Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

Default Re: The Boy Crisis

I give up.

Night-night.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 660 Posts

I hope I didn't offend you. I was/am interested in your(and others) thoughts on this.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (June 20th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I asked generally about rites of passage, cos I don't know.

Anyway, I've been watching this video and made a few notes (quotations for further exploration), but have to dash out halfway through, cos Łapa is complaining (rightly so) that she hasn't been outside yet. So... I have to take her out in the thunderstorm.

Kidology (YouTube): "How PSYCHOLOGY TOOK OVER the modern world...or, An Analysis of Jordan B. Peterson" (2022-02-28)
    NOTE: I can't vouch for Kidology having watched only one video only recently, and then this morning this video coincidentally (!) appeared as a suggestion.

[26:03] "Unlike Freud, [Peterson] has an audience of largely disgruntled, lower-middle-class-to-upper-middle-class, young, Caucasian men. They are literate, relatively well-educated, and, since the advent of a greater emphasis on identity, human rights, and especially women's rights, [and] have not only been relegated but quite brutally discarded by modern society and its standards."

[26:37] Kidology cites a study (or studies?) by University of South Florida: women who earn more than their male partners are twice as likely to fake orgasm which is explained as a kind of compensation. "Researchers have posited that this is the only true way in which one can identify masculine achievement in this day and age." (I'd think that the height of masculine achievement would be to bring women to orgasm. Heh.)

Kidology also mentions (without specific attribution) that studies show that "both men and women feel that men need to be married more than women do."

[Personal note: My (now ex-)husband used to joke, "I need a wife!" (To keep house.) I said, "OK! I'll quit my job and stay home and clean the house and cook." Nope! Not acceptable. "Then let's hire a house-cleaning service twice a month." (Small house -- and we weren't particularly messy.) Also not acceptable. Note that he would mop the floors and clean without complaining (aside from joking about needing a wife). He also sometimes sing out, "Why can't a woman be more like a man?" "You should have married a man, then," I'd answer. I mean, rhetorically, since this was some years before equal rights to marriage were granted in the U.S. -- BTW, I have felt sometimes, too, that I wished I'd had a wife, not necessarily a woman, but someone who loved me and took care of the quotidian chores so that I could conquer some creative project(s) that I never get around to cos of all my care-taking. P.S. I was not taught to put myself first, ever, so it's been a long, steep hill I'm still climbing.]

[27.38] Clarifying "young men have been discarded by modern society," she means existentially. "[W]hen it comes to an appreciation and finding of identity, that is in terms of purpose, critical theories have taken the historical place of the Caucasian male as the founder nd leader of the new world, of civilization, of the family and ideology and turned it on its head."

[28:12] "[W]hat made a family was not the man but the woman who had sacrificed her individuality in the interest of her husband and children and is biologically of greater value."

[28:24] "Ideology before critical theories failed miserably, because it didn't comprehend or feature or in any way represent the vast majority of the human population, namely women, non-white populations, children, other sexualities, genders. A consequence of this is that modern society celebrates everything except what it traditionally and historically was, and I would argue that this is because the beliefs and mores of the modern world are defined not by religion, as was the case in pre-modern times, or by ideology, as was most definitely the case last century, but by psychology, by a pre-occupation with the individual insofar as they [sic.] have a mind in need of study and health, insofar as the life of the mind is concerned, and insofar as emotions have become pivotal to understanding the modern human experience and economy."

[29:46] Due to psychology's "pre-occupation with the life of the mind, the psyche, and emotions, it is inherently feminine."

Someone mentioned "girl crisis." Just blurting out (in a hurry!): Seems that men have preyed on girls and women and boys... forever. (#notallmen #notonlymen -- I know, but generally, predominantly.) So is this a modern problem? Or is this an age-old problem that we're trying to solve? (That we think we can solve?)

(Łapa cries again.) Gotta dash!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 20th, 2022), Lloyd (June 20th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

I appreciate the effort you made for the other readers here, Ether. I've recently had a rough battle with COVID, and I still have brain fog (virus still not cleared), and so I have to limit screentime and watching vids just makes me dizzy. The quotes you typed up for us here are intriguing.

The only thing that I would add is that the traditional definitions of gender and parenting also have to be reexamined. That might be half the problem: the old boxes no longer work (the old flaws have had their full consequences now that the full weight of culture no longer presses people to suppress their discontent).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

It's complicated. Gender clearly is assigned as a biological sex-aligned thing at birth. Gender choice doesn't occur until later. How much later I have no idea. Are parents then to refrain from imprinting gender roles until such a time as a child can decide? Perhaps all children are neutral until then? I have no idea how any of this could work without causing a great deal of confusion in families (as the primary social construction site) and in the school system (both in formal and in the hidden curriculum).

