Thread: Evaporation of Vintage Sheaffer Skrip

Thanks

Default Evaporation of Vintage Sheaffer Skrip

Hello,

I recently purchased a NOS bottle of vintage Sheaffer Skrip #42 washable blue. When I removed it from the box I noticed the bottle was about 75% full. I'm assuming this is a result of evaporation. Would adding distilled water restore this ink to its original shade? Is there a down side to doing this?

Thanks

NK

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Evaporation of Vintage Sheaffer Skrip

If you're sure it's new and evaporated, rather than spilled, then adding water should restore it to something like it's original shade. Ideally it would be good to know what the original colour should be, but if that's not possible check out what colour it is now and add water until you like the colour it becomes.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Try adding water (or the fluid De Atramentis makes) a little at a time to a small amount of ink, and keep track of the proportions and see how well it works.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Try adding water (or the fluid De Atramentis makes) a little at a time to a small amount of ink, and keep track of the proportions and see how well it works.
    The fluid that De Atramentis makes for their document inks should not be added to any dye based inks like Sheaffer ink. The reason they market this fluid is because you can't add water to their document inks.

Sheaffer Skrip is a dye based ink. Adding water to it will work perfectly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 18th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The fluid that De Atramentis makes for their document inks should not be added to any dye based inks like Sheaffer ink. The reason they market this fluid is because you can't add water to their document inks.

I read a review of the dilution fluid on the Goulet Pens site in which the reviewer said she'd used it with very good results with not only DA document inks, but with other inks as well, including Diamine and Iroshizuku. She also said she used with a dry Noodler's ink to lubricate it and make it wetter. I suppose that maybe she just thought it was working well, and some day a few years from now the pens she used it in might dissolve into nothing, or the ink in those pens might become sentient and grow and start devouring entire villages. Maybe the best thing to do would be to email Dr. Jansen at De Atramentis and ask him. If anyone would know he would. He's very quick to respond when queried; perhaps I'll ask him and report back on what he said.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Try an undiluted bit. If you like the color, then use it up. I have had a few bottles of late '50s Skrip and Quink that seemed a little more saturated and a little darker. I have a Quink Royal Blue that writes a dark blue, perfect for being mixed with a little current Quink Permanent Blue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

I read a review of the dilution fluid on the Goulet Pens site in which the reviewer said she'd used it with very good results with not only DA document inks, but with other inks as well, including Diamine and Iroshizuku. She also said she used with a dry Noodler's ink to lubricate it and make it wetter. I suppose that maybe she just thought it was working well, and some day a few years from now the pens she used it in might dissolve into nothing, or the ink in those pens might become sentient and grow and start devouring entire villages. Maybe the best thing to do would be to email Dr. Jansen at De Atramentis and ask him. If anyone would know he would. He's very quick to respond when queried; perhaps I'll ask him and report back on what he said.
    The premise is that you can dilute any dye inks with water if you want to, when you want to change the colour, or replace water that has evaporated, for example.

Pigment based inks can't easily be diluted with water so De Atramentis came up with a fluid that works as well to dilute those inks, as water works for dye based inks.

Why would you use a more expensive special alternative to replace water in a dye based ink, if water was going to do the job perfectly well?
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 22nd, 2019 at 10:52 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

calamus (April 23rd, 2019), Jon Szanto (April 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Try an undiluted bit. If you like the color, then use it up.
    The one caveat I'd add is that this depends on the level of evaporation. An ink that has become highly saturated may look really swell but may take anywhere from a long time to never to dry. Many inks that evap out in pens can end up smudging days and weeks later. That is at least one reason to add water and return hydration to normal levels. Obviously, your suggestion is something that can't hurt to try first.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Thanks to everyone that replied to my question regarding evaporation in a vintage bottle of NOS Sheaffer ink. I decided to use it "as is" and I am pleased with the results. The ink worked well when used with a vintage Sheaffer snorkel. It goes on dark and dries to a lighter shade of blue.

Regards,
    NK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by newkid View Post
    Thanks to everyone that replied to my question regarding evaporation in a vintage bottle of NOS Sheaffer ink. I decided to use it "as is" and I am pleased with the results. The ink worked well when used with a vintage Sheaffer snorkel. It goes on dark and dries to a lighter shade of blue.

Regards,
    NK
    We all like happy endings!

We also like pictures....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

calamus (April 23rd, 2019)