Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Do you have pen peace?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Default Re: Do you have pen peace?

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Ok... I'm a bit slow. I JUST figured out what Lisa's "Land of PO" signifies. I'm asleep at the wheel of life....
    Ha! I just got it now, too! Land of PO (nib) land! My intent was to play around with "Poland."
    I guess you can relocate to the Po Valley (or come back to the US and eat a Po' Boy) while keeping your location as TLoP.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

I really do think that I'm approaching pen peace. Every now I then I really want a Pelikan M200 Pastel Green - I've had to cancel orders of it twice now because I really can't afford it. And I am waiting on a new pocket pen b/c (unpopular opinion) I REALLY dislike the Kaweco Sport.

But in general, I love the pens that I use. I have a pen/nib for almost every task. I don't want more pens because they'll just sit unused. That's why I'm trying to sell some of my pens. I still love reading new pen reviews; I live so vicarously through people's reviews and blogs. But there just aren't many pens in my collection that I'd be willing to part with to get a replacement....

(Of course, as soon as I started typing this, the hankering for the Pastel Green started all over again...)

Thanks

I definitely don't have pen peace in the sense that I don't want to buy more pens. I do have pen peace in the sense that, with one and a half-ish exceptions, I like the pens I have and I enjoy using them. There are several pens I want to buy, but an Opus 88 or two, a Narwhal Nautilus, and a few more TWSBI Ecos for specific purposes are at the top of my list right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I have Pen Inertia punctuated by occasional pen crises. At the moment, I’m having to replace a favorite pen AND it’s nib following a pen tragedy. “Inertia” in that I’m not buying or selling pens; I can probably never afford The Last Grail Pen, the Danitrio Clear Stream, and I don’t yet know what next year’s Safari color will be.

I’m at peace with all of the above.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (October 28th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (October 29th, 2021)

Thanks

I sort of at pen peace. I alternate between looking at disassembled pens I like keeping that way and wanting to get rid of most of my pens. There are only a few I use, a Parker 51 and a couple of Montblanc 144s. I don't have the acquisition fire any more. There are none I want. I should try to sell the rest, even the Esterbrooks, Sheaffers and most of the Parker 51s. It's just no there any more: the feeling of need to try this, that and the other pen.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (November 2nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I have both pen peace, and pens in pieces.

Take your pick.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (December 26th, 2021), Yazeh (October 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PenInvestigations View Post
    I really do think that I'm approaching pen peace. Every now I then I really want a Pelikan M200 Pastel Green - I've had to cancel orders of it twice now because I really can't afford it. And I am waiting on a new pocket pen b/c (unpopular opinion) I REALLY dislike the Kaweco Sport.

But in general, I love the pens that I use. I have a pen/nib for almost every task. I don't want more pens because they'll just sit unused. That's why I'm trying to sell some of my pens. I still love reading new pen reviews; I live so vicarously through people's reviews and blogs. But there just aren't many pens in my collection that I'd be willing to part with to get a replacement....

(Of course, as soon as I started typing this, the hankering for the Pastel Green started all over again...)
    An odd thing I've realized about myself is that once I decide that I'm happy with my pens, I go on a shopping spree. Whereas when I feel discontented with my collection, I feel discouraged from spending more money and getting pens that aren't as good. It's weird.
    Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PenInvestigations For This Useful Post:

amk (December 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Evidently I have no pen peace. I don't even have ink peace. I was shuffling my notebooks and came upon one from 2011/12. In it, I was trying to discern which cute, cheap, and cheerful pens to keep and which to give away. Mixing the few inks I had just to see what would happen.

And I was having FUN. It was evident in the writing and the little sketches and even the sulks ('World's most hideous ink...will cause your crops to fail and your dog to desert you.').

Now? Not so much. Maybe it's a case of Solomon's Syndrome.
    Or maybe it has at least a little to do with the past, I don't know, 8-10 years?
    We've had Superstorm Sandy, four years of a president which either you loved and are upset didn't win again or hated and are afraid might still manage to run again, a Pandemic, Riots, the storming of the Capital, still more Pandemic, (with all that implies - for some, work pain and financial problems, for others, the disease itself in themselves or loved ones, or, well, take your pick of a bunch of related things), some very unusually snowy winters - stop me when you can't take any more recall!

The world, locally, nationally, and globally, has not been having the best few years. There is always some possibility this has affected your joy in pens or anything else.

Also, I have noticed a sort of difference in the cheap pens available. Test question - Shark or Swan????

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scrivelry View Post
    Evidently I have no pen peace. I don't even have ink peace. I was shuffling my notebooks and came upon one from 2011/12. In it, I was trying to discern which cute, cheap, and cheerful pens to keep and which to give away. Mixing the few inks I had just to see what would happen.

And I was having FUN. It was evident in the writing and the little sketches and even the sulks ('World's most hideous ink...will cause your crops to fail and your dog to desert you.').

Now? Not so much. Maybe it's a case of Solomon's Syndrome.
    Or maybe it has at least a little to do with the past, I don't know, 8-10 years?
    We've had Superstorm Sandy, four years of a president which either you loved and are upset didn't win again or hated and are afraid might still manage to run again, a Pandemic, Riots, the storming of the Capital, still more Pandemic, (with all that implies - for some, work pain and financial problems, for others, the disease itself in themselves or loved ones, or, well, take your pick of a bunch of related things), some very unusually snowy winters - stop me when you can't take any more recall!

The world, locally, nationally, and globally, has not been having the best few years. There is always some possibility this has affected your joy in pens or anything else.