Interestingly enough, pink used to be for boys and blue for girls, in Western societies. I'm reading sociology at University, so touch on a lot of this stuff (but I wouldn't say I understand it that well).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (June 20th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I appreciate the effort you made for the other readers here, Ether. I've recently had a rough battle with COVID, and I still have brain fog (virus still not cleared), and so I have to limit screentime and watching vids just makes me dizzy. The quotes you typed up for us here are intriguing.

The only thing that I would add is that the traditional definitions of gender and parenting also have to be reexamined. That might be half the problem: the old boxes no longer work (the old flaws have had their full consequences now that the full weight of culture no longer presses people to suppress their discontent).
    Sorry to hear about your experiences with COVID-19.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Thanks, Chuck. I wasn't going to mention it at all (it was all of last week), but I was grateful to Ether for distilling the video down to those intriguing passages, that I was able to digest.

Thanks

TS hope you have a speedy recovery.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bold2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Before we get too carried away by the South Florida study, we should include a photo of Johnny Depp’s fanatical female supporters. They sure appeared orgasmic!!😂😂😂

Having worked in healthcare with hundreds of women in various levels of responsibility, they can sure be an ugly bunch toward each other. Most women will agree if you ask.

Thanks

TS- Have you tried injecting bleach? I heard it may help....j/k
    I hope you feel better soon.

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Injecting bleach works!! I watched a YouTube video of a phd in logistics say it would work…..

The same guy said I needed to go back to cotton underwear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Someone mentioned "girl crisis." Just blurting out (in a hurry!): Seems that men have preyed on girls and women and boys... forever. (#notallmen #notonlymen -- I know, but generally, predominantly.) So is this a modern problem? Or is this an age-old problem that we're trying to solve? (That we think we can solve?)
    How Churches Can Do Better at Responding to Sexual Abuse
    June 19, 2022
    Tish Harrison Warren

In May, a third-party investigation into the Southern Baptist Convention, the largest Protestant denomination in the United States, concluded that some former members of its top leadership committee, along with outside counsel, “closely guarded information about abuse allegations and lawsuits” and “were singularly focused on avoiding liability.”

As a result, the report said, “survivors and others who reported abuse were ignored, disbelieved, or met with the constant refrain that the SBC could take no action” because of its organizational structure “even if it meant that convicted molesters continued in ministry.” The report also showed that hundreds of people associated with the denomination had been accused of abuse, and that a list containing their names had long been kept secret.

Rachael Denhollander is a lawyer and a former gymnast who was the first woman to publicly accuse Larry Nassar, the former doctor for U.S.A. Gymnastics, of sexual abuse. In addition, she has worked with survivors and Southern Baptist leaders over the past several years to urge action and accountability, to call for a third-party investigation and to demand that the denomination surrender confidential documents to investigators. She also served as an adviser for the Southern Baptist Convention’s Sexual Abuse Task Force, which was formed last year to respond to widespread allegations of abuse.

August Boto, the former general counsel for the Southern Baptist leadership branch that was investigated, called the work of advocates and survivors “a satanic scheme to completely distract us from evangelism.” He criticized Denhollander and another abuse survivor, saying that their “outcries” were evidence of the devil’s success.

When the Southern Baptist Convention held its annual meeting in Anaheim, Calif., last week, it voted overwhelmingly to implement the reforms suggested by the report, including forming a publicly available “ministry check” website that lists credibly accused abusers who have served in Southern Baptist churches and entities. It also approved a resolution that offered a formal apology to abuse survivors, mentioning some by name, and asked their forgiveness “for our failure to hold perpetrators of sexual abuse adequately accountable in our churches and institutions.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/19/o...e=articleShare

When the lawyer for a church denounces reports of rape, etc. as a "satanic scheme" that should lend insight as to the nature and persistence of male domination in established churches, athletic programs, etc.

An Irish priest, taxed with fondling his altar boys, reportedly said: "Jasus, Murphy! It's not a sin. It's a fringe benefit!"
    Last edited by Chip; June 20th, 2022 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks

Girls prey upon boys. Some have been called bot crazy. Make no mistake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Clearly satanic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Clearly satanic.
    The Devil made her do it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

Missed due to skimming. Wishing you a speedier recovery, Ted. The COVID bug scares me a lot. If I caught it I would likely end up as a statistic given my current health condition.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I trust you will stay well, EOC.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, but I don't think my fate is any longer in my hands.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Thanks, but I don't think my fate is any longer in my hands.
    When you think that, it becomes true.

Thanks

Age and infirmity are catching up to me.