Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Pen Show Feb 2014. Booty Shots.

Thanks

Default Los Angeles Pen Show Feb 2014. Booty Shots.

That's the way to do it!

Buying pens the Davey way...

30 minutes. Single Purchase. 58 pens. Mosaic Duofold gone already to new home. Close out a collection in one easy step.

Upper Left

*PFM's incluing mint cellophaned, coujple PFM IV's, Broad Stub Nib PFM I set.
    *Couple Lambrou CP4 Sterling Legacies and a non-CP4 Sterling Legacy
    * 3 Modern Duofolds. Black/pearl Flattops and Blue Mosaic
    *Couple lined Sterling Targas including on with broad stub nib

Lower Left:

* 5 Sheaffer Targas
    * 5 1970's Sheaffer metal Imperials (Sterling and gold-filled)
    * Parker 21 Deluxe set

Center Top

* Wahl Executive Skyline in brown (first I've owned)
    *Wahl Skyline with two tone nib
    *Wahl Greg Writing School Rosewood Rubber
    *Wahl Moire Green high flex nib

Center Bottom

* Parker Duofold Senior 1930 Seafoam Green with Broad Stub Nib. Superb condition pen
    *Parker Vacumatic Senior Maxima Golden Pearl
    *Parker 1.5th Generation Vacumatic "Long Standard" (Off Catalogue)
    *Parker Deluxe Challenger Green Plaque-on-black celluloid

Upper RIght

'*Chrome Metal Imperial. Bunch of Levenger/Sheaffer Connaisseur and lower line pens, X-mas Imperiasl

Lower Right

*Cadmium Yellow Imperial
    *Bunch of early Laque Sheaffer Legacies
    *Sheaffer Grand Connaisseur chased black
    *Namiki Sterling ?Asian? Series?
    *Sheaffer Grand Connaisser fluted gold-plated
    *Pelikan gold filled modern Toledo M730
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (February 15th, 2014), inlovewithjournals (February 16th, 2014), Jeph (February 15th, 2014), ladynib302 (February 16th, 2014), Tony Rex (February 16th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Default Re: Los Angeles Pen Show Feb 2014. Booty Shots.

Your method mocks my one-at-a-time method.

Looks like you bought more pens at once than I have currently, hahaha. But, ah, where are the Nakayas?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (March 1st, 2014)

Thanks

Not sure what a Nakaya is, but it sounds nice.

No, this hoard was mostly USA-made. Fun pens though, a quite nice mix of old and new-ish.

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.

Thanks

Wow what a great haul! I do like a sterling silver Sheaffer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 172 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Your method mocks my one-at-a-time method.

Looks like you bought more pens at once than I have currently, hahaha. But, ah, where are the Nakayas?

Ummm, here's one.

Hahaha. David's methods are fascinating to say the least. the collection looks much better in person.
    Last edited by plistumi; February 15th, 2014 at 11:10 AM.

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...
    As a sharp wit and powerful sarcasm is a sign that you already have.

Somebody

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to plistumi For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 15th, 2014), earthdawn (February 15th, 2014), ethernautrix (February 16th, 2014), inlovewithjournals (February 16th, 2014), Sketchy (February 18th, 2014), VertOlive (February 16th, 2014)

Thanks

So that was David's impulse buy. I am still waiting to see the pictures of the stuff he was hunting for!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

That is a beauty, plistumi!

As for David's acquisition, I have the converter "collection" to match. I suppose all these converters are a testament to the number of Sheaffers I used to own. Funny, now none of the Sheaffers I have is c/c.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Hehehe... I think it is kinda funny that Dr. I's posts ended up being hit by a spam-bot!

Great haul, David, as usual. Will wait for your full accounting on FPB, if nowhere else. I'm sure you found some great pens, hope you sold a few as well. I almost laughed up my coffee when you saw me with my meager pen case open and asked if I was selling! Good seeing you, as always.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

You people need to comprehend the concept of booty shots... All I see is pens...

Thanks

Yes. I am with Loren on this. When I read the phrase "booty shots" I am not expecting to see pictures of pens. And, as between two kinds of eye candy, I prefer what I had in mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Love that seafoam green Parker!

