Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is FPGeeks still a pleasant place to stay?

Thanks

Default Re: Is FPGeeks still a pleasant place to stay?

I think so, given you avoid the "politics, religion, and society" subforum like the plague. I successfully avoided it for years and I regret ever posting there. I participate across many forums and this one is probably one of the best I know of.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    EiC felt bullied. I'm not saying he was or wasn't. I'm not suggesting ignoring his outbursts. I'm suggesting calmly discussing them, either through PM or openly, to get to the heart of what the issue is. I did it and it resulted in a good relationship. You even saw a public post where I told him I felt he was in the wrong and he didn't react negatively. He felt disrespected here. Once he knew how much respect I had for him and gave him a few reasons why, he trusted me. It didn't take much, but it did take me reaching out.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Been there, done that, with the member in question too.

Fred’s post is correct.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 659 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    EiC felt bullied. I'm not saying he was or wasn't. I'm not suggesting ignoring his outbursts. I'm suggesting calmly discussing them, either through PM or openly, to get to the heart of what the issue is. I did it and it resulted in a good relationship. You even saw a public post where I told him I felt he was in the wrong and he didn't react negatively. He felt disrespected here. Once he knew how much respect I had for him and gave him a few reasons why, he trusted me. It didn't take much, but it did take me reaching out.

Been there, done that, with the member in question too.

Fred’s post is correct.
    Just because it's correct to you, doesn't make it universally correct.

M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

I didn't assert that it was universally correct.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

As a reminder, I will note that the OP wrote more generally about this forum and the behavior over all. The degree that we continue to focus on one member perhaps highlights our reluctance to look in a mirror and improve the quality of our own interactions. Christof wrote more generally about the dynamics here. I accept my role in this, and, as I say, I am making steps to avoid similar patterns in the future.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 13th, 2022), christof (May 14th, 2022), Lloyd (May 13th, 2022)

Thanks

You didn't say it was correct to you, you labeled it as a correct statement.

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

Thanks

@Lloyd: I am awed and inspired by your very obvious and genuine compassion. I do not know what you do, but you surely come across as an accomplished professional who has much experience in matters such as these.
    I also want to agree, 100%, that there is not going to be anything which is "universally correct" in this matter.

But, I have to say that I, too, think that Fred’s post is correct. Even when dealing with needy humans, there comes a time when enough is enough. It's a matter of knowing "when to say when" and in this instance, personally, I think we are there. Some personalities simply cannot be rehabilitated and, indeed, some are actually fueled by the efforts of those kind spirits who keep trying to do so.

I do not anticipate you will agree...and that's fine...... but I do hope you understand this point of view.

I also agree that the OP's intent with this thread was about more than just this one individual. That is an important point which was already made by another.
    Last edited by 724Seney; May 13th, 2022 at 04:40 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

eachan (May 14th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (May 13th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    @Lloyd: I am awed and inspired by your very obvious and genuine compassion. I do not know what you do, but you surely come across as an accomplished professional who has much experience in matters such as these.
    I also want to agree, 100%, that there is not going to be anything which is "universally correct" in this matter.

But, I have to say that I, too, think that Fred’s post is correct. Even when dealing with needy humans, there comes a time when enough is enough. It's a matter of knowing "when to say when" and in this instance, personally, I think we are there. Some personalities simply cannot be rehabilitated and, indeed, some are actually fueled by the efforts of those kind spirits who keep trying to do so.

I do not anticipate you will agree...and that's fine...... but I do hope you understand this point of view.

I also agree that the OP's intent with this thread was about more than just this one individual. That is an important point which was already made by another.
    Thanks for the complement. By interacting through PM with EoC, and seeing his positive and negative posts on the forum, I think that, while he may have needed more support, he was a very valuable member who was trying to be a positive spark here. As for the op's query, I think it goes way beyond EoC, or at least should. There are many here who are quick to point the finger at others but refuse to look in a mirror.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

eachan (May 14th, 2022), TSherbs (May 13th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post

Thanks for the complement. By interacting through PM with EoC, and seeing his positive and negative posts on the forum, I think that, while he may have needed more support, he was a very valuable member who was trying to be a positive spark here. As for the op's query, I think it goes way beyond EoC, or at least should. There are many here who are quick to point the finger at others but refuse to look in a mirror.

Others have tried....and failed.
    But that should not dissuade you from trying; I wish you the best for much success.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (May 13th, 2022)

Thanks

You didn't say it was correct to you, you labeled it as a correct statement.

We don't have to play out your Monty Python signature. You can have your experience and opinion, and I can have mine.

I have on two occasions had conversations with the member in question, along the lines of what you describe; which is why I quoted you.

