Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MY TOP 10 MOST USED INKS OF 2021.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Default MY TOP 10 MOST USED INKS OF 2021.

Looking ahead to 2022, I took a little time to think about the pens and inks that I used in 2021. In 2021, my ink collection topped over 100 bottles of ink, which isn’t nearly as many as some of you inkophiles out there. But I have noticed that I tend to use certain inks more than others. I will leave the pen discussion to a later time, but I thought it might be interesting to share the inks which inks I used the most in 2021.

Every two or three weeks, I clean all of the fountain pens that I have inked. I usually have between 10 to 15 pens inked at a time depending on what I anticipate my writing needs to be. In most cases, I have used up the ink in them, or they are very close to being empty. The pens get a thorough cleaning and then allowed to dry. I then select the pens that I will be using for the next two to three weeks, and I select appropriate inks. My ink selection will vary between new inks that I want to try and inks that I know are reliable for the work that I do. After filling the pens, I write down the pen/ink combination in both my ink journal (Rhodia 80 gsm paper in Rhodia Reverse Notebook) and my regular journal (Tomoe River 52 gsm paper in Nanami Seven Seas notebook).

Earlier today, I tallied up the ink that I used through 2021 and compiled my top ten list of inks used. This isn’t a list of my favorite inks, just those that I used most through the year. All of these inks are standard inks, without shimmer, water resistance (in most cases), luminescence or any other special property. Most of these are what I call “workhorse” inks. A few are relatively new to me, but all of them are very well behaved and were used frequently throughout the year.

These were three inks that came very close to making “10 most used” list. They almost tied for the No. 10 spot, and I would like to briefly give them an "Honorable Mention":

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
    (Due to image limits, photos of these won't be posted)

Waterman Harmonious Green
    This is a medium green that is moderately wet and useful with any pen/nib combination in my collection. Because it is so reliable, this is also one of the inks that I use with new pens to evaluate how well the pen performs.

Birmingham Pen Company Twilight
    In 2021, I discovered Birmingham Pen Company inks. Twilight was one of the first inks that I purchased, and it has been in one of my pens ever since. This dark burgundy ink with gold sheen is nicely wet and very well behaved. It is dark enough to be useful in business applications yet versatile for everyday use.

Birmingham Pen Company Provence Lavender
    I purchased this lovely “periwinkle” lavender last summer and it is stayed in one of my pens ever since. It is not a lubricated ink and is moderate in terms of wetness, but it is a very soothing color and is a joy to write with.

Now for the Top Ten inks used in 2021:

#10: Birmingham Pen Company Ice Rink

BPC Ice Rink 1K.jpg

This is a very nice saturated medium blue that leans toward turquoise. Nicely lubricated and moderately wet, this ink has performed well in all of my pens, but especially in my fine and medium nibbed pens. I discovered, after a slight upset of my tea, that the ink is somewhat water resistant as well. It does not bleed or feather on most papers that I have used. There is some showthrough on lighter weight papers.

#9: Waterman Tender Purple

Waterman Tender Purple 1K.jpg

This is an iconic medium purple ink, well deserving of its reputation. It is moderately wet with minimal spreading, feathering, or bleeding. It is well behaved on most papers and a joy to write with. There are few inks that are as trouble free.

#8: Birmingham Pen Company Victorian Plum

BPC Victorian Plumb 1K.jpg

This was the first Birmingham Pen Company ink that I purchased in 2021. I was looking for a pleasant light purple ink with an antique feel that was soothing to the eyes yet pleasant to write with. No sheen, no shimmer, but tons of shading. Victorian Plum met my criteria, and has delivered a pleasant writing experience ever since. This is not a lubricated ink and is moderate in wetness. Since I purchased this ink, it has been consistently filled in my Lamy 2000 with medium nib.

#7: Sailor Manyo Konagi

Sailor Manyo Konagi 1k.jpg

This is an outstanding ink. It is a moderately saturated medium blue that leans ever so slightly to purple because of the light red sheen. It dries moderately quickly and has some water resistance, and shades very well. There are few inks that I would rate a “10” and this is one of them. It is nicely lubricated, moderately wet, well behaved in every way, and cleans very easily from my pens and converters.

#6: J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir

J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir 1K.jpg

This is another very nice ink. It is a lightly saturated blue-purple ink, that is quite wet and somewhat watery. For some pens, it can be too wet. But some new pens that just need a bit of head-start, this ink is well suited. It dries fairly quickly and works well with most papers. It does have a tendency to spread and feather a bit on lesser quality papers. It is not water resistant but cleans up easily.

#5: Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikubu

Pilot Iro Murasaki-shikubu 1K.jpg

This is another outstanding ink. It is a moderately saturated medium purple color with a transparency akin to watercolor. It does not sheen but shades very well. It is very well behaved on all papers I have used it on. It is not water resistant, but does extremely well in illustration. In fact, using this ink inspires me to draw my African Violets on my windowsill (yes, they are all in bloom now in spite of the snow and cold outside).