Oh. I think my heart stopped when the Nakaya rolled by...
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith42 View Post
    You people need to comprehend the concept of booty shots... All I see is pens...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Tarshis View Post
    Yes. I am with Loren on this. When I read the phrase "booty shots" I am not expecting to see pictures of pens. And, as between two kinds of eye candy, I prefer what I had in mind.
    Gentlemen,

I believe those pictures can be found on FPN.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

AltecGreen (February 16th, 2014), Sketchy (February 18th, 2014), tandaina (February 17th, 2014)

Thanks

I was a little disappointed this year. Maybe a little knowledge is dangerous. Last year was fun as it was my first show. Now, armed with a little knowledge, I thought some of the pen prices were outrageous!
    I went looking to buy 2 pens but only got one...Delta Dolce Vita piston filler. More than happy with it and got it for a good price. I was also looking for a Visconti Opera crystal but the only vendor who had one wanted $450 for his " test pen " which had been filled and used several times ( and probably not just at the LA Show by the looks of the caked hard ink inside ) but said he could order me a brand new one for....wait for it.....$450! So, he wanted me to pay $450 for a well used one that he could get for me new at the same price! Craaaazzzeeeeeee!!!!! Needless to say, I did not order from him.
    I was tempted by the Visconti Divina Desert Springs but I really want the Opera Crystal and was proud of myself for resisting the temptation.
    Was it just me or was the show much quieter this year??? Did not seem as busy as last year to me or maybe it was just because last year was my first show and I was a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of pens?
    All in all...happy with the Dolce Vita ( actually set out to buy the oversize but I have enough c/c fillers so went with the medium sized piston filler ) and disappointed in not getting an Opera Crystal.
    @ David i...wish I had the funds to buy that many pens at once....nice set you got there!

David

Thanks

Sandy, when you talk about pen prices, are you mainly focusing on new(er) pens, or vintage, or all? I tend to not shop for new pens there, as it is not only not my focus, but unless I *need* to try one, I'm figuring there is no way to get a better price than online.

*My* reason for going to these shows is to see things I can't see anywhere else, and that is primarily pens that are no longer in production, vintage and recent. When I'm looking at used - as they all are, save for NOS - I relish the opportunity to really examine it, and not just look at pictures of them. In this light, a pen show is irreplaceable.

My take was a bit weird: I only realized, in hindsight, that I hadn't actually attended on Thursday before. I did this year, and when we walked in just after lunch, I almost freaked - what happened? There were only about half the tables occupied, and I thought 50% of the show had gotten stuck in the snow and ice! But that was just the slowest of the trading days, and by Friday the room was full, just as in years past. Lot of good pen and parts hunting, even better conversations, a good event for me. I do note, maybe like yourself, that with a different focus comes a loss of some of that "overwhelming" nature of a first show (this was my third). I actually enjoyed it more because of that.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Aleks (February 17th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

My take was a bit weird: I only realized, in hindsight, that I hadn't actually attended on Thursday before. I did this year, and when we walked in just after lunch, I almost freaked - what happened? There were only about half the tables occupied, and I thought 50% of the show had gotten stuck in the snow and ice! But that was just the slowest of the trading days, and by Friday the room was full, just as in years past. Lot of good pen and parts hunting, even better conversations, a good event for me. I do note, maybe like yourself, that with a different focus comes a loss of some of that "overwhelming" nature of a first show (this was my third). I actually enjoyed it more because of that.

Thursday always play out the same. It is usually 1/3-1/2 full with a pick up towards the end of the day. Jon, you left too early on Thursday. By 4-4:30, things were a bit more lively. We did lose a few of the regulars from back east like Paul Erano.

Excluding Sunday which has a different bent, Thursday saw more business than Friday or Saturday. I spoke to a lot of dealers and they all said Thursday was their best day. It is true that many people had not arrived or set-up on Thursday but the big money changed hands on Thursday including several large collections. I did 75% of my business on Thursday and that is unusual. In fact, I could have finished all of my pen buying business on Thursday. It was that good.

Saturday last year was a ghost town but there was more traffic this year. Sunday was still pretty busier than in many years past but probably saw a bit less of a crush than last year. This is a good thing for the dealers since they had problems keeping up last year. The distribution of traffic was better this year since it was not all concentrated on Sunday.

As for Sandy Fry, modern pens can be hit or miss in LA. LA is more vintage focused. For modern pens except Japanese pens, try the DC show or one of the other medium sized East Coast show. Many of those shows have more of a focus on current production pens. I don't really feel that pens shows are the best for modern pens in terms of prices. Often, the prices are higher than buying online. This is especially true for current production pens. However, Pen shows are great for hunting down out of production moderns or used modern pens but then prices are then determined by the laws of supply and demand. Pens shows are good for pens like a Nakaya which has fixed pricing and the ability to get the pen tuned in person.

