Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have pen peace?

Thanks

Default Re: Do you have pen peace?

Pens often are about patience, DM. Patience waiting for the ink to dry, waiting for the shellac to cure, resisting the temptation to use brute force on that stuck section. You will get there but in the meantime enjoy what you have. It takes time for your hand and arm to grow accustomed to a pen and even that imperfect pen can be fun while you're waiting to get the perfect pen.

Whether it's right or not, we imagine fountain pens to be part of a slower, more considered time. If you can achieve that slower pace you may find you are better pleased with what you already have.

(Sounds a bit like The Master addressing Grasshopper, I know. I get that way after about the fourth Laphroaig.)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

amk (December 20th, 2020), BlkWhiteFilmPix (July 16th, 2021), Detman101 (December 20th, 2020), penwash (December 19th, 2020), Schaumburg_Swan (December 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    Pens often are about patience, DM. Patience waiting for the ink to dry, waiting for the shellac to cure, resisting the temptation to use brute force on that stuck section. You will get there but in the meantime enjoy what you have. It takes time for your hand and arm to grow accustomed to a pen and even that imperfect pen can be fun while you're waiting to get the perfect pen.

Whether it's right or not, we imagine fountain pens to be part of a slower, more considered time. If you can achieve that slower pace you may find you are better pleased with what you already have.

(Sounds a bit like The Master addressing Grasshopper, I know. I get that way after about the fourth Laphroaig.)
    As a 'person of age', I can attest that the 1950s at least were less harried.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 19th, 2020)

Thanks

I was at school in the fifties. The pace seemed to be much the same as it was when my kids were at school in the seventies and eighties. It would take someone a little older than me to attest to the workplace pace. I think these comparisons with former times tend to be a bit gold-tinged. I'm sure that if you were a labourer working on capital projects in the forties and fifties you might think the pace was quite quick enough.

Thanks

I was at school in the fifties. The pace seemed to be much the same as it was when my kids were at school in the seventies and eighties. It would take someone a little older than me to attest to the workplace pace. I think these comparisons with former times tend to be a bit gold-tinged. I'm sure that if you were a labourer working on capital projects in the forties and fifties you might think the pace was quite quick enough.

Pace was slower. Pace was quick enough. Some things were peobably slower, like change. Production was expected to be apace. According to my grandfather, overtime was plentiful.

Thanks

I'll say that the good old days weren't that good. Nor were they heaps better.

What I believe made life slower was that we didn't have the technology we have today. Our instant and constant connectivity via the internet and mobile phones for instance seemingly tempts us to to use every waking moment productivity instead of doing nothing but relaxing.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (July 16th, 2021), Detman101 (December 20th, 2020)

Thanks

I'll say that the good old days weren't that good. Nor were things in general heaps better.

What I believe made life slower was that we didn't have the technology we have today. Our instant and constant connectivity via the internet and mobile phones for instance seemingly tempts us to to use every waking moment productivity instead of doing nothing but relaxing.

Thanks

When I read these posts, I dont think I have pen peace, but I'm also not actively looking for new pens. I feel I have plenty. What I am planning to do is when I start traveling again (Japan or Italy), I plan on getting a nice pen from those countries. It means more to me than just ordering something online. But if there are good deals on sure I'll be tempted to get something online too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to noahs_ark For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noahs_ark View Post
    When I read these posts, I dont think I have pen peace, but I'm also not actively looking for new pens. I feel I have plenty. What I am planning to do is when I start traveling again (Japan or Italy), I plan on getting a nice pen from those countries. It means more to me than just ordering something online. But if there are good deals on sure I'll be tempted to get something online too.
    Now THAT is a grand idea!!
    Once the restrictions are lifted, that is a GREAT reason to travel!!
    Thank you!!!
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

This...this is part of what helps me find "Pen Peace".
    Thank you so much.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

That is a good tea.

Please tell Deb I hope her holidays are good. Let her know that my grand daughter used the Conway Stewart #84 and said it made her feel fancy. The pen now belongs to her.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

amk (December 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

Will do. I'm glad to hear that your grand daughter likes the CS84.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (December 20th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post

This...this is part of what helps me find "Pen Peace".
    Thank you so much.
    DM, this hobby is best enjoyed like a long trip, where you'd find encounters with different pens.

The most important realization (to me) early on, is that instead of striving for "THE ONE" perfect pen, you'd encounter many pens that are outstanding in different ways. However, in order for us to appreciate the various ways that a pen can be excellent, it does take time, and the more in a hurry we are, the more things seems to feel like "one step forward, two steps backwards".

I have many dear pen friends who, like @eachan, have been in this hobby for a long, long time. One thing in common that I observe (and picked up) from them, is that they are never in a hurry and they are genuinely appreciating various aspects of a pen (vintage and modern for some them). And the reason they could do that is because they allow themselves plenty of time to develop the taste, the appreciation, and along the way, the skills to revive pens that needed it.

Notice that I am not saying that there are no truly junk pens, of course there are, in fact part of the adventure is to identify which ones are worth our time.

I feel that you could use an alternate perspective.
    I hope this one will be of some help for you to enjoy this hobby more.

One thing is clear to me, the fact that you haven't given up so far, is a fantastic thing already.
    Last edited by penwash; December 20th, 2020 at 09:02 PM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (December 20th, 2020), eachan (December 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Having enough pens that you can find something in your collection worth writing with and/or worth playing with.

