Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIlot Custom 823 - skipping all the time

Thanks

Default PIlot Custom 823 - skipping all the time

I have a Pilot Custom 823 (M) nib that I bought new about a year ago. I've never been happy with the pen as it skips all the time, especially on up strokes. I haven't tried exotic inks (I just use Parker ink) and haven't really tried to adjust the nib since I don't know what I am doing. I try pressing harder and making downstroks but not only do I get railroad tracks but oftentimes no ink comes out at all.

Having paidover $250 for the pen I would have thought it would perform better than that. Did I get a dud nib or is there some adjustment I might be able to make? Thanks

Thanks

Default Re: PIlot Custom 823 - skipping all the time

The Pilot Custom 823 does have an ink valve which cuts off flow if closed and you need to open the plunger knob by 2 to 3 mm to allow ink to flow into the feed . If you don't then the feed won't get enough ink .
    This may be the reason for what you are seeing

If its not that then try flushing the pen a good few times

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
    The Pilot Custom 823 does have an ink valve which cuts off flow if closed and you need to open the plunger knob by 2 to 3 mm to allow ink to flow into the feed . If you don't then the feed won't get enough ink .
    This may be the reason for what you are seeing

If its not that then try flushing the pen a good few times
    Thanks I was aware of that. Interestingly if I dip the pin into the ink bottle the pen writes quite wet for a while which seems to indicate the ink is flowing to the nib from the plastic holder okay. But then it dries up. I I wonder if there is a block with between the ink reservoir and the pen itself.

I did try flushing the pan out but I will try again with a lot more warm water. I guess like a try more expensive inks also.

Thanks

If you can get some Koh-I-Noor Rapido-eze, it may help. Otherwise, I'd try a dilute water/ammonia solution (10:1) with the slightest hint of dish soap. When they mold the pen and feed there's a release agent used that can affect the wetting action of the ink inhibiting proper flow. Sometimes it's applied in excess and doesn't get completely removed. There are also lubricants used in the nib making process that may remain on the metal that can hinder flow.

If cleaning doesn't help, find a good nibster. They can surely solve the problem.

You could also solicit the assistance of the pen dealer where you purchased the pen.

Thanks

Silly question - how far back are you winding the nob? I found on my first one I had to take it several mm further back than pilot said to get ink to flow - also stick y inks (Robert Oster Fire and Ice being one I had personal experience with ) can cause flow problems.

When you unwind the nob can you see the seal moving back? - I'm part wondering if that's sticky. It does part sound like you're just not getting the ink flow. Also carefully you can try (with the seal/nob open) place the nib on a finger, thumb on the threads and just try gently pushing the nib inwards in case it's not fully in place.

I'd actually suggest though, if you got it through an official shop in your country, go back through them - it may just need tweaking or it may need going back to Pilot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
    Silly question - how far back are you winding the nob? I found on my first one I had to take it several mm further back than pilot said to get ink to flow - also stick y inks (Robert Oster Fire and Ice being one I had personal experience with ) can cause flow problems.

When you unwind the nob can you see the seal moving back? - I'm part wondering if that's sticky. It does part sound like you're just not getting the ink flow. Also carefully you can try (with the seal/nob open) place the nib on a finger, thumb on the threads and just try gently pushing the nib inwards in case it's not fully in place.

I'd actually suggest though, if you got it through an official shop in your country, go back through them - it may just need tweaking or it may need going back to Pilot.
    I am taking the knob back a fair bit so I can see the valve opening. I did try all the cleaning tips and they seemed to help. Also I think perhaps the ink I am using (regular Parker Quink) is not that good and the paper (cheap Staples Composition book). I did try better paper (cloth) and while the paper is rougher and so the pen doesn't leave so much ink, it wasn't skipping.

I am also going to try better ink. But interestingly and I did mention this before, if I dip the pen into ink for a short time, the pen writes qiute wet until I presume all the ink has been used up and it's now drawing ink from the chamber, Then it dries up a bit. So I don't suspect the nib but perhaps a blockage in the ink reservoir.

Thanks

Quink has been one of the more trouble-free formulas in my experience... It may not be perceived as a premium product due to the somewhat pedestrian color selection, but I personally have never had a pen malfunction due to Quink.

Trying an especially wet writing ink isn't a bad idea, but IMO a pen that won't write with Quink probably has a deeper issue.