I'll discuss more of my impression when I post my LA report tomorrow. I just finished processing the 700+ photos.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

amk (March 4th, 2018), dannzeman (February 17th, 2014), ethernautrix (February 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AltecGreen View Post
    Thursday always play out the same. It is usually 1/3-1/2 full with a pick up towards the end of the day. Jon, you left too early on Thursday. By 4-4:30, things were a bit more lively. We did lose a few of the regulars from back east like Paul Erano.

It is true that many people had not arrived or set-up on Thursday but the big money changed hands on Thursday including several large collections. I did 75% of my business on Thursday and that is unusual. In fact, I could have finished all of my pen buying business on Thursday. It was that good.
    Yeah, I sort-of knew that about Thurs, but forgot that I hadn't experienced it. Try to remember (or correct me if I'm wrong) that those "big money / large collection" things are mainly involving just a few people who are already in the know, a different kind of beast than browsing through the room. At least to me, I have felt the Thurs activity is for those who are already big players in the collection game, and I'm certainly not part of that.

We'll see what next year brings.

BTW, that totally pisses me off that Paul was there and was gone by the end of Thurs! He was one guy I wanted to hang with, but we had obligations. I'll have to write him, I really find him to be a real inspiration.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph View Post
    So that was David's impulse buy. I am still waiting to see the pictures of the stuff he was hunting for!
    How did Lt Uhura say it... "be careful what you wish for"?....

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

24. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 17th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Sandy, when you talk about pen prices, are you mainly focusing on new(er) pens, or vintage, or all? I tend to not shop for new pens there, as it is not only not my focus, but unless I *need* to try one, I'm figuring there is no way to get a better price than online.

*My* reason for going to these shows is to see things I can't see anywhere else, and that is primarily pens that are no longer in production, vintage and recent. When I'm looking at used - as they all are, save for NOS - I relish the opportunity to really examine it, and not just look at pictures of them. In this light, a pen show is irreplaceable.

I buy vintage pens, and was really surprised by the prices I saw at the pen show I attended, I found them very, very high for the most part. Especially for Montblanc and Pelikan pens. Some of the smaller vendors had some good prices on more obscure brands, but I was pretty put off by the prices.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    I buy vintage pens, and was really surprised by the prices I saw at the pen show I attended, I found them very, very high for the most part. Especially for Montblanc and Pelikan pens. Some of the smaller vendors had some good prices on more obscure brands, but I was pretty put off by the prices.
    Just out of curiosity, compared to what? I'm still fairly new at the pen show game and have only attended the one held in LA, but I would imagine prices, just as they do online, fluctuate up and down according to the current market. Many vendors are open to negotiation as well, and with the large supply, it is usually a good way to look for a vintage pen.

But certainly not the only way!

As a side issue, I was looking for a fairly obscure pen, of which I found precisely none at the show. Meanwhile, I had a snipe on one of the few I had seen on eBay. It went for waaaay more than I anticipated (or wanted to spend). The hunt continues...

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post

The trick of course is that buying at a pen show is not like buying from an online store with a buy it now price. You have to haggle with some vendors and the trick is to figure out how much they have into a pen. Some dealers will always start high because they can (rarity, condition, reputation, etc.). Hunting is part of a pen show. There are bargains to be had everywhere. This is where building a relationship helps. The price I paid for a few pens were much less than if someone had asked because I have done a lot of business with the seller. Then there is patience. I have at least one pen where I outlasted the seller. He had a high price so I did not buy the pen the first two years. The third year he relented and sold it for much less because it had not moved in three years.

Another point is that many of the desirable vintage pens are sold by collectors to collectors. The pens tend to be much cleaner and in better condition than random eBay pens or pens found in the wild. Thus the pricing reflects that fact.

A final point concerns vintage European and Japanese pens. These were never really sold in the US when the pens were new. They had to have been brought into the country at some point. It is extremely rare to find such vintage pens in the wild in the US. People who go to Europe to buy vintage European or Japanese pens and bring them here for sale can command a higher price. I collect vintage Italian and Japanese pens and you see a premium on these pens because of both general scarcity and the fact the supply is limited in the US. I could travel to Italy to buy and pay a lower cost but you then have to factor in the cost of travel and other expenses.
    Last edited by AltecGreen; February 17th, 2014 at 12:40 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 17th, 2014), kaisnowbird (February 17th, 2014)