Also, I have noticed a sort of difference in the cheap pens available. Test question - Shark or Swan????
    Shark.

Does it help to know that I have suddenly fallen in love with an ink I formerly hated and was about to sell, but found the perfect pens for?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

I'm pretty much happy with what I have, but occasionally I can be tempted to buy something new.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

I am happy with my pens. I am often coming across gems I had forgotten about. Today a cartridge Sheaffer Imperial with a Dolphin nib and a push button converter in almost new condition. The other day I came across a red Montblanc 144 with a medium nib I had forgotten since the nineties. Maybe I'll find the P51 plum set one of these days.

Thanks

Does it help to know that I have suddenly fallen in love with an ink I formerly hated and was about to sell, but found the perfect pens for?
    For me, that kind of thing utterly negates even the possibility of pen peace. You can't be certain about what you think about anything, because that just-so combo of pen, ink, and paper can change your opinion about any of them. Or all three. That is the eternal quest, and none shall rest from it.

Well, I won't anyway. Make me. (And for the record the combination of vintage Kaweco Dia and Rohrer and Klingner Sepia is A DISASTER. Don't even consider finding peace in that duet. Urgh.)
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Does pen peace mean that everything must remain static, that you couldn't change your mind about something?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Does pen peace mean that everything must remain static, that you couldn't change your mind about something?
    It doesn't to me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Robalone (December 25th, 2021)

Thanks

My feelings change as time goes by, in a circular pattern.

I look at my pens with satisfaction and think: well, I have a very nice selection, nibs of nearly all types and sizes, cheap pens, some medium-priced and some expensive. A good range of colours to combine with my inks. Surely I have pens for all my life and beyond, for any possible situation, time and mood, I don't need any more.

Then, mainly after checking pens in forums, I think I am losing something if I don't try that pen or that other one, or that ink....and buy 2-3. Or I go to ebay and find that very-good-priced-pen-that-nobody-saw that will fill a small gap in my collection. Then I get the new pens and clean, use, adjust, disassemble them. After a time, I look at my collection with a bit of guilt, think of selling some, and nearly always don't do it because there is a reason for each pen being in that collection (my brain cheats me, I know). Later I promise myself not to check the forums so often, not logging into ebay...but some weeks/months pass and the process begins again.

Am I OK, doctor?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manolo For This Useful Post:

PenInvestigations (November 5th, 2021), Robalone (December 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Thank you for asking this question.

This is the main issue I have with the general meaning (as also reflected in this thread) of "peace" when it's associated with this hobby.

To me, pen peace has nothing to do with having a static collection, that would be "boring" not "peaceful".

I constantly buy, restore, sell pens and this hobby has brought me a lot of "peace" to cope with the daily stress in my life. As a bonus, I get to see and experience a lot of neat stuff (in the form of pens and interaction with pen people).

If I ever arrive at a point that I am no longer doing anything in this hobby, then that would be called "done", or "finished", not "peace".
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

As of this moment, I have pen peace. It's probably temporary. But last night I found and purchased a Grieshaber pen set, and about 30 minutes ago I found and purchased a Conklin crescent filler BCHR with a gold cap band. Those were the last two specific items on my wishlist. Of course, both pens have yet to arrive, but that only means I can have fun stalking the mailperson. And there are still a few pens on my new pen wishlist, but that's sort of a given. I feel like my collection of pens is complete. Of course, I also want a few more vintage pens, but I don't feel a burning need to go find them. They are more accurately on a "for consideration, should I come across them" kind of mental list. I suspect I'll always be interested in looking at pens, including my own, regardless of the state of my pen collection.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

Robalone (December 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TFarnon View Post
    As of this moment, I have pen peace. It's probably temporary. But last night I found and purchased a Grieshaber pen set, and about 30 minutes ago I found and purchased a Conklin crescent filler BCHR with a gold cap band. Those were the last two specific items on my wishlist. Of course, both pens have yet to arrive, but that only means I can have fun stalking the mailperson. And there are still a few pens on my new pen wishlist, but that's sort of a given. I feel like my collection of pens is complete. Of course, I also want a few more vintage pens, but I don't feel a burning need to go find them. They are more accurately on a "for consideration, should I come across them" kind of mental list. I suspect I'll always be interested in looking at pens, including my own, regardless of the state of my pen collection.
    Boy, Amazing.....with only a couple of pen name edits, I could have written this piece !!

I've always been the type that dives into a project with complete abandon... and my feeling is that if one does something totally, it's easy to come out the other end , as it were , with a sense of ....completion.
    That's not to say it is necessarily finished, but the burning passion can settle down to a ...warm glow ?

I have far too many pens , and I love every one of them ... and now, I still peruse the sales sites but more out of interest, unless a bargain that cannot be ignored pops up !! Like oh wow , they don't know what this bchr beauty is worth 'pounce'

And hey....waiting by the front door for the mailman to come ....it's like Xmas when you were a kid !!

Love the connection here , it's a great place to be.

Thanks

Yes, I don't use them much any more. I did convert a Montblanc 144 back to a rollerball with a porous point refill. Definitely I am no longer after more pens.

Thanks

I never have any peace with pens.
    Every time I see a pen or Dip writing Instruments, I never have any peace until I grab it. I have started up with modern pens and then into vintage pens. then I got into dip writing so it is worse.

In photography it is called the bug syndrome "GAS" .... when it bite you??? Oh.... Man... it is incurable.
    I suffered too there long long time and that is my second natured addiction.