Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of Christian

Thanks

Default Re: Definition of Christian

New definition:
    A Christian is one who is obsessed/fixated with the 'story' of Jesus Christ.

One question for so-called Christians - thinking objectively, how can one vet an angel or messiah to be sure they are not, say for example, the devil or similar malevolent being in disguise? Of course, there is the concept of 'faith' but isn't this used to subjugate and exploit believers of all religions?

I wonder how it is religion still survives when we have the well established concept of 'intelligence', such as used by military or police, to investigate and explain otherwise mysterious and confusing incidents/events.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    New definition:

One question for so-called Christians - thinking objectively, how can one vet an angel or messiah to be sure they are not, say for example, the devil or similar malevolent being in disguise? Of course, there is the concept of 'faith' but isn't this used to subjugate and exploit believers of all religions?

I wonder how it is religion still survives when we have the well established concept of 'intelligence', such as used by military or police, to investigate and explain otherwise mysterious and confusing incidents/events.
    Indeed. Why religious belief exists at all is something of a mystery, when none of it holds up when even the weakest light of inquiry is cast on it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (April 1st, 2018)

Thanks

Life is generally shit, if you’re not easily amused. I can find a reason why an institution giving hope and positivity would exist. Besides, the religion of atheism is far more obtrusive, and I’m not religious beyond spending extra money on Christmas and eating hard boiled eggs on Easter.

Thanks

The religion of atheism, well put.

Matthew 18:3 in regards to the child matter.

Thanks

And so the eternal cycle of the Yugas proceeds as always... theism, polytheism, monotheism, atheism - and repeat.

Thanks

To me Christianity means love and sacrifice. Jesus spread love and only love. Unfortunately, churches and rulers didn't follow the path of love. Jesus sacrificed his life for his ideology and as a result he is most probably the most short-lived prophet. Even he could not went many places to spread Christianity as can be seen from his tour map on wikitour. Its astonishing how his followers have been use a path of hatred, how they tortured Galileo and other scientists!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to john1565 For This Useful Post:

SIR (March 30th, 2018)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Fermata;234962][QUOTE=Drubbing;234954][QUOTE=Fermata;234748][QUOTE=Drubbing;234741]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    I know too many people that have had life changing moments, call it Damascene events if you like, not to have a rock solid belief and Faith.

I have seen you provoke, annoy and belittle anyone who doesnt agree with you on two forums, stating your opinions as facts and goading people into a response even when you state, as you have done now, that the topic on 'what is a Christian' is not relevant as you dont agree with religous belief.

If you dont have a dog in the race step away from the keyboard and stop being a Troll, and an annoying one at that.
    Only annoying to you it seems. I'll lose heaps of sleep over that. As for goading people in my response, you're the only one seeing that too. From what I can see, anyone with an opinion has a dog in this race, it's not a thread that excludes non believers. So I'll state my opinion along with everyone else.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
    I understand what you are saying JAR, and I think that even if a child at an early age, is introduced to the best version of Christianity by the most well meaning and altruistic teachers, the ability of its message and corresponding faith sticking depend on the individual receiving the message. In this optimal scenario, I think you would end up with significantly more lifetime believers than normal Christian parishes achieve, but never achieve 100% success. Faith is very individual and some will choose to believe the tenets of Christianity but others will not believe, some for selfish reasons, but others for sound, logical reasons (most certainly logical to them) due to atheism or another religion.
    But that is very reasonable and also desirable.

There are two connected and inseparable parts involved, those things which can be tested and verified and those things which are unevidenced. The moral system, ethical system that can be tested and does effect society would fall under the first part while concepts like any post life judgement, even the afterlife itself as well as the existence of a God or of sin or a dogma such as the Trinity all fall in the latter group.

We fail though within Christianity to teach the distinctions or necessary discrimination for the members to see and understand those facts.

Thanks

New definition:

Honestly, there is no way to vet an angel or messiah to be sure they are not, say for example, the devil or similar malevolent being in disguise or even if they exist.

And yes, faith can be used to subjugate people but it is certainly not unique to religion. Look at sports or politics or economics or advertising and even there you find faith playing a big part.

And there isn't really such a thing as "the 'story' of Jesus Christ" but just as with the Bible or Chapters of the Club or most any other thing there are variations on a theme. Some great examples of that can be found in the Bible itself. Not only does the character and traits of God vary from story to story, the "'story' of Jesus Christ" as told by John is different than the "'story' of Jesus Christ" as told in the Synoptic Gospels and even something a basic to Christianity as the Great Commissions changes and evolves with every retelling within the Bible.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Drubbing;235503][QUOTE=Fermata;234962][QUOTE=Drubbing;234954][QUOTE=Fermata;234748]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drubbing View Post
    I know too many people that have had life changing moments, call it Damascene events if you like, not to have a rock solid belief and Faith.

