curnow tomoe river books are brilliant and duty not big on these small dynamos
    How flat do they open? (the tomoe river version)

Thanks

Do the 6 kinds of cutesy post-it note sets I just ordered from Yozocraft count?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avalona View Post
    Do the 6 kinds of cutesy post-it note sets I just ordered from Yozocraft count?
    Yes, but only if you post a pic.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde