Page 161 of 178 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 3559

Thread: What Pens(s) Are You Waiting For?

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default Re: What Pens(s) Are You Waiting For?

Early 1990s Montblanc 149.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RayCornett For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (February 19th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    The brown blue was cool, but I have soft spot for tortoise shell materials. It looks like a budget Pelikan Rennaissance brown.
    Ah, dude, we think alike! I saw it as the same style material as the Ren Brown.

The weird part is that at least in some of the photos, the blue/brown looks remarkably like the new Pel LE called "Stone Garden":

A number of the vendors seem to have differing names for the materials - the one I see most often for the above is "Art Brick Red". Odd.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    The brown blue was cool, but I have soft spot for tortoise shell materials. It looks like a budget Pelikan Rennaissance brown.

The weird part is that at least in some of the photos, the blue/brown looks remarkably like the new Pel LE called "Stone Garden":

A number of the vendors seem to have differing names for the materials - the one I see most often for the above is "Art Brick Red". Odd.

Huh. I hadn't put that together, but yes, it does look similar.

I do wonder how many manufacturers of acrylics/ebonites there are and how often there is overlap. Just a difference in final polishing/assembly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Calamus, was there a Jinhao in that box a while back?
    Yes indeed. However, the operative word was "bought." I've never bought a Chinese fountain pen.

No, wait. I did once, after all. It just wasn't a Chinese brand. It was a low-end Cross manufactured in China. I didn't like it, though, and returned it.

The Jinhao you slipped into your ink bomb turned out to be a surprisingly pleasant writer after I used it for a while, although it was a little draggy at first. Also the clip started to spin freely, and it looked like it was going to take a proprietary nutdriver to tighten it back up, but I was able to Mickey Mouse it with a discarded dental tool my dentist had given me, so it's back in fighting form again. Also, it's found its way into my regular rotation. So thank you.

Thanks

There are at least two marbled brown designs, one similar to the Rennaisance Brown and one similar to the Stone Garden, as well as two or maybe three marbly-swirly blues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    There are at least two marbled brown designs, one similar to the Rennaisance Brown and one similar to the Stone Garden, as well as two or maybe three marbly-swirly blues.
    I can't tell from your comment - are you referring to other Pelikans, or other Chinese pens?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

There are at least two marbled brown designs, one similar to the Renaissance Brown and one similar to the Stone Garden, as well as two or maybe three marbly-swirly blues.
    I can't tell from your comment - are you referring to other Pelikans, or other Chinese pens?
    Moonmans (Moonmen?) that resemble Pelikans. One (Moonman) similar to the (Pelikan) Renaissance Brown and one (Moonman) similar to the (Pelikan) Stone Garden, etc.

The point I was trying to make was that rather than the brown Moonman sometimes looking like a Pelikan Renaissance Brown and sometimes looking like a Pelikan Stone Garden, there are, in fact, two different styles of brown Moonman.
    Last edited by calamus; October 12th, 2018 at 03:54 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 12th, 2018)

Thanks

The point I was trying to make was that rather than the brown Moonman sometimes looking like a Pelikan Renaissance Brown and sometimes looking like a Pelikan Stone Garden, there are, in fact, two different styles of brown Moonman.
    I guess the posts going between Jon and I (Jon times two!) alluded to that fact: we both bought the Moonman that looks like the Ren Brown Pel, and then I mentioned the other Moonman color that looks like the Stone Garden.

It doesn't stop there, at least for 'common' materials: Moonman has a material that looks *very much* like the white/red celluloid known as "Koi". Some of the companies, like this one, are making good strides to creating their own look, but it is to be expected, I suppose, that they will still mimic other successful looks.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I guess the posts going between Jon and I (Jon times two!) alluded to that fact: we both bought the Moonman that looks like the Ren Brown Pel, and then I mentioned the other Moonman color that looks like the Stone Garden.

I
    I must have misread it; I thought someone was saying that there was one style of brown Moonman, and some of them looked like Stone Gardens and some like Renaissance Browns. Probably reading too fast. My bad.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    What is it? Where to find one?
    That's a Moonman Wancai Mini. I finally succumbed to all the glowing reviews -- after trying one at Pelikan Hub-Wrocław.

I bought mine (and the one for my mother) from jpzh11 on eBay (eBay link). Its formal name is Moonman Wancai Mini Ink Sac, haha. Anyway, seller starts the pricing at $0.99, but it's really just less than $15, with free shipping from China.

