Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New pen suggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Default Re: New pen suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    The idea is to enhance communication in an international forum, not to make it harder for others to understand. We all have our accents and we could replicate them here . There's no special talent to it.
    See, now I tend to think that a primary purpose of joining an international forum would be to expand one's horizons a bit. I enjoy hearing and learning new expressions, and learning about regional differences in language and culture, and found DumDum's posts colorful and fun to read. I see no need to try to make everyone sound identical.

I also disagree with your last two sentences. Most people would have enormous difficulty replicating their accent, because most people think they don't have an accent -- they think it's other people who have them. Their speech, they think, is normal and unaccented. So with a blind spot like that, it makes it hard for them to identify those distinctive little quirks they would have to transcribe in order to pull off a successful rendering of their accents. So I would say it does take a special talent. Furthermore, if the writer is trying to imitate speech by writing it down, that's essentially the same thing as writing dialog for a novel or a screenplay -- and it takes a special talent to write it whether in bland, homogenized, vanilla-flavored English or utilizing regionalisms.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

amk (January 10th, 2020), countrydirt (January 10th, 2020), ethernautrix (February 6th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (January 10th, 2020), azkid (January 14th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Lets see... mix Philadelphia/Southern New Jersey, with Central New York, and Pittsburgh..... The thought makes my head spin.
    Dude! My brother from another mother! I'm from Pittsburgh and went to school in Philly! Yins! Skookel River!
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Lets see... mix Philadelphia/Southern New Jersey, with Central New York, and Pittsburgh..... The thought makes my head spin.
    Dude! My brother from another mother! I'm from Pittsburgh and went to school in Philly! Yins! Skookel River!
    Giant Iggle (Eagle) supermarkets, "pop", Pittsburgh Stillers... on the other side of the state its "Churry Hill," and "wudder." In Syracuse, I was Ran Zurn. It hurt a guy who worked in radio and was very careful to avoid any regional accents.

It took me a while to catch it, but Tim Conway was using a western PA accent and style of speech when he was doing his Siamese Elephant sketch.
    Last edited by Ron Z; January 7th, 2020 at 06:33 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    The idea is to enhance communication in an international forum, not to make it harder for others to understand. We all have our accents and we could replicate them here . There's no special talent to it.
    See, now I tend to think that a primary purpose of joining an international forum would be to expand one's horizons a bit. I enjoy hearing and learning new expressions, and learning about regional differences in language and culture, and found DumDum's posts colorful and fun to read. I see no need to try to make everyone sound identical.

I also disagree with your last two sentences. Most people would have enormous difficulty replicating their accent, because most people think they don't have an accent -- they think it's other people who have them. Their speech, they think, is normal and unaccented. So with a blind spot like that, it makes it hard for them to identify those distinctive little quirks they would have to transcribe in order to pull off a successful rendering of their accents. So I would say it does take a special talent. Furthermore, if the writer is trying to imitate speech by writing it down, that's essentially the same thing as writing dialog for a novel or a screenplay -- and it takes a special talent to write it whether in bland, homogenized, vanilla-flavored English or utilizing regionalisms.
    There is quite a difference between hearing about new expressions in face to face speech and seeing them typed as text on a forum. Although I agree that many people have a blind spot where they don't believe they have a broad dialect when they do have one. When I was in my 20's, I was quite unaware I spoke with a broad Derbyshire dialect until I went to work in an insurance company office in London. There I was the butt of everyones jokes about my dialect and I was no longer under any illusions about it. My job was motor vehicle fleet underwriting and my mere mention of the words "haulage" and "hauliers" with their dropped initial "h's" would instantly make everyone in the office "crack-up." Even then I never considered writing exactly like I spoke. I was far to embarrassed to do that. I only ever mispronounced some words in speech, never in spelling/writing. I always knew when "me" should be "my" and in those days cellphones and text speak didn't exist. Now, I'll get me coat.

If a well-educated writer is deliberately trying to imitate broad dialect speech while typing it out, then he surely knows he has a dialect or accent and is deliberately trying to reproduce it as text, rather than believing he has no dialect. Does this mean he might be trying very hard to mislead others into believing he has a dialect for a particular reason? Why would someone wish to do that?
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 8th, 2020 at 02:36 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Wowzers.

Hardly would have credited that me way of writing should cause so much grizzling. All us was doing was firtling about for a new pen, but given the humongous variety of options, ended up pithering instead. That is often the way, eh?