I have seen you provoke, annoy and belittle anyone who doesnt agree with you on two forums, stating your opinions as facts and goading people into a response even when you state, as you have done now, that the topic on 'what is a Christian' is not relevant as you dont agree with religous belief.

If you dont have a dog in the race step away from the keyboard and stop being a Troll, and an annoying one at that.
    Only annoying to you it seems. I'll lose heaps of sleep over that.

As for goading people in my response, you're the only one seeing that too.

From what I can see, anyone with an opinion has a dog in this race, it's not a thread that excludes non believers.

So I'll state my opinion along with everyone else.

Thank God I dont have to listen to you in real life, pompous prick.
    Last edited by Fermata; April 1st, 2018 at 02:33 AM.

Thanks

Cool Re: Definition of Christian

Thank God I dont have to listen to you in real life, pompous prick.
    Pretty much what i'd say to the Pope, Dalai Lama, Queen of England et al... if i ever had the opportunity.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Bzzer (April 2nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

Indeed. Why religious belief exists at all is something of a mystery, when none of it holds up when even the weakest light of inquiry is cast on it.
    Something along the lines of this came up during a Peterson / Haidt discussion about the state of our current universities. Although they seem to single out the progressive left, they note it applies to any viewpoint that becomes “fundamentalist”. Interesting and perhaps salient clip...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    And there isn't really such a thing as "the 'story' of Jesus Christ" but just as with the Bible or Chapters of the Club or most any other thing there are variations on a theme. Some great examples of that can be found in the Bible itself. Not only does the character and traits of God vary from story to story, the "'story' of Jesus Christ" as told by John is different than the "'story' of Jesus Christ" as told in the Synoptic Gospels and even something a basic to Christianity as the Great Commissions changes and evolves with every retelling within the Bible.
    Jesus was considered a traitor, a fraud, and an ideological criminal by the educated elite of his own contemporary society, yet judged to be without fault by the representative of the foreign occupiers... and retrospectively, looking at the history of the relationship between the Roman Empire, Christians, and Jews since, it is easy to see why.

Essentially my opinion of all religious proponents is that they, no matter how well meaning, are frauds and traitors, to themselves and their own society. Politicians, royalty, and other unqualified and so-called leaders fall into the same category.

Religion is like the ultimate corruption; 'believe' in a superior and ultimate power and what judgment have you cast upon yourself?

Thanks

Jesus was considered a traitor, a fraud, and an ideological criminal by the educated elite of his own contemporary society, yet judged to be without fault by the representative of the foreign occupiers... and retrospectively, looking at the history of the relationship between the Roman Empire, Christians, and Jews since, it is easy to see why.

Essentially my opinion of all religious proponents is that they, no matter how well meaning, are frauds and traitors, to themselves and their own society. Politicians, royalty, and other unqualified and so-called leaders fall into the same category.

Religion is like the ultimate corruption; 'believe' in a superior and ultimate power and what judgment have you cast upon yourself?
    Feel all better now?

Thanks

Watched a TV program called the scariest night of my life. One of the first people shown, who came across very well, had been visited by an evil spirit during the night, the description of what happened to her was terrifying in the extreme, it had only started when she began using a ouija board. The spirit left when she called on Gods help to get rid of the spirit.

The same thing happened to me over three successive nights, with an evil force gathering strength until the third night felt like a battlefield and I had to call on Christ's help to get rid of the evil force, nothing short of extreme fear on my part.

Thanks

Feel all better now?
    You should watch Dmitry Vasyukov and Werner Herzog's "Happy People"; a four hour film covering four seasons of life in a Siberian hunting community near the Taiga... barring a single reference to house fires and negligence, no mention of god or religion.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1683876/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cijkIXXiSW4

Thanks

Feel all better now?
    You should watch Dmitry Vasyukov and Werner Herzog's "Happy People"; a four hour film covering four seasons of life in a Siberian hunting community near the Taiga... barring a single reference to house fires and negligence, no mention of god or religion.

Why should I watch any video? And what could that possibly have to do with the topic?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Religion is based primarily upon fear.

It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly as the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes. Fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand. It is because fear is at the basis of those two things.

In this world we can now begin a little to understand things, and a little to master them by help of science, which has forced its way step by step against the opposition of all the old precepts. Science can help us to get over this craven fear in which mankind has lived for so many generations. Science can teach us, and I think our own hearts can teach us, no longer to look around for imaginary supports, no longer to invent allies in the sky, but rather to look to our own efforts here below to make this world a fit place to live in, instead of the place that the churches in all these centuries have made it.

Thanks

Feel all better now?

Why should I watch any video? And what could that possibly have to do with the topic?
    Of course, you jest?

Thanks

Feel all better now?

Of course, you jest?
    No, I do not jest. Unless someone presents a reasoned argument for me to waste time watching a video I will choose not to. And so far you have not presented any reasoning to encourage me to watch the video or presented any explanation of what it might have to do with the topic.