Mine arrived on the frist day of the estimated-delivery-date range. Came wuth a box of 6 std intl carts (black -- despite dark blue box) and two pipettes (which work better than expected).

When I went to fill the Mini, I realized, hey, the bottom is curved. I can't stand it up on its own. Weird. But okay. But after using it, I realized, ohhh, it's curved to facilitate posting the cap. Great design!

The nib is utilitarian -- best so far with the Kaweco Summer Purple and Noodler's Black. AWFUL with Akkermann Blue-Black. Almost as bad with Artist Line Cognac but not bad enough to change it back to black.

It's really a nifty little pen!
    Thanks, and thanks, Jon too. One is on it's way via the slow boat.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 16th, 2018)

Thanks

The Pilot Custom 74 has arrived from Japan! Took a week, $83 including shipping. It has the smoothest nib I've ever written with. And right out of the box. It's long enough that I can write with it comfortably unposted, but it's even more comfortable and beautifully balanced when posted. This pen just blows me away!

Last edited by calamus; October 16th, 2018 at 09:54 PM.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (October 16th, 2018), amk (November 5th, 2018), azkid (October 16th, 2018), Jon Szanto (October 17th, 2018), Kulprit (October 17th, 2018), Lloyd (October 17th, 2018), VertOlive (October 16th, 2018)

Thanks

The Pilot Custom 74 has arrived from Japan! Took a week, $83 including shipping. It has the smoothest nib I've ever written with. And right out of the box. It's long enough that I can write with it comfortably unposted, but it's even more comfortable and beautifully balanced when posted. This pen just blows me away!

I loved the one I had; it was sad to see it go, but the new owner appreciates it as much as I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kulprit For This Useful Post:

calamus (October 17th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Another MB 221 is on the way from Japan.

I know it is "just" a school pen but after considering a new fancy Pilot and some other options, I've come to really appreciate how ideal this pen design is for me both functionally and aesthetically.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post

I know it is "just" a school pen but after considering a new fancy Pilot and some other options, I've come to really appreciate how ideal this pen design is for me both functionally and aesthetically.
    Cool!

I for one never cared if a pen is a "school pen" or whatnot. If a pen is aesthetically pleasing to my eyes, comfortable to write with, and I can restore/repair/tune so it writes excellently, it's a good pen in my book.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

21. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 4th, 2018)

Thanks

An EF nib Pelikan 140 in green stripe and matching 450 pencil in an original leather etui . $87 and shipping off of ebay . Looks to be in reasonably nice condition , Gonna be my everyday carry set . Hoping for some good flex .

Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Southgate For This Useful Post:

amk (November 5th, 2018), azkid (November 4th, 2018)

Thanks

A Nakaya Neo-standard soft medium in aka-tamenuri. Cannot wait, but suspect I'm going to have to... No more pens for me this year!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post

Pretty and I never really saw the 221 as a 'school' pen, the one I had, had a rather springy/flex-ish nib, it was nice, I just didn't care for the cartridge/converter. (I would think the 3xx tier would be closer to a 'school' pen).

I have a 225 (Platinated cap, platinum coated nib, piston filling, http://pens.kbeezie.com/post/montblanc-225/ ), the 220 isn't much different than having the striated plastic cap and barrel.

Still have the 225, but have a 1960s 14 inked now (recent acquisition)

So yea, don't sell your 221 short. Excellent pen, great form factor for frequent usage, and easy to carry.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 6th, 2018), calamus (February 20th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Wow gorgeous pens! Now I may have to get one with the fancy cap!

My 221 also has a soft, springy nib. Wonderful feel. A little line variation, no flex really plus I don't want to crack the hood. The shape, grip, weight, balance are all terrific.

I keep coming back to it. It's the only pen I hesitate to put test ink into because I can't be without it for more than a few days. Heck, I just bought a bottle of MB Permanent Black just for this one pen.

Also waiting on a second pen, now. I found a deal here on FPG on a wish list pen, a Pilot Stargazer. I just couldn't pass it up. Should be here in a few days (since it isn't coming from Japan).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

calamus (February 20th, 2019), VertOlive (February 19th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

I'm waiting for this vintage beauty to arrive from Great Britain:

IMG_0035.JPG

31. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 22nd, 2019)