Thread: Actually forgot that I had another pen...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Actually forgot that I had another pen...

Forgot that I had another pen for over two years now, probably because it was a very cheap ebay find and was just a steel nib and I didn't give much thought about even trying it that it just sat in a coffee cup next to my copic markers waiting for the day that I would actually disassemble it and clean it up.

I think it's a late 60s Imperial cartridge due to the v-cutout.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,821 Times in 1,159 Posts

Default Re: Actually forgot that I had another pen...

A 440 maybe?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    A 440 maybe?
    Seems like it, a 60s model anyways (went diamond shape after it seems like)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,483 Times in 4,010 Posts

That's quite a nice pen to "find" sitting in a pen cup.

I like the way you can seem to dismantle any pen and put it back together again.... Most of the time I wouldn't know where to start.

Perhaps you could talk us through how you do it?

I looked at your Parker Ellipse when it was dismantled, but I couldn't work out where to start on that one either.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Seems to work well, has a slight sharp architect thing going on with the nib (thicker cross strokes that's a little toothy, with very thin downstroke that's smooth).

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    That's quite a nice pen to "find" sitting in a pen cup.

I like the way you can seem to dismantle any pen and put it back together again.... Most of the time I wouldn't know where to start.

Perhaps you could talk us through how you do it?

I looked at your Parker Ellipse when it was dismantled, but I couldn't work out where to start on that one either.
    This one is actually rather simple and easy. You simply grab the metal threaded part and unscrew it from the section, let the two rings come off (the 3 knob ring being first up onto the section, then washer, then the threaded short end as shown in the picture).

Then you can push the feed assembly out the back of the grip from the front since their feed isn't shielded. The feeder tube works it way slowly out of the feed (be careful that part looks like it can break easy), though it seems like you could just clean that whole feed unit as one piece.

Then just pop it back in reverse order. If the pen is really old you might actually have to soak the section a bit or run it thru the ultrasonic just to allow the dried ink to uncement from it.

The Ellipse had a half-circle (horseshoe looking) piece of metal that actually keeps you from being able to unscrew the threaded part off the back of the section (The threads being inside the metal piece and not on the outside).
    Kind of want to get the Ellipse back, but almost all of them were notoriously dry with no way to get the feed wetter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (October 24th, 2018)

Thanks

This might help visually.

With #1, make sure the tube slit is facing up towards feed slit. For #4, the opened end of those notches face away from the nib (They'll be covered by the washer behind it).

Last edited by KBeezie; October 24th, 2018 at 06:15 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (October 24th, 2018), catbert (October 24th, 2018), Chrissy (October 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,483 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Kind of want to get the Ellipse back, but almost all of them were notoriously dry with no way to get the feed wetter.
    Mine is fabulous apart from a slight scuff in the cap enamel. I love writing with it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Did some adjustments, got it going smoother, medium flow.

Thanks

Nice. I've had a 440 for donkey's years (got me through the latter part of school and early university before I moved to mechanical pencils for notes). I'll be using it again soon. Mine has a medium nib which is the usual nail but is smooth and free-flowing. The metal cap is tarnished / worn but otherwise it works well.

Thanks for showing the tear-down, in case I need it in the future. It looks rather simple.

I'll take my gold-nibbed Targa over it, but the 440 has history with me, so I won't get rid of it.

Thanks

Some pics of it on top of the writing sample (write sample almost always looks more fun under the strobes but not as easy to compare to other nibs)

Quote Originally Posted by milkb0at View Post
    Nice. I've had a 440 for donkey's years (got me through the latter part of school and early university before I moved to mechanical pencils for notes). I'll be using it again soon. Mine has a medium nib which is the usual nail but is smooth and free-flowing. The metal cap is tarnished / worn but otherwise it works well.

Thanks for showing the tear-down, in case I need it in the future. It looks rather simple.

I'll take my gold-nibbed Targa over it, but the 440 has history with me, so I won't get rid of it.
    That's how I am, I don't really bother much with steel nibbed pens unless they're modern/new, and prefer gold nibs in the long run. I'll likely be selling this one, but might as well have some fun with it first.