My personal experience is that Fred's hypothesis is correct. My personal observations are that Fred's hypothesis is correct.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 27th, 2022)

Thanks

Thank you, dneal, for making it a subjective comment. I can believe your two attempts failed with EoC. However, perhaps it was the tone as read that he misunderstood. He may have painted an image of you, realistic or not, that he biased your writing by. Perhaps if you didn't come across in some posts the way you do, he'd be more open to your support. It's just a theory, but it's worth wondering if we are trying to dominate or be peers.

Thanks

Oops
    Last edited by TSherbs; May 13th, 2022 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Yes, maybe he did contribute amply at times but there were others when he degenerated into being an aggressive name caller...
    This could be describing several persons here without much stretching, me among them.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (May 13th, 2022)

Thanks

Thank you, dneal, for making it a subjective comment. I can believe your two attempts failed with EoC. However, perhaps it was the tone as read that he misunderstood. He may have painted an image of you, realistic or not, that he biased your writing by. Perhaps if you didn't come across in some posts the way you do, he'd be more open to your support. It's just a theory, but it's worth wondering if we are trying to dominate or be peers.

Your speculation on the motives and minds of two individuals' personal conversations you were not part of are unnecessary, at best. I don’t know what set him off this last time. I saw the spat with Jon. I saw the “you can’t go home” thread. Once the P51 thread got contentious, I offered words of concern and compassion. I deleted them and went full drill sergeant when he started with the PIF business. I give him a lot more leeway than others, for the reasons you mention; and because he does start novel threads in an otherwise slow forum - but the PIF thing went to far, for me.

Fred could have posted that same comment years ago, and I would agree then too. I remember his previous screen name, I remember when he referred to his recent name in 3rd person. I remember many occasions when he “threatened” to leave. I have poked him for that and his eccentricities, but I have accepted them too. I have no problem acknowledging I can be abrasive, and why. I can also be compassionate and supportive, despite my agreement with Fred’s assessment.

Do I want EoC to leave? Not really. I find this forum a pleasant place to visit, to address the OP. I also understand human personality and behavior falls across a spectrum, as do the nature(s?) of internet forums. This one, without moderation, is a bit like a playground. We kids will have our spats, form cliques, and apply peer pressure and even bully to moderate group behavior. We will also offer advice, kindness and generosity. I’m ok with that, and all that does or doesn’t come with it.
    Last edited by dneal; May 13th, 2022 at 07:00 PM. Reason: fixed link

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 27th, 2022)

Thanks

At what point does this conversation become an example of what is meant by the expression 'flogging a dead horse'?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (May 13th, 2022)

Thanks

It doesn't have to be flogging at all.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (May 13th, 2022)

Thanks

dneal, with all due respect, my view of your posts differs greatly from yours. I read the full P51 thread (EoC saved it and shared it) and your words could not be justified. I wish you would read more of your own posts as thoroughly, and as much in an attempt to use it against someone else, as you do to other's posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    At what point does this conversation become an example of what is meant by the expression 'flogging a dead horse'?
    Unfortunately, we can't kill the horse as it holds the whip.

Thanks

dneal, with all due respect, my view of your posts differs greatly from yours. I read the full P51 thread (EoC saved it and shared it) and your words could not be justified. I wish you would read more of your own posts as thoroughly, and as much in an attempt to use it against the poster, as you do to other's posts.

I am very cognizant of what I post, and why. I'm well aware this medium is prone to misunderstanding. Expletives are not, which is why I use them when I choose. I make no apologies for it. EoC is entitled to his perspective, and so are you.

Perhaps you would do well to heed your own advice. Your posts now appear to me to be petty and bickering - your Monty Python argument. I'm done playing with that. There is much you seemingly are not aware of, and certainly much you are not privy to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    Believe me, I thought for a very long time whether I should really write the following. Especially at a time when there is more arguing than interesting content being posted. The reason why I do it anyway? - I have come to appreciate this forum very much, and its members as well. It has become dear to me.

I really like the idea of an unmoderated forum. After all, we are all adult persons and for a long time this worked very well but for some time I have less and less desire to come here.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not accusing anyone. But I wonder why there has been a spiteful tone here for some time. And I wonder why this forum is dominated by threads who hardly contribute any interesting content? And why are there hostile camps among the members instead of beeing just a community? What is the appeal of arguing on the internet and why don't we all try to make this forum a pleasant place to escape to for recreation from our daily lives?

I am not a judge and I will not take sides. But I ask you to think about, what kind of content you'd like to read. Shouldn't we all try to create more of interesting stuff and just ignore what we don't like? I am convinced that in this forum is enough space for everyone.

Christof
    As of the moment that I am quoting this, 18 members approved of the post. It's the most popular post in this thread. It deserves a reminder.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 13th, 2022), Chrissy (May 27th, 2022), dneal (May 13th, 2022), eachan (May 14th, 2022), Lloyd (May 13th, 2022)