Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have pen peace?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Default Re: Do you have pen peace?

I really had a wild ride at first, buying everything I could afford and think of...often inexpensive multiples of Chinese pens from the good old days of isellpens-dot-com.

Gradually I learned what I liked and what I tolerated and what I couldn't stand (NO heavy pens, no skinny pens, no metal sections).

While still preferring c/c pens, I discovered the excitement of taking a beater vintage pen and getting it to write. I shunned piston pens at first, but grew to enjoy them and have a small collection now.

I've sold or given away pens numbering in the three figures. And it's all been FUN. 🎉🥳👍🏻
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

amk (December 19th, 2020), CrayonAngelss (December 14th, 2020), Detman101 (December 4th, 2020), VertOlive (October 28th, 2021)

Thanks

I am both content with every pen I have, and expect to buy more pens over time. I don't even have much specific in mind. I want one of the Esterbrook Esties in the peacock colorway, and a Parker 51 Deluxe in Plum (if they ever do resolve the manufacturing issues and get them to market--last time I inquired they said Feb 2021). There are a few other pens I find more or less appealing depending on my mood that day, and I never know what the vintage market will have at any given time.

I'm not terribly plagued by temptation. Either I can afford what I find appealing, or I can't. Or more accurately, either I'm willing to pay the going price for it, or I'm not willing. I can think a given pen is the most beautiful object on this planet, but if it's not in the price range I find comfortable, I'm content just to admire a photograph.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

jace (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Short answer: Kindv.

Temptation management includes appreciating what I have, fiscal responsibility, pragmatism, competing temptations, and awareness of the nature of desire (coming and going and insatiable), plus recognizing my own habits. I have not bought many beautiful pens, because I know! If I buy it, I'll use it for a few days, then I'll clean it and put it away, cos I "love" these other handful of pens more -- and reach for them first. So what's the point of having all the others? Some might find comfort or joy in a thousand choices, but... I can't handle it! That's just the truth. Whether or not it's a shortcoming depends on your perspective. For me, for now, less is more.

I'm not aching to buy pens. I want to sell some. Face-to-face. So, either I wait until pen shows are possible, or I relent and resort to the Internet and Poczta Polska.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

dneal (October 28th, 2021), mana (December 4th, 2020), rkesey (July 18th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I'm more or less at pen peace, but I did buy two fountain pens this year. And some inks, and threw in one more journal while I was at it.

Well, that's fountain pens. I did buy some Copic multiliners and Sakura Pigma Microns for drawing.

But for fountain pens, I'm at the point where it's more of a concern to give all of my good pens a fair turn in the rotation than to add more good pens, let alone ones that might turn out not to be as good as I'd hoped.

As for the VP or Decimo, I have both, and prefer the slimmer Decimo. It's a good pen that I've used recently, but I'm not tempted to buy another just because it has a different color or pattern on it, most definitely not if it's some special edition that costs more. Haven't even looked up this striped one that the OP mentions, so am not sure if that's the case here.

EDIT: Okay, I just clicked on the link in that original post.

Yes, it's a very attractive version of the VP. It reminds me of my Pilot striped MYU, which is one of those good pens that doesn't see enough time in the rotation.

No, I would not buy such a thing. When you can get a functionally identical ordinary VP or Decimo for less than half that, paying a premium just for appearance doesn't compute for me. But not everyone thinks the way that I do.
    Last edited by Kaputnik; December 4th, 2020 at 12:53 PM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

I don’t accept the premise of the original post. I just absolutely enjoy buying new pens. Pen peace just seems kinda odd.
    Allan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Pen peace? Sort of. I don't constantly puruse ebay, amazon, Goulet or other sites where I might buy a pen. I do look at things occasionally though.

I have about 40 pens (+/-) and have had for some time. I rarely sell or otherwise dispose of pens. I recently aquired a Lamy 2000. It isn't a pen I "had to have", but it came available at a price that was hard to pass up. Plus my wife wanted to get me something nice for Christmas. Nothing was really jumping out at me. When I saw the price, I decided to pull the trigger. I don't expect to get another for some time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Sort of here too. Of late I've been a bit wary of taking more expensive pens to work, even though I have an office, and as a consequence have been looking into cheaper pens again. Specifically I may consider the Parker 45 - tons of those around, though I gave away the best one I've ever seen - or even a Lamy Al Star if the colour attracts. Sometimes I feel that the cost of the pens distracts me from the just writing with them, and it's not like I have really expensive pens (tops out with the Pilot 823).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Sort of here too. Of late I've been a bit wary of taking more expensive pens to work, even though I have an office, and as a consequence have been looking into cheaper pens again. Specifically I may consider the Parker 45 - tons of those around, though I gave away the best one I've ever seen - or even a Lamy Al Star if the colour attracts. Sometimes I feel that the cost of the pens distracts me from the just writing with them, and it's not like I have really expensive pens (tops out with the Pilot 823).
    I am enjoying using a Wing Sung "flighter" 601 for work...$22.

