Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Nibs

Thanks

Default Better Nibs

I've found that the cheap Chinese fountain pens, such as the Jinhao X450 and Century 100, and the Baoer 388 are decent pens, once you fine tune the nibs. However, those nibs don't have much "tooth" to them. I have a Goulet #6, made by JoWo, and it feels about the same. Is there a way to give a nib more "tooth", or friction? If not, can anyone recommend any decent steel nibs with the feedback I'm looking for, and a place to buy them? The Jinhao pens use standard #6 nibs. I think the Bauer 388 uses a standard #5? Is that correct?

Thanks

Default Re: Better Nibs

Last edited by Detman101; June 14th, 2021 at 11:34 AM.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Maybe it’s your paper. Try something with a bit more texture if you haven’t already.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Like...the nib tip is too slick for you?

I will let the more experienced chime in...my suggestion is bound to be too destructive.
    Yes, that's it. Too little friction...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Maybe it’s your paper. Try something with a bit more texture if you haven’t already.
    My pens are for general use - filling out forms, signing things, writing notes on existing documents, etc. So, I don't often have a choice of paper type. I have a Parker Duofold. The nib on it is perfect. Unfortunately, it's an odd size, so I can't use it in any of my cheap pens, and that's too bad!

Thanks

I have purchased specialty nibs on eBay from ”bobby" which seem to have more feedback (fude and architect style). Maybe his regular nibs would appeal to you? https://www.ebay.com.au/str/officesuppliespen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarish View Post
    I have purchased specialty nibs on eBay from ”bobby" which seem to have more feedback (fude and architect style). Maybe his regular nibs would appeal to you? https://www.ebay.com.au/str/officesuppliespen
    Thanks. I'll check them out.

Thanks

I think the standard steel Franklin Christoph nibs have a nice toothy sound and feel, while not being scratchy. Especially the extra fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    I think the standard steel Franklin Christoph nibs have a nice toothy sound and feel, while not being scratchy. Especially the extra fine.
    Thanks! I tend toward medium nibs, but if the finer nibs have good feedback, the medium ones probably do too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyCyclePilot View Post

Thanks! I tend toward medium nibs, but if the finer nibs have good feedback, the medium ones probably do too.
    They have that nice pencil-like sound. The EF writes like a Japanese fine, the fine (which is a smoother, less noisy nib) like a Japanese medium. Platinum 3776 pens have a soft, toothy whisper too, the medium is my favorite of all my pens, and though a gold nib, they can easily be found in the $100 range.

I must add, that except for Tomoe River, I don’t use smooth papers, like Rhodia. I generally choose paper with a little bit of tooth to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyCyclePilot View Post

They have that nice pencil-like sound. The EF writes like a Japanese fine, the fine (which is a smoother, less noisy nib) like a Japanese medium. Platinum 3776 pens have a soft, toothy whisper too, the medium is my favorite of all my pens, and though a gold nib, they can easily be found in the $100 range.

I must add, that except for Tomoe River, I don’t use smooth papers, like Rhodia. I generally choose paper with a little bit of tooth to it.
    Excellent. Thanks!

Thanks

I don't think I would call them "toothy," but my SIG and Nagahara nibs have some really nice feedback

The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    I don't think I would call them "toothy," but my SIG and Nagahara nibs have some really nice feedback.
    Thanks. I've been looking at the Christoph nibs. I emailed them, and their nibs are JoWo, but they claim to do things to them to make them "better". Their gold nibs are beautiful, but expensive. I might have to try one or two anyway. Or maybe the Nagahara nibs.

I have one JoWo nib, from Goulet. I can't feel any difference between it and the stock Jinhao nibs, but maybe that's just me.

Thanks

I have some JOWO, Generic German Steel Nibs. They are Bock and Nemosine, and Knox in Size 5 and Size 6 . M line writing.
    I bought a lot for my Chinese pens. have a Few Jowos as a set of screw type ( with a feed ) section.
    Goes for many pens as the Conklin Duragraph. They are all brand new in the original plastic Zip packing. I am planing to sell them as I don't want them anymore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    I don't think I would call them "toothy," but my SIG and Nagahara nibs have some really nice feedback

Reminds me of a quote which I have seen attributed to Hunter S. Thompson:

His teeth so resembled a dental Stonehenge that he rarely smiled, for fear of attracting druids.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

Stands on Feet (June 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks

Some Chinese pens comes with a " TOOTHY NIB" wing Sung 3008 comes with the nibs that suite you.
    It takes the Lamy safari EF- F nibs. I also like nibs with feed back and they suits my cursive writing.
    I have two pens, one with a Lamy nib. Both pens writes with feed back on any papers.
    Jowo fine nibs have the same characters for me I have a bunch of Chinese pens with "German generic" nibs - origin Jowo.
    They are same as the Goulett pens and F. Christoph pens. The difference is You pay a more higher price when you get their nibs.
    I bought some Knox Nibs and Nimosine from Birmingham Pen Co. They are cheaper as they are not selling the nibs as their brand but as Generic JOWO.

Schmidt Nibs are too worth trying. I like them and they are cheaper.I have some NO5 ( Small ) on Chinese pens they are interesting.
    I have Noodlers Pens ( I like the Noodlers creeper series ) They write with feed back that I like.
    The last one but not least NY fountain pen company the flex series with Indian pens they are good steel nibs you can grind them and play with to get whatever feed back you need.They are slightly flexible too .

To end the end story.. If you try any VINTAGE PEN YOU HAVE THAT FEED BACK EFFECT ON WHAT YOU WRITE .
    SO THAT'S WHY I NEVER BUY ANY MODERN PENS. I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS LONG BEFORE BUYING ALL THE MODERN PENS.
    Last edited by Cyril; June 27th, 2021 at 05:54 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Some Chinese pens comes with a " TOOTHY NIB" wing Sung 3008 comes with the nibs that suite you.
    It takes the Lamy safari EF- F nibs. I also like nibs with feed back and they suits my cursive writing.
    I have two pens, one with a Lamy nib. Both pens writes with feed back on any papers.
    Jowo fine nibs have the same characters for me I have a bunch of Chinese pens with "German generic" nibs - origin Jowo.
    They are same as the Goulett pens and F. Christoph pens. The difference is You pay a more higher price when you get their nibs.
    I bought some Knox Nibs and Nimosine from Birmingham Pen Co. They are cheaper as they are not selling the nibs as their brand but as Generic JOWO.

Schmidt Nibs are too worth trying. I like them and they are cheaper.I have some NO5 ( Small ) on Chinese pens they are interesting.
    I have Noodlers Pens ( I like the Noodlers creeper series ) They write with feed back that I like.
    The last one but not least NY fountain pen company the flex series with Indian pens they are good steel nibs you can grind them and play with to get whatever feed back you need.They are slightly flexible too .

To end the end story.. If you try any VINTAGE PEN YOU HAVE THAT FEED BACK EFFECT ON WHAT YOU WRITE .
    SO THAT'S WHY I NEVER BUY ANY MODERN PENS. I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS LONG BEFORE BUYING ALL THE MODERN PENS.
    Thanks! Are you saying that Chinese pens, such as Jinhao, Baoer, and Duke use Jowo Nibs?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

If you really want "tooth" in inexpensive steel nibs, the obvious choice is vintage Esterbrook, especially the 2xxx series nibs without tipping.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

guyy (July 1st, 2021), wingwiper (July 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    If you really want "tooth" in inexpensive steel nibs, the obvious choice is vintage Esterbrook, especially the 2xxx series nibs without tipping.
    couldn't agree more, smooth but they do have quite a bit of feedback