Whhere did you get the ink? My comments apply only to US made Parker ink.
    David-

So many restoration projects...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to awa54 For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 28th, 2019)

Thanks

The Quink ink I'm using was made in France. But I'm beginning to think it's the paper. I did do a complete pen clean and it helped. But the paper I'm using is in a cheap Meade college composition book that I thought would be fine for a daily journal. I certainly have no skipping problems with a Parker 75 I used to use.

I've tried some better paper with larger gsm and while the flow isn't as wet there is no skipping. Anyway I've bought a bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku ink and a notebook with better paper to try out.

Thanks

I use pilot blue black in both of mine and have no issues...rather wet actually.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Interesting... usually cheap paper has issues like being too absorptive with feathering and/or bleed-through as a result, also papers with a coarse/soft finish or excessive filler agents can cause blotting or plug up the nib with clay, but you'd see that as an obvious buildup of crud or fiber on the tip of the nib.

Try something that's known to be good as a FP paper, Clairefontaine/Rhodia is always decent and fairly easy to find in most places, but brand name 25% cotton bond (or even better, but harder to find and more costly 100%) is usually a good bit better behaved than basic copy/laser paper or cheap notebooks.

My recently purchased Quink doesn't have a country of origin printed on the bottle, but was bought from a very legit brick&mortar stationer in the USA, it behaves exactly like other bottles that I've had for many years.

If paper choice doesn't eliminate your dry writing issues, a nib adjustment is likely needed... I recently got a near mint Custom 74 from a Japanese Ebay seller that was a very dry writer, a minor adjustment fixed it and now it's a moderately wet writer, didn't need to dismount the nib or send it away but I've been tweeking nibs for many years, so if you're new to it, professional help would be prudent.
    David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

What if you fully open the valve?

If it is only skipping on upstrokes, maybe the nib gap isn't quite wide enough and so it isn't flowing ink under low/no nib pressure. I have noticed on some pens with this problem that widening the gap very slightly solves the problem.

Does the pen leave a line on the page if you hold it by the tail and draw it across the page with the nib resting on the paper? (that is, with nearly no pressure on the nib) If not, it isn't flowing enough.

Baby's bottom may also be at play.

Iroshizuku Take-sumi may also help as it tends to flow better (than even Quink Black in my experience)

Thanks

Hi Ichiu7,

If it were my pen I would sent it to Pilot for repair. Even if it wasn't covered under warranty I would send it to Pilot. I would always send a new pen that is under warranty, and of considerable cost, to the manufacturer if it is not perfect, rather than dealing with problems or trying to fix it myself. Let the experts do the work. People spend a lot of time going round and round with a problem pen that costs a lot when they could send it to the manufacturer service center to get it fixed. That is part of what you're paying for, especially in a Pilot pen.

Rick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    What if you fully open the valve?

If it is only skipping on upstrokes, maybe the nib gap isn't quite wide enough and so it isn't flowing ink under low/no nib pressure. I have noticed on some pens with this problem that widening the gap very slightly solves the problem.

Does the pen leave a line on the page if you hold it by the tail and draw it across the page with the nib resting on the paper? (that is, with nearly no pressure on the nib) If not, it isn't flowing enough.

Baby's bottom may also be at play.

Iroshizuku Take-sumi may also help as it tends to flow better (than even Quink Black in my experience)
    The pen does leave a trail on the paper if I hold it by the tail and drag it along the paper but not consitently and it depends on the paper of course. I can't really send it back to Pilot since I parallel imported this from Ebay. I think I will wait for the new paper and new ink.

I don't know what baby's bottom is :-( And I don't have the skills to adjust the nib and there are no nib masters in my neck of the woods.

Thanks

Ichiu7 - what country are you in (or if a large country such as the USA, what state) ? Someone might be able to recommend a local nibmeister to you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
    Ichiu7 - what country are you in (or if a large country such as the USA, what state) ? Someone might be able to recommend a local nibmeister to you.
    A small country viz. NZ. Not sure the Pilot is even sold here.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, Ichiu, where in NZ are you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Welly

Thanks

Your nearest nibsmith is the west coast of USA. Sadly.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Welly
    Ah, I am in Dunners.

As far as I know there is a pen group in Wellington, or at least a number of pen enthusiasts that post on the Fountain Pens New Zealand facebook page. Might be worth reaching out to someone there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Your nearest nibsmith is the west coast of USA. Sadly.
    I do have a friend who lives in SF and they are coming back for Xmas so could take the pen back to me, have it repaired and then shipped back to me.