Thread: JinHao 992 review

Thanks

Default JinHao 992 review

This is not a pen you would give to someone you want to impress. It’s cheap and looks it. I paid $2.37 for mine with free shipping. I was just curious.

It’s a standard cigar shape, mostly shiny plastic except for the metal band and clip. Mine already shows some minor scuffs. There was even a tiny bump on the side of the cap. The grip has obvious mold seams. The end of the barrel has a funny shaped knob that looks out of place.

The cap was very scrunchy and hard to screw and unscrew. I’ve never run into this before. It’s OK now after working with it for a while and applying a touch of Chapstick for lube. It posts well.

The nib is the same fine number 5 as my JinHao 51a, 200, and 599A. Alignment was OK, but it wrote very dry until I opened it up using shims. After a little smoothing, it writes nicely.

It’s very light and comfortable to hold. Functionally, it compares well with my more expensive 200 and 51A. So, if you want a pen that you don’t have to worry about someone stealing, here you go.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Parsimonious For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (March 31st, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: JinHao 992 review

I bought a group of 6 or 7 different colors. I have less than $2.00 US in each pen. I was amazed how good the pen is for writing. Looks, just OK. Yes, it feels and looks like a cheap pen.
    I sent one to my daughter and my wife uses another - both are happy. The nib is proven and when it works, it works well. I plan on making at least one of these into an eyedropper filler.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Yup, I have a few of the translucent ones. Most of them wrote just fine out of the box, not even a cleaning. The green one was problematic, and retired.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

It's not something your heirs will fight over, but if you like a light weight pen it's fine. You may have to fool with it a bit like I did, but the JinHao nib is a decent writer if it's adjusted right.

Thanks

I got a pack of six for less then the cost of a couple of pints of beer. I use them for inks I wouldn't want to put in a better pen. They worked perfectly right out of the plastic wrapper.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 26th, 2021), Scrawler (June 1st, 2021)

Thanks

It's funny how opinions can change. My first impression of this pen was bad. Maybe it was because of the crunchy threads of the cap, or minor scuffs on the barrel. But, after using it a while I've grown fond of it. Sure, I had to fix those tight threads and work with the nib a bit. But, having done that, it's just a really nice pen to write with. It even looks better to me. The scuffs aren't obvious unless I look for them under the right light. So, It's not a classy pen, but it is one that I will use often.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Parsimonious For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 31st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

What I don't like about these pens is that it's tricky to pull out the feed out of the plastic casing... otherwise their decent pens for what they are ....

Thanks

So I finally made one into an eyedropper. Used some silicone grease on the threads for safety. My wife has had it in regular use for a couple of weeks and it is working quite well. I highly recommend people have some fun with these.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phhphd View Post
    So I finally made one into an eyedropper. Used some silicone grease on the threads for safety. My wife has had it in regular use for a couple of weeks and it is working quite well. I highly recommend people have some fun with these.
    One caution about using it as an eyedropper. This pen is prone to cracks in the barrel where the little button is pressed in. On close examination, mine had one. I popped out the button from the inside, reamed out the hole a bit and glued the button in with some plastic adhesive. If the crack were wide enough, an eyedropper might leak.

I still like this pen and have ordered another one in clear coffee color.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parsimonious View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phhphd View Post
    One caution about using it as an eyedropper. This pen is prone to cracks in the barrel where the little button is pressed in. On close examination, mine had one. I popped out the button from the inside, reamed out the hole a bit and glued the button in with some plastic adhesive. If the crack were wide enough, an eyedropper might leak.

I still like this pen and have ordered another one in clear coffee color.
    I covered mine with nail varnish because of that. But I guess your system is more intelligent and practical.
    I personally dislike these pens as it's difficult to remove the nib and feed.
    On the plus side, when they write well. Their truly exceptional pens for the price...

Thanks

I found my method on the Web. I would give credit, but I don't remember where I saw it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Parsimonious For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parsimonious View Post
    I found my method on the Web. I would give credit, but I don't remember where I saw it.
    Still you did it....Mine is a transparent... full of ink...Write quite well....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I gave a few of these away.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I bought another one in the coffee color.

It already has a hairline crack in the end of the barrel. The button seems to be glued in now. I couldn't push it out. But, the crack is not obvious, and maybe the glue will keep it from getting worse. It wrote kind of dry until I opened the tines a bit. Now it writes well.