Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ecclesiastical Stationary Supplies Registrars Ink (ESSRI) - particulate matter

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Ecclesiastical Stationary Supplies Registrars Ink (ESSRI) - particulate matter

An FYI on ESSRI:

I like having a specific pen filled with permanent ink for signing checks and documents, and for that purpose, my circa '75 146 has for a decade been filled with old-style Montblanc blue-black iron gall ink (50ml bottle "MBBB"). I recently compared the color to Registrars iron gall ink from Ecclesiastical Stationary Supplies (ESSRI) and after a flush, I switched. The pen clogged. I decanted the ~10-year-old 110ml bottle, and only then saw the precipitate. The third photo is after a rinse.

In another thread, it was suggested there are expiration dates for ESSRI. If so, it is a recent addition; my bottle lacks a date. I was unable to find online an ESSRI expiration caution.

Old MBBB seems to withstand the passage of time well, even after having been opened years ago, while ESSRI isn't so forgiving, and my old 146 tolerates MBBB with only occasional flushes. Meanwhile, I need to establish some sort of ink routine to examine contents of all my ink bottles and dispose of ink that looks lumpy, crunchy or otherwise suspicious before filling my pens.

(I've reposted these photos as a new thread; they were buried in an ink comparison discussion.)

IMG_3826.jpegIMG_3825.jpegIMG_3827.jpeg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Ecclesiastical Stationary Supplies Registrars Ink (ESSRI) - particulate matter

It's a pigment ink with bits of iron gall in there. They contain particulates.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

welch (May 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Ecclesiastical Stationary Supplies Registrars Ink (ESSRI) - particulate matter

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Right, but they clumped and became much bigger bits in ESSRI. I'm only speculating, but I suspect that Ecclesiastical Stationary Supplies lacked the sophistication of other ink manufacturers.

Is ESSRI a centuries-old recipe and made by monks in the back of 1 Rookwood Way? Apparently not. The address from whence it came is noted (on Google maps) as being "permanently closed," and JR Crane Services Ltd. has moved in.

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 94508AM.png
    "ESS, 1 Rookwood Way, Haverhill, Suffolk, CB9 8PB"
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 25th, 2021 at 08:07 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (April 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Fred, when I first read the Essri reviews, the reviewer recommended that the ink to be transferred into bottles.... plastic is porous...

Thanks

Oh dear. That may be why my order from 06 April hasn't been fulfilled and the email inquiry I sent hasn't been answered. I'll have to let Paypal work on a refund. The ESSRI website is still up though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Oh dear. That may be why my order from 06 April hasn't been fulfilled and the email inquiry I sent hasn't been answered. I'll have to let Paypal work on a refund. The ESSRI website is still up though.
    And the address on the website is different from the address Fred posted: ESS, 28 Windmill Rise, Hundon, Nr. Sudbury, Suