Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are so many folk having problems registering?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Why are so many folk having problems registering?

Have we decided to limit membership?

Thanks

Default Re: Why are so many folk having problems registering?

Yes. I like that the spammers have been greatly reduced and we have no ads, but I have been seeing several comments in the chat box about waiting to post, including one today that has been waiting a week.

Thanks

Has anyone tried contacting the Admin?

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Has anyone tried contacting the Admin?
    I have heard from someone backchannel who says that several people have tried to contact him recently about various issues and have not yet received any response.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

This board is apparently on auto-pilot. No one answers the phones. No one, apparently, is attending to issues, items, or new members. We are adrift, and nothing can be done.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

reprieve (July 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    This board is apparently on auto-pilot. No one answers the phones. No one, apparently, is attending to issues, items, or new members. We are adrift, and nothing can be done.
    It's so sad. We're a shadow of what we use to be. We're like Gillian's island.

Thanks

Nevermind...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

To re-iterate what I said recently, this is the issue of most concern & will result in the death of this forum. Eric is unlikely to want to continue funding the site. Without new members the forum will shrink to a small core group, trying desperately to keep the place afloat, but ultimately failing. That happens because the core group becomes like an exclusive clique, with all good intentions and without meaning to, but it puts others off.

Without minimum moderation and posting discipline threads will drift and become less relevant to fountain pen users, & subject matter of less interest. This is already happening; the site is getting to be just a chat room and people don't want to wade through lots of 'noise' to find info of interest. I've seem it happen to other, much larger, forums.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Funding doesn't seem to be the issue, so long as Eric doesn't pull hte plug on his server (he hosts us, so there is zero funding necessary unless he decides to stop hosting us.)

The lack of Admin is problematic, if anyone here knows Eric personally and could please ask him to make a couple trusted people admin so that issues like spam, or registration problems, can be taken care fo that would solve the issue.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Funding doesn't seem to be the issue, so long as Eric doesn't pull hte plug on his server (he hosts us, so there is zero funding necessary unless he decides to stop hosting us.)
    We were gone in the blink of an eye for a period just a few months ago. There is nothing to prevent that from happening in precisely the same manner, at any point.

The lack of Admin is problematic, if anyone here knows Eric personally and could please ask him to make a couple trusted people admin so that issues like spam, or registration problems, can be taken care fo that would solve the issue.
    People have been attempting contact. He is not responding.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

reprieve (July 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

We were gone in the blink of an eye for a period just a few months ago. There is nothing to prevent that from happening in precisely the same manner, at any point.

Then maybe it is time to research into rebuilding the forum elsewhere. We'd need a new name as Eric owns FPGeeks, but we're a creative sort. And we'd need a bit of money a year for hosting costs, but it would remove the uncertainty.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Hawk (July 12th, 2015), Jon Szanto (July 12th, 2015), reprieve (July 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I love the friendly atmosphere here and the relaxed feeling. It's enjoyable. That said there has been one troll of gigantic proportion recently, and one long thread that is a horror show of gigantic proportions IMO. As Quantum Sailor said, " I'm not really big on censoring people, but at the same time I'm not really big on train wrecks either." Too much moderation, and this place will lose what makes it special. Absolutely no moderation, and this place will lose what makes it special. We can all see that.

I personally don't need an all-business forum about fountain pens, because I already have one of those, and it's a well-run place that already does things perfectly well, and I like it there just fine. JMHO. No place is perfect, but I like this place. I personally want FPG back. The one where trolls were actually warned and given time outs if necessary, and new people could join, and some people were politely asked to stop when their repeated posting of the same contentious material added nothing new (and then did stop, to be fair). Or add an "ignore thread." There are lots of options.

It seems that Eric hasn't been responding to his emails here, or to messages through "report post." Perhaps he's on vacation. Perhaps he's busy. Maybe if enough of us tried to contact him nicely, he'd take some action. You'll remember his post here, where he seemed to ask for feedback and posted his email, which is eric@fpgeeks.com. Maybe we could reach out to him (and I know some of us have tried, but let's try again). Maybe he's just missed what's going on.

He also posted his cellphone number there, but I'm not calling someone I don't know that well. Maybe someone who does know him will call?

Even if you love things just as they are right now, it's still a problem if new people sign up but can't post, and are left in limbo because no one seems to be responding to them.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 13th, 2015), Cob (July 13th, 2015), Deb (July 13th, 2015), Hawk (July 12th, 2015), Jon Szanto (July 12th, 2015), Llewellyn (July 16th, 2015), Neo (July 12th, 2015), reprieve (July 12th, 2015)

Thanks

As I recall, when everything blew up, the Andersons were in contact with Eric. Could someone contact them? Maybe they have some pull with Eric. I think maybe they were the ones that got him to at least put the forum back up.

But maybe he's just hoping the forum will die if he ignores it. It'll all just go away.

Susan
    Show me a shiny blue fountain pen and I will probably buy it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

How do we know there are throngs of would be members waiting in the wings?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Because they get access to the chatbox upon registration and tell us; apparently that access is automatically granted before the OK to post is given. I don't know if it's throngs, but probably every one of them doesn't tell us in the chatbox anyway.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gbryal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 13th, 2015), Jon Szanto (July 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    As mentioned, there have been a number of people active in the chatbox that have alerted regular members to the fact that they signed up but have yet to get any approval, hence are unable to post. This has never been an issue in the past. I have a hunch Trump thought they were trying to sneak across the border to cause mayhem.

~ Benjamin Franklin

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 13th, 2015), Chrissy (July 13th, 2015), Hawk (July 13th, 2015)

Thanks

I'd rather see some spammers get through than have new members being prevented from posting. I also didn't realize that there was a probationary period in place. When did that change?

Thanks

I don't think there is a probationary period. The problem is that a moderator has to approve their request and there is no moderator, as far as I can tell.
    Show me a shiny blue fountain pen and I will probably buy it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susan3141 View Post
    I don't think there is a probationary period. The problem is that a moderator has to approve their request and there is no moderator, as far as I can tell.
    Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry to be unclear. When I registered a couple of years ago, there was an automatically generated e-mail confirmation--I clicked a link that was sent to my e-mail address to confirm my registration. But there was no other approval process that I can remember, and, as far as I know, no human being had to approve my membership. Is this something that has changed? Or was I just unaware?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post

Then maybe it is time to research into rebuilding the forum elsewhere. We'd need a new name as Eric owns FPGeeks, but we're a creative sort. And we'd need a bit of money a year for hosting costs, but it would remove the uncertainty.

Something like that is already in place.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Hawk (July 13th, 2015)