Regarding me dialect, well, you could just take is read that I'm bit of a clarnet, but I like me dialect. Nothing to be shamed of. Don't hear me grizzling about the weird and wonderful (and oft beautiful) slang terms others occasionally introduce.

ps. Is this a forum where new members usually get bullied to conform to a bland cookie-cutter way of expressing themselves?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DumDum For This Useful Post:

amk (January 10th, 2020), ethernautrix (February 6th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
    ps. Is this a forum where new members usually get bullied to conform to a bland cookie-cutter way of expressing themselves?
    No absolutely not. And bullied is a rather strong term to use. We've had previous members who have tried to stand out from the crowd in different ways. If you are playing with us then that's up to you. Go right ahead.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 8th, 2020 at 02:34 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

pocky (January 10th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Sorry Chrissy. Grumpy old man day. Sitting here with a Venflon* in me arm. It's covered over but that just makes the skin itch after awhile, with no easy way to relieve it. [I have a nasty soft tissue infection on my face, you see, so the white coats have me on IV antibiotics]

And I must remember to use the face icon thingummies to clarify intent - tho' can't find one for mock outrage!

Too much information?

Edit: standing out in a crowd can be fun [unless someone is looking for volunteers who can play the piano]. We are all individuals after all.

Edit #2: * for those who may not know. A Venflon is a kind of plastic cannula, a means to keep open a tube into (in my case) a vein. Just means they don't have to stick a needle in me arm 3 times instead of one. Ouch

Edit #3: Just ordered a new pen! It's coming from afar, prolly on a slow boat too. Price was negligible - under 10 quid, so no VAT (hoorah). Someone mentioned a Parker 51. Not wanting to splurge yet, inbound comes a hooded nib of similar dimensions.
    Last edited by DumDum; January 8th, 2020 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks

DumDum, you made me laugh.

Hoping your pen arrives quickly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (February 6th, 2020)

Thanks

My experience is that once a question is answered, then threads tend to dissolve into frivolity and unrelated banter. Sometimes that happens before a question is answered. Sort of like sitting around with your brothers and sisters at a family gathering. Hard to keep track of all the directions the conversations take.

Ooh, look a squirrel
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to countrydirt For This Useful Post:

amk (January 11th, 2020)

Thanks

One of my best pens is a Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial from RonZ. He really adjusted the flow of ink perfectly on the extra fine nib.

Thanks

Ah hah!

Friend in the pub knows a guy, who turns up to be having the pen in the pictures below (and what I bought in a moment if impetuosity? impetuosness?)

Not sure what model this is, a Clipper or summat I expect. Any road up, the guy showed me how to work the filler thing - turning the arse end of the pen until this gold coloured tube slides out from under nib, and so on. So I filled it up. Dunno bout this nib tho' cos it writes more finer at a higher angle to paper and more fatter when going t'other way. The nib is bent up at the end a tad, but I reckon that's norm from other images on the Web I took a gander at.

Bit spendy, bout £50, but it's in top condition (no dents on cap or body, no big scuffs nor scratches).

Reasonable or unreasonable acquisition? [the guy says the filler tube is restored to former glory]

ps. is there a best size of images to post?
    Last edited by DumDum; January 14th, 2020 at 12:03 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DumDum For This Useful Post:

amk (January 14th, 2020), azkid (January 14th, 2020)

Thanks

Looks like a Sentinel to me. Congrats, snorkels are wonderful pens.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

That's wonderful, you have a Snorkel with a fude nib!

Thanks

Thanks (going to look up fude sometime). There are no dates on the pen, so no idea of age. The imprint is a bit faint tho' readable in good lighting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
    Thanks (going to look up fude sometime). There are no dates on the pen, so no idea of age. The imprint is a bit faint tho' readable in good lighting.
    The nibs are supposed to be turned up, though you do find cases where they don't. Since all of the NOS nibs I've seen have the turned up nib (it does make a big difference in writing) I assume that they were straightened out at the reques of an owner somewhere along the way.

The pens were made 1952-1959. Its difficult to narrow it down more than that, though there may be some minor design changes along the way that can perhaps more closely define a manufacture date. I don't go that deep into minutia like that.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

amk (January 15th, 2020), penwash (January 14th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (January 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    One of my best pens is a Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial from RonZ. He really adjusted the flow of ink perfectly on the extra fine nib.
    I have a Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial from RonZ too and it indeed also came absolutely perfect. Sadly it is hosed. I have to be 100% honest and say that it was indeed my own fault. Having used Pilot Blue Black my whole life without issue in all manner of vintage and modern pens, I, when the prices dropped, scored a bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao. I used it in that pen a bunch. Loved the pen. Loved the ink... and then it ate through the sack. NEVER AGAIN. Went back to all Waterman for my pneumatic pens. The one time I got adventurous. grr...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Looks like a Sentinel to me. Congrats, snorkels are wonderful pens.
    Yep Sentinel. A personal favorite. Enjoy it. I love those and oddly love those steel caps. Prefer it to the Crest (gold) or the self-colored plastic caps.

Thanks

It's not a fude, it is upturned. Commonly called Waverley: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...ibs/?p=1796081
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

amk (January 15th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (January 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Right-o. Watching some videos on the Tube I note something different. The "snorkel" of some pens differ from others. Some have straight cut ends and some have bevel cut ends (not sure if that's the correct terms). Also, some are silver coloured and some (like me own) are gold coloured. At the mo' I cannot find a source that explains these differences. Are they indicative of models or years?