#4: Montblanc Swan Plume Illusion

Montblanc Swan Illusion 1k.jpg

People who know me know that I prefer cooler blues and purples. So what is a brownish-beige ink doing in my top 10 line-up? It is an ink that would likely be in my very top 10 favorite inks of all time!. I love this ink! This is a “master shader”. It taught other inks about how to shade! And it taught them how to do it without a lot of shimmer, glistening, pearlescence or gobs and gobs of sheen. This is a truly graceful ink. It is very well behaved. It has some feeling of lubrication and is not wet or dry. It does not need to be water resistant to behold its beauty and charm. It is simply a beautiful swan among the geese and ducks.

#3: Montblanc Royal Blue

Mont Blanc Royal Blue 1K.jpg

This ink is, and always will be, a staple in my ink collection. It does everything right and checks all of my boxes. It is, however, only somewhat water resistant. But I love the rich royal blue color which leans toward purple. I love that it is moderately saturated with only a small amount of sheen, but still shades nicely. It plays very nicely with every one of my pens, and also the papers that I use. It is a great ink, and one that is almost always in my ink “line-up”.

#2: Sailor Manyo Nadeshiko

Sailor Manyo Nadeshiko.jpg

This is another ink that would likely make my top 10 favorite inks – which is why I seem to use it a great deal. It is a lighter medium shade of blue, but is multichromatic with pale turquoise, pink and pale purple shading. It is not a lubricated ink, unlike many of the Sailor inks, and some consider it a bit on the dry side. I generally use it in a wider nib – which is most of my pens – that are a bit wetter anyway. But in spite of its demure color, this ink performs very well on any paper I have used it on. No feathering, no bleeding, and little ghosting except on light weight papers. Shading is exceptional and this ink halos very nicely. Absolutely excellent ink!

The next ink is not only the most used ink in 2021, but it is likely the ink that I have used the most of and my favorite ink of all time. It is . . .

Drum roll please!

#1: Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa

Pilot Iro Tsuyu-kusa 1k.jpg

This moderately saturated medium blue ink, with a light amount of lovely red shading is one of the very best inks I have used. It is, again, a perfect “10” for me. But it is not water resistant, so if that is important to you, then this may not be a perfect “10” for you. This ink is slightly lubricated and moderately wet. It looks great in all nibs sizes, but especially in wider nibs. It does not bleed, feather, spread and has little showthrough even on lighter papers. If I was stranded on a desert island with only one ink, I would want it to be PI Tsuyu-kusa.
    Now for the bad news: Pilot has decided to discontinue this ink. So, if you like it, get it now. Otherwise, it will be gone soon (think Parker Penman Sapphire) . (I already have several bottles tucked away until I can find a suitable replacement.)

So, that is my top 10 most used inks for 2021 list. As I said, this list only contains a few of my favorite inks. And perhaps someday, I will share my GOAT (Greatest of All Time) inks. But for now, I would like to know what inks did you use the most in 2021?

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 9th, 2022), carlos.q (January 1st, 2022), damfino (January 4th, 2022), Pterodactylus (January 1st, 2022), rkesey (January 13th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (January 1st, 2022), sospiro (January 1st, 2022), Yazeh (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: MY TOP 10 MOST USED INKS OF 2021.

Thanks Dr.P for this great summary.

Actually the ink I use most for years is always ESS Registrars Blue-Black as I usually have inked a pen permanently with this ink.

Normally it sits in my Serwex MB and is just refilled and refilled and refilled ……without cleaning or flushing it in between…….
    I know IG Desaster prophets and IG ink haters will need their heart pills now, but even this cheap crappy pen and it‘s steel nib did not suffered by any means from this many years lasting cycle.

2021 in October this behavior was broken up, as I used the Serwex in Inktober, every 4 days a new ink in it.
    Since then I didn’t refilled it with its usual ESSRI yet…….. we will see.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 4th, 2022), DrPenfection (January 1st, 2022), Yazeh (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Thanks Dr. P!

I can only really give top 3, because they clearly dominate my usage pattern. After that it is a toss up.

#3 Diamine Red Dragon (correcting student work)

#2 Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue (stalwart multi-use blue)

#1 Noodler's Heart of Darkness (stalwart multi-use black)

Nothing flashy here, just always in my pens.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 4th, 2022), DrPenfection (January 1st, 2022), Yazeh (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Great job.. Dr. P... lots of blues and lavenders. I know someone who will really would want those Birmingham ones

I have several pens permanently filled with dependable inks (KTC, Polar Green/Brown/ General of the Armies etc). But ironically those are not the most I use.
    Like Ptero, I have been using a lot of Essri, thanks to mizgeorge I had a vintage pen filled with it for the better of 6 months. I also enjoyed Registrars though I have to admit the flow wasn't the best.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 4th, 2022), DrPenfection (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Great job.. Dr. P... lots of blues and lavenders. I know someone who will really would want those Birmingham ones

I have several pens permanently filled with dependable inks (KTC, Polar Green/Brown/ General of the Armies etc). But ironically those are not the most I use.
    Like Ptero, I have been using a lot of Essri, thanks to mizgeorge I had a vintage pen filled with it for the better of 6 months. I also enjoyed Registrars though I have to admit the flow wasn't the best.
    You have to use ESSRI it in a wet flex pen there it‘s unbeatable.
    There is nothing better to tame e.g. an ancient Waterman gusher. 🧐