Thanks

Hobbies like this bring out the contrast between personalities. Some make it their life's work. Some start out fast and burn out. Others plod along, and then some get a few and move on. I suspect if we could observe these folks as they've lived their lives beyond this hobby, we would see a similar trend.

I've been a part of several forums including musical instruments, "wet" shaving forums, and now this one. The same personalities are present in each forum. I am just mentioning this because I began to notice.

Thanks

Can I both agree and disagree? Yes, I love my vintage and antique pens. They are gorgeous. And as far as celluloid goes, overall, I don't think that modern celluloid pens can hold a candle to vintage celluloid. I just bought a Conway-Stewart (vintage) that has me swooning. But some of the modern pens have me swooning as well. The two that spring immediately to mind are the new Estie in the Peacock colorway. I'm still trying to be able to say anything other than "sparkly" whenever I look at it. So..."Sparkly!". The other pen that has me hypnotized is the Lamy Dialog 3. It just appeals to my need to take things apart. And it's very sleek and minimalist. Come to think of it, I'm also very fond of the Diplomat Excellence A+ Bauhaus. The pattern on it reminds me of public bathroom floor tiles. I've always loved that pattern, and it never fails to hypnotize me.

I think there's plenty in both the antique/vintage and the modern categories that leaves me flat, as well. I suspect that's mostly a function of the physical and structural needs of fountain pens. There's only so much variation that can be employed before the pen becomes unusable as a pen.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

eachan (December 21st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TFarnon View Post
    Can I both agree and disagree? Yes, I love my vintage and antique pens. They are gorgeous. And as far as celluloid goes, overall, I don't think that modern celluloid pens can hold a candle to vintage celluloid. I just bought a Conway-Stewart (vintage) that has me swooning. But some of the modern pens have me swooning as well. The two that spring immediately to mind are the new Estie in the Peacock colorway. I'm still trying to be able to say anything other than "sparkly" whenever I look at it. So..."Sparkly!". The other pen that has me hypnotized is the Lamy Dialog 3. It just appeals to my need to take things apart. And it's very sleek and minimalist. Come to think of it, I'm also very fond of the Diplomat Excellence A+ Bauhaus. The pattern on it reminds me of public bathroom floor tiles. I've always loved that pattern, and it never fails to hypnotize me.

I think there's plenty in both the antique/vintage and the modern categories that leaves me flat, as well. I suspect that's mostly a function of the physical and structural needs of fountain pens. There's only so much variation that can be employed before the pen becomes unusable as a pen.
    I agree. My life and my business have been about vintage pens for many years. I love them and love working on them. I also have several modern pens and I particularly enjoy Japanese nibs. I'm sure many people enjoy both.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Hobbies like this bring out the contrast between personalities. Some make it their life's work. Some start out fast and burn out. Others plod along, and then some get a few and move on. I suspect if we could observe these folks as they've lived their lives beyond this hobby, we would see a similar trend.

I've been a part of several forums including musical instruments, "wet" shaving forums, and now this one. The same personalities are present in each forum. I am just mentioning this because I began to notice.
    I found a match striking forum the other day. Who'd have thoguht it? They had suppliers of papers for striking matches and all this kind of stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TFarnon View Post

I would agree with this.

95% of pens in my collection are vintage, but I love my few modern pens.

And truthfully, I don't know of any vintage pen fans who don't occasionally like or even have a few modern ones.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post

I found a match striking forum the other day. Who'd have thoguht it? They had suppliers of papers for striking matches and all this kind of stuff.
    I am not surprised. A friend has gotten me interested in smoking pipes. Not that I am interested in smoking, but I find pipes interesting. Yes, there are forums and yes there are those who've been there, done that and newbies just getting started with a collections of several dozen.....LOL!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jace View Post
    Just curious:

• Do you have pen peace in the sense you are happy with your fountain pen collection and not tempted to buy anymore?
    • How do you manage to curb temptations?
    • If you do not have pen peace, what are you aching to buy?

I want to say I have pen peace in that I don't think I will buy a fountain pen in the near future. And then this stripes version of the Pilot VP came up in a shop I frequently check and I am extremely tempted.

P.S. Tell me it is a waste of money and to not buy it! Or buy it up for me, so it is no longer available in the shop. Then gift it to me. Thanks, hehe.
    One of my first pens was a Decimo. The nib was defective, but instead of sending it back, I tried tuning it myself. It never wrote well, but I eventually dropped it and had and excuse to buy a new nib, which is perfect….though I’m noticing that after a few months, it’s writing a little bit broader than it did when new. Haven’t had this happen with any of my other gold nib pens, but it’s still a great writer.

Do I have pen peace? No, not yet. But there aren’t that many pens in my wishlist right now. I’d like another Decimo, because I use the one I have at work and it’s looking pretty beat up. I’d also like the Sailor Pro Gear in Blue Green Nebula, which I’ve put in and out of my cart on Cultpens so many times…I’d also like a Sailor 1911L and I definitely want to get a vintage Pelikan. I’d probably buy more pens if there were stores I could go to and see them in person…..and I’m sure when the pen show rolls around in my area, I’m definitely going to be tempted by other pens. I’d love an Aurora Optima, but I have yet to spend over $300 on a pen….not saying I never will, I just think I would be more likely to do so if I see the pens in person.