Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage venting and other peeves

Thanks

Default Re: Vintage venting and other peeves

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Sometimes when tines persistently return to a position out of alignment the problem lies with the feed. It may be that it is a little rotated or even has a small imperfection.
    This is so true!
    exactly.....
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

I had to learn the hard way years ago in regards to the thread- Vintage Pens is to always use safe ink. I have melted more sac's out of ignorance and was warned beforehand. I love my many vintage pens more so than modern, but that is just me.

Depending on where my vintage pen came from have never had mis-aligned tines as the sellers were pen-aholics themselves. Of course doinking a few have had to go back to realign or send out. Sorry to hear some folks have or are having issues with their older pens. Don't give up on them as they are worth it.
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Deb (August 29th, 2019), SchaumburgSwan (September 19th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    I had to learn the hard way years ago in regards to the thread- Vintage Pens is to always use safe ink. I have melted more sac's out of ignorance and was warned beforehand.
    That's definitely annoying. So far, sac degradation hasn't been an issue in any of my so-equipped pens but I've only been at this ~18 months.

I have been rather indiscriminate in choosing inks for these pens, though I am choosy in picking sacs and only a few of the pens have sacs someone else put in.

If / when it happens I will replace the sac and re-evaluate using my detailed inking / cleaning log.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Bent clips! (even when it's only slight)
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

The obsession with stripping pens down completely to clean them, as if complete disassembly every couple of weeks is not just a good idea but almost mandatory maintenance practice.

I'll only flush my pens if I am changing colours or setting them aside for a protracted period. And then I just run them under tap water. I'm a monster, I know...
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

AzJon (August 30th, 2019), Jon Szanto (September 19th, 2019), Voiren (September 4th, 2019), wingwiper (August 30th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    The obsession with stripping pens down completely to clean them, as if complete disassembly every couple of weeks is not just a good idea but almost mandatory maintenance practice.

I'll only flush my pens if I am changing colours or setting them aside for a protracted period. And then I just run them under tap water. I'm a monster, I know...
    Hear! Hear! I couldn't sgree more!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

AzJon (August 30th, 2019), Jon Szanto (September 19th, 2019), wingwiper (August 30th, 2019)

Thanks

When a previous owner or repairman has attempted to "straighten" a Triumph or similarly up-turned nib because the person assumes the up-turn is a defect or damage.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Good luck doing that to a Sheaffer Snorkel or Vac-filler.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

If you do polish your pens it is generally a good idea to put a strip of sticky tape over the imprint to stop it being worn away.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 16th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

My pet peeve has nothing to do with anything anybody else might have done. Nope. I'm the culprit. What I hate is forgetting what I inked a particular pen with. In particular, I have several turquoise-like inks that are hard to tell apart, and each is in a different pen, but I forget which is which...
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 19th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    My pet peeve has nothing to do with anything anybody else might have done. Nope. I'm the culprit. What I hate is forgetting what I inked a particular pen with. In particular, I have several turquoise-like inks that are hard to tell apart, and each is in a different pen, but I forget which is which...
    Not an original solution, but I have a little notebook for which I have no other use. When I ink a pen, I write the name of the pen and the ink with the date in the notebook. I cross it out when I'm going to clean out the pen and either leave it empty or use a different ink. Not that mixing Pilot Blue and Blue Black would be a disaster, but I just like to keep track.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    Not an original solution, but I have a little notebook for which I have no other use. When I ink a pen, I write the name of the pen and the ink with the date in the notebook. I cross it out when I'm going to clean out the pen and either leave it empty or use a different ink. Not that mixing Pilot Blue and Blue Black would be a disaster, but I just like to keep track.
    I've been thinking for a while I need to do that. Problem is, I would have to start the notebook with a lot of ???s after pen names...
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

If I ever have the same issue, I'd just take a smartphone photo of the pen and the ink either before or after filling.
    Even if I forgot it afterwards, I can always scroll back though my photos and find out exactly which pen has what ink.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Yeah, but I bet Silverlifter is pretty much in the same camp as me: those pens aren't "ink experiment" pens, they get inked, repeatedly, with known inks. If a flushing is indicated for some reason, it isn't going to have to be one that gets you to "the water is running clear" but simply getting the pen clean so that it functions well. If you are going to re-ink it with the same color it lessens the amount of work necessary, unlike going from a dark blue ink to a bright yellow or something. I think it comes down to knowledgable hygiene vs. obsessive, maximal flushing. The latter is a lot easer to do on other filling systems.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Bent clips! (even when it's only slight)
    Broken off clips! With a tiny bit left...
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Yeah, but I bet Silverlifter is pretty much in the same camp as me: those pens aren't "ink experiment" pens, they get inked, repeatedly, with known inks.
    My only snorkel, a PFM II, has Aurora Black in it. Refilling = cleaning as far as I am concerned
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I have a small niggle about vintage pens - it's when the description says there is a personalisation but the seller refuses to post an image of it.

Thanks

My pet peeve is when people use silly words to describe like: gorgeous, lovely, handsome splendid, beautiful stupendous, pretty in front of pens when listing it. If a pens in nice condition it speak for itself and not airs and graces given to them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    My other peeve is under-polished pens.
    I like the feel of a smooth pen. If it feels slightly rough or not finely polished I find I do not reach for it as often.