Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New pen suggestions.

Thanks

Default Re: New pen suggestions.

The gold was 14k and was only made for during the first year of production. You have just dated your pen!
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    One of my best pens is a Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial from RonZ. He really adjusted the flow of ink perfectly on the extra fine nib.
    I have a Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial from RonZ too and it indeed also came absolutely perfect. Sadly it is hosed. I have to be 100% honest and say that it was indeed my own fault. Having used Pilot Blue Black my whole life without issue in all manner of vintage and modern pens, I, when the prices dropped, scored a bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao. I used it in that pen a bunch. Loved the pen. Loved the ink... and then it ate through the sack. NEVER AGAIN. Went back to all Waterman for my pneumatic pens. The one time I got adventurous. grr...
    That must have been a while ago. I've been using PVC sacs in snorkels since late 2012. Catch it while you can if you want the pen revived... I will continue to use the PVC sacs in snorkels until I run out of them. I have maybe 100 or 150 left.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 14th, 2020), stub (January 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
    Right-o. Watching some videos on the Tube I note something different. The "snorkel" of some pens differ from others. Some have straight cut ends and some have bevel cut ends (not sure if that's the correct terms). Also, some are silver coloured and some (like me own) are gold coloured. At the mo' I cannot find a source that explains these differences. Are they indicative of models or years?
    All of the Triumph nib pens i.e. conical nib have the angled cut on the snorkel tube. The open nib pens (which never have a white dot BTW) have the straight cut on the end of the snorkel tube. Pen World has a "Pen Clips" item with the models, cap, colors and nib types listed. I still have to refer to it because I can't keep the names straight. Sheaffer didn't help anything by carrying some names over from earlier pens, or continuing to use the name for a later pen and design.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

amk (January 15th, 2020), Chrissy (January 14th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (January 15th, 2020), silverlifter (January 14th, 2020), stub (January 15th, 2020)

Thanks

So, if I get this correct, me pen is from 1952?

Oh, also, apart from the different end cuts belonging to various models, is there any actual reason for the difference?

Thanks

So, if I get this correct, me pen is from 1952?
    Assuming that it is the original tube, then yes, 1952.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    That must have been a while ago. I've been using PVC sacs in snorkels since late 2012. Catch it while you can if you want the pen revived... I will continue to use the PVC sacs in snorkels until I run out of them. I have maybe 100 or 150 left.
    I purchased it in February 10, 2015. Used it a year or so in heavy rotation. Then one day it just wouldn't fill. I contacted you about a repair but never sent it in b/c I assumed that due to my use of risky ink it was my fault and wouldn't qualify for warrantee service. Now I wonder what really happened. I never opened the pen but I used that Iroshizuku ink in a couple Sheaffer TD / Snorkel pens at that time and sent some to Stacy Hills and he showed me pictures of goo'ed up sacs. I assumed that was the same with the TD Imperial you sold me. I had no idea it had a PVC sac in it. DARN IT!
    Last edited by stub; January 15th, 2020 at 03:09 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Right-o. Watching some videos on the Tube I note something different. The "snorkel" of some pens differ from others. Some have straight cut ends and some have bevel cut ends (not sure if that's the correct terms). Also, some are silver coloured and some (like me own) are gold coloured. At the mo' I cannot find a source that explains these differences. Are they indicative of models or years?
    All of the Triumph nib pens i.e. conical nib have the angled cut on the snorkel tube. The open nib pens (which never have a white dot BTW) have the straight cut on the end of the snorkel tube. Pen World has a "Pen Clips" item with the models, cap, colors and nib types listed. I still have to refer to it because I can't keep the names straight. Sheaffer didn't help anything by carrying some names over from earlier pens, or continuing to use the name for a later pen and design.
    I have a couple of those open-nib Snorks, one user-grade (that came to me in pieces). They are both wonderful writers, even though the tubes squick me out a little.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

The humble Admiral is a heck of a great piece of kit. Can be found easily and sometimes for cheap. I love them. Every one I've had was money. I enjoy those #5 nibs.