Thanks

Pen peace? Probably not.

Pennui, perhaps. Its been a while since I've seen a pen that I felt I truly needed or found intriguing enough to want.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 14th, 2020), TFarnon (December 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Yes, I have pen peace.

But I suspect my definition is very different than the OP's.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Yes, I have pen peace.

Will, that's pen peace, not pen pieces!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (December 15th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (December 14th, 2020), TFarnon (December 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Yes, I have pen peace.

Will, that's pen peace, not pen pieces!
    Riiight!

Where's my reading glasses when I needed one.
    - Will

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (December 15th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (December 14th, 2020)

Thanks

Probably not for a while I just got my first pen a few months ago (sheaffer vintage) then I got a Pelikan M205. I am waiting on two more M205's (I'm a bit obsessed!) I just got a Jinhao in the mail. It's a beautiful pen, but the nib does not deliver. However, I purposely ordered it (it was cheap) to experiment with! So that's my current project..anyways, I'm in the stage where all I'm thinking about is pens.

Thanks

I have pen peace. Lots of pens pass over my workbench and very, very occasionally I'll keep an exceptional writer. Handling old pens, appreciating them and fixing them up brings deep peace and contentment.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

amk (December 20th, 2020), carlos.q (December 16th, 2020), CrayonAngelss (December 16th, 2020), penwash (December 16th, 2020), Schaumburg_Swan (December 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    I have pen peace. Lots of pens pass over my workbench and very, very occasionally I'll keep an exceptional writer. Handling old pens, appreciating them and fixing them up brings deep peace and contentment.
    Yes and Amen!

What amazes me is the fact that the level of appreciation deepens instead of becoming less as time goes by.
    - Will

24. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

eachan (December 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    Yes and Amen!

What amazes me is the fact that the level of appreciation deepens instead of becoming less as time goes by.
    My appreciation for those older pens also deepens, while my general apathy towards new makes and models trends ever downward. The materials and innovations of the past stand in stark contrast to the relatively soulless creations out there today, imo.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

eachan (December 16th, 2020), Ole Juul (December 16th, 2020), penwash (December 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Pen peace? Probably not.

Pennui, perhaps.
    Pennui - what a wonderful word.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (October 28th, 2021)

Thanks

I don't know if I'd call it pen peace, but my pens make me happy to look at them and handle them and even write with them. I realized what makes my pens even better are the leather black velvet lined cases, because then I can indulge my inner dragon by opening up a case and pretending the pens in it are my hoard. As a kid, I had a red velvet evening bag with a black satin lining. I kept all my peerie marbles in it, and pretended they were jewels. And I pretended I was the dragon. I suspect I would be happy with my pens in cases even if I never wrote with them. I would just hover over them and gloat.

Thanks

Do you have pen peace in the sense you are happy with your fountain pen collection and not tempted to buy anymore?

Sort of... I'm going through a thinning down phase, there are temptations but not nearly as many as there were before. And this year I've not been able to go on pen safari because of covid restrictions - my one and only sortie in between two lockdowns though I struck very lucky indeed and got a lovely Aurora Talentum!

How do you manage to curb temptations?

I find that looking at what I've already got tends to curb the temptation to splurge. With a few exceptions.

I also now keep a spreadsheet that shows me what are the pens I really want. And I also use it to mark those pens that make me really happy. But I still find it difficult to resist the temptation of completism - that 'must have' Pelikan m200 colour to make up the set...

If you do not have pen peace, what are you aching to buy?

It's mainly Pelikan m600s that do it for me. The new red tortie is a big temptation but so are quite a few others... and one or two pens I missed, like the Fred Faggionato 'carnival' Petrarque pens. I have one in cherry but I really want the crazy colour pen.

And from time to time I buy a new custom or Indian pen to support small pen makers.

The other thing that I love doing is getting broken pens and learning to fix them. I don't think that will ever stop!

Thanks

Revelation:
    My "Peace" is not from any particular thing...nor can it be obtained by.
    Until I stop being a miserable bum who is tossed and turned by every little thing...there will be no peace for me.

Pens are just one of many focus points...I am the problem.

That being said...I am finding peace, realizing that there is no perfect singular item. The journey is the goal...and if I'm not enjoying that, I'm doing this wrong.
    Patience for orders....patience with myself...patience with others...patience with my pens...all required to enjoy this hobby.
    Also acceptance of the fact that I cannot do this alone...I need other people...for advice, knowledge and wisdom.
    Last edited by Detman101; December 19th, 2020 at 12:56 PM.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

amk (December 20th, 2020), catbert (December 19th, 2020), TFarnon (August 4th, 2021)