Thread: dip-less on the way

Thanks

Default dip-less on the way

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

just $15!!! what do you guys/gals think abou it?

regards.
    lovemy51

Thanks

I have two dip-less pen sets and use them all the time. They are great for quick note taking and always at the ready.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I think it looks similar to my Estie #444, which has been fun to have. As fate would be, I just took possession from my mail-person today of an Esterbrook #427 Dipless Double Inkwell. It's in great shape, just a little cleaning, polishing and making sure the seals are good, and I'm up an running with two pens always at the ready!

il_570xN.296834924.jpg

jor412

I just got two of these sets, one of which seems to be missing the base that makes it heavy and stable. At the bottom of the exterior of the ink container, it says something like push to remove. Does anyone know which model this one might have been?

My other set has the clear glass base. I haven't used it yet because I spent time cleaning it of dried ink and letting it air dry. Are there any special tips on using these sets? Or do I just fill the container with ink until the red plastic marker and have at it? Also, doesn't the ink end of drying inside, considering it looks like it can hold a whole lot of ink?

jor412

Quote Originally Posted by lovemy51 View Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

just $15!!! what do you guys/gals think abou it?

regards.
    I think that's a great price. I got mine for around that vicinity but I've seen others sell for more than $20-25 on ebay.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    I just got two of these sets, one of which seems to be missing the base that makes it heavy and stable. At the bottom of the exterior of the ink container, it says something like push to remove. Does anyone know which model this one might have been?
    Pretty much impossible to answer without a picture. You might also try this page to pick out which one you are looking at.

My other set has the clear glass base. I haven't used it yet because I spent time cleaning it of dried ink and letting it air dry. Are there any special tips on using these sets? Or do I just fill the container with ink until the red plastic marker and have at it? Also, doesn't the ink end of drying inside, considering it looks like it can hold a whole lot of ink?
    I've used one of those #444 for about a year. As long as the capillary collector is clean (the little box-like apparatus that protrudes down from the top, and wicks the ink up to where the nib sits in the holder) you are ok. It can just be flushed. And, yes, if you don't do a lot of writing with it and use up the ink through writing, it will tend to dry up. I've had some J. Herbin Perle Noir in mine, and it seemed to be getting a bit thick. Sure enough, I opened it up, and it was really thick, like syrup. You know what, though? It was just the water component that had evaporated. I added distilled water to it, stirred it just a bit, and - voila! - reconstituted ink!

jor412

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Pretty much impossible to answer without a picture. You might also try this page to pick out which one you are looking at.

I've used one of those #444 for about a year. As long as the capillary collector is clean (the little box-like apparatus that protrudes down from the top, and wicks the ink up to where the nib sits in the holder) you are ok. It can just be flushed. And, yes, if you don't do a lot of writing with it and use up the ink through writing, it will tend to dry up. I've had some J. Herbin Perle Noir in mine, and it seemed to be getting a bit thick. Sure enough, I opened it up, and it was really thick, like syrup. You know what, though? It was just the water component that had evaporated. I added distilled water to it, stirred it just a bit, and - voila! - reconstituted ink!
    My phone and digi camera recently decided to conk out on me. I checked your link and one of the dip-less sets I have is a component of a double 444 because aside from not having the heavy base, it looks like my single 444. As soon as I get my cameras working I'll post a pic. It would be great to know what exactly it is.

Thanks for the tips on managing the ink. I might do a test run with a cheaper ink like Lamy before I use Herbin Perle Noir.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    Thanks for the tips on managing the ink. I might do a test run with a cheaper ink like Lamy before I use Herbin Perle Noir.
    Sure, that makes sense. I think we have to keep in mind the original task of these inkwells: to be used. If I put ink in one of these, I expect to be using it pretty regularly, so that the ink does, indeed, get used. The new #427 I just picked up holds even *more* ink, and there are two reservoirs. If you don't expect to be using one of these pens for a lot of writing, in a regular basis, I think it is only right to expect the ink supply to dry out in time. In none of these, to my knowledge, does the pen form anything approaching a perfect, closed seal.

But they sure are neat. I just cleared my desktop and made room for the new set. It is completely cool - not to mention it has a built-in pen rest in the front, which now has a prized other pen sitting there...

jor412

I just stumbled upon my dip-less while looking at ink wells and desk sets for a friend. I may "graduate" to a double set if I find myself using this single version often enough. Two different colors would probably be ideal for work.

Thanks

Brilliant! I actually just started getting into desk sets and have a regular desk set and another on the way. No Dip-Less for me...yet!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I don't have any desk pens. This is not good.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

This is terrible. You should remedy the situation at once; a desk pen is the very dream of ease-- just stick out your hand and you're ready to write!

goldiesdad

Great idea ... now if I could put that thing on the dash of my car we would be in business since I travel alot ...