Thanks

Oh, also, apart from the different end cuts belonging to various models, is there any actual reason for the difference?
    There is a reason. The snorkel tube and the hard rubber inside are part of the feed system. Ink travels down the insert which is split at the end, and then is transferred to the slit in the top of the snorkel tube. That slit has to line up with a slit in the feed, so that the ink transfers to the slit in the nib, and down to the paper. The top of the tube should end right at where the hole in the feed stops. The underside of the Triumph feed is cut at an angle. If you used a snorkel tube with a squared off end (straight cut) it would stick out past the end of the feed on the underside. Cut at an angle, its flush (or should be flush) with the underside of the feed.

The snorkel tube, next to the spring, is the most frequently damaged part on snorkel pens. There are after market springs available, which may not work perfectly, but they are available if needed. No replacement snorkel tubes are available except from donor pens.

Thanks

Since acquiring this Sheaffer "snorkel" pen I've been looking at other old Sheaffers. Why do the flat top versions in the green material get discoloured? It looks like it's only on the barrel.

Thanks

Since acquiring this Sheaffer "snorkel" pen I've been looking at other old Sheaffers. Why do the flat top versions in the green material get discoloured? It looks like it's only on the barrel.
    It's the outgassing of chemicals from the latex sacs. But you knew that already right?

Thanks

No, I don't know what this means. Is it the ink that causes the latex to degrade (?) and that's what outgassing is? Or does the latex have some kind of half life? [actually didn't know that the sacs were made of latex, cos I know nothing about plastics]

Any road up, why would this outgassing [which I'm now looking up on the Web] make the pen barrel change colour? And, and, why only on the green ones and not the red/crimson or black versions? [harder to notice on black I reckon, but still]

Edit - just had me a shuffle thru the WWW. On wiki it explains [sort of] what outgassing is, but as a non-chemist I can't really claim any understanding of it. Then found a page on another pen site that says summat about sulphur getting released from latex [doesn't say why, but I reckon that's maybe less important than it happening].

Furthermore, that page talks about celluloid. So, to continue me education, are the green sheaffers made of celluloid and the red and black ones made of something else? Same material, different colour dyes was what I originally thunk.

'nother edit - hmm, praps I should stick to just this one vintage pen. Seems like others have probs, an there's not enough data in me noggin to make an informed decision. The one I planned on and paid for is this one:

It's coming in from the Far East.
    Last edited by DumDum; January 16th, 2020 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

It's to do with the rubber thing inside that fills with ink.
    This fountain pen board thread talks about these pens and mentions their discolouration.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 17th, 2020 at 12:07 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Ta muchly, Chrissy - read that thread [and bookmarked site for more furtherer perusal]

Staying away from these problematic pens is prolly best practice for now, methinks.

Edit - actually, looks like Chinese pens are getting interesting. Moonman T1, M8 and so forth, and Delike New Moon II, are enticing. Less spendy than the big boys or old stuff, and let's face it, I'm cheap!
    Last edited by DumDum; January 16th, 2020 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks

Staying away from these problematic pens is prolly best practice for now, methinks.
    They are only problematic if you care that the pen stay fresh and new looking (there is a thrill in that too). If you accept the natural aging of the pen as it is used, then you might consider these pens full of charm and relatively trouble free as usually they can be repaired repeatedly and short of being thrown out of a moving car or stepped on will out live all of us. I have a 7-30 flat top that is brownish. It writes like a champ, is ergonomic, holds a ton of ink, has a decent cap seal and has a big ass honking nib and generous ebonite feed.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 16th, 2020), Deb (January 18th, 2020), ethernautrix (February 6th, 2020)

Thanks

THROW THAT BOWL OUT IT IS BROKEN.

Thanks

Prolly would buy a new bowl rather than gluing a broken one. It's not like bowls are hard to find or anything.

About the outgas thing - doesn't the celluloid get brittle and prone to breakage?

Thanks

doesn't the celluloid get brittle and prone to breakage?
    That's ebonite. Cellulod can shrink and deform. It also burns easily. Ebonite cracks and can not be plastic welded.

Correct me if I am wrong. Not a pen repairererer. Just a user.

Thanks

Ta muchly. It's a lot to learn in what little life is left.

Thanks

Ta muchly. It's a lot to learn in what little life is left.
    We're all born to a losing struggle. With lots of pain and suffering along the way.