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

You have to use ESSRI it in a wet flex pen there it‘s unbeatable.
    There is nothing better to tame e.g. an ancient Waterman gusher. 🧐
    Mine was a Unic gusher. It couldn't handle Diamine Syrah. It poured out....Essri tamed it. I might have to try Registrars in it to see the difference....
    Last edited by Yazeh; January 1st, 2022 at 08:40 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 4th, 2022), DrPenfection (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

My top ten over the last year, and my pen friends see them more often than anything else. The first eight are always ready to go on my desk, which unfortunately cuts down on experiencing my other pens and inks. But hey...I've learned what I like.

1. Diamine Sargasso Sea - always in Conid Minimalistica, though sometimes replaced with Ackkerman Shocking Blue No. 5
    2. Omas Sepia - always in Sheaffer Triumph Vac-Fill desk pen
    3. Aurora Black - always in various vintage flex pens or the BlueDew
    4. Montblanc Toffee - always in Sheaffer Balance o/s EF flex
    5. Montblanc Racing Green - always in Sheaffer Sentinel Deluxe Vac-Fill
    6. Montblanc Midnight Blue - always in Montblanc 149 ca. 1973
    7. Diamine Red Dragon - always in maroon Pelikan M250 B C.I.
    8. jj's Vintage Black Cherry - limited supply but always in Sheaffer Admiral lever-filler with Feathertouch F stub
    9. Waterman Serenity Blue
    10. Montblanc blue/black IG
    Last edited by FredRydr; January 1st, 2022 at 10:11 AM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 4th, 2022), DrPenfection (January 1st, 2022), Lloyd (January 1st, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Yes that would be me too. *sigh*
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks

You are all amazing! Thank you for sharing your inks. I confess that I probably should use permanent inks more often . . . maybe . . . perhaps.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Yes that would be me too. *sigh*
    Perhaps we need to arrange a group buy for those who want BPC inks but can't get them. I am willing to help. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks

Excellent job! You peaked my interest in the Montblanc Swan Plume Illusion!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Cool thread, which further proven (to myself) that I'm not an "ink person"

I only used a handful of inks in 2021, with the most used being PenBBS #236 "Mandarin Duck Mallard"

It helps that I have a 60ml bottle of it which I transfer to a sample vial for use to test my restorations.

This blue ink is so versatila and I like the range of shades that it's capable of producing when used in washes.

Example:

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 4th, 2022), DrPenfection (January 1st, 2022), manoeuver (January 2nd, 2022), mizgeorge (January 2nd, 2022), Pterodactylus (January 1st, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (January 1st, 2022), Yazeh (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

I'm thinking, I'm thinking....

I use a lot of inks and I rotate fast. And, I'm an ink alchemist. More often than not, I use a mix: Who-Cares Brown, Midnight Blues, Murk, Rogue Rust, Century Red...

So all I can think of now is Monteverde Moonstone, perennially loaded in a Wing Sung 601.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (January 1st, 2022), Yazeh (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Cool thread, which further proven (to myself) that I'm not an "ink person"

I only used a handful of inks in 2021, with the most used being PenBBS #236 "Mandarin Duck Mallard"

It helps that I have a 60ml bottle of it which I transfer to a sample vial for use to test my restorations.

This blue ink is so versatila and I like the range of shades that it's capable of producing when used in washes.

Example:

Such a lovely drawing! I love blue inks (no surprise there). This looks like one that I need to try sometime.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I'm thinking, I'm thinking....

I use a lot of inks and I rotate fast. And, I'm an ink alchemist. More often than not, I use a mix: Who-Cares Brown, Midnight Blues, Murk, Rogue Rust, Century Red...

So all I can think of now is Monteverde Moonstone, perennially loaded in a Wing Sung 601.
    I think we are much alike in that. I seem to prefer less saturated inks, so I "blend" inks (in very small quantities of course) to obtain the shade I like. I also do that with drier inks to make them a bit wetter.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 2nd, 2022)

Thanks

For the record, yesterday I somehow got covered in one of my earliest ink mixes, 'Navy Green.' It was in my Dip Less well and I was attempting to clean it.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

For the record, yesterday I somehow got covered in one of my earliest ink mixes, 'Navy Green.' It was in my Dip Less well and I was attempting to clean it.
    Photos, please!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (January 3rd, 2022), Jon Szanto (January 2nd, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (January 2nd, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Photos, please!
    Sadly for you (but happily for me) they came out with the judicious application of alcohol, toothpaste, and shampoo.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 2nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Photos, please!
    Sadly for you (but happily for me) they came out with the judicious application of alcohol, toothpaste, and shampoo.
    You drink and brush your teeth in the shower?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Thank you for a very comprehensive and thoughtful survey of your ink use in the past year, and best wishes for a happy 2022. Now, with that said...

Get out of that Blue/Purple rut and start exploring the great panorama of colorful inks available to all of us!!!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (January 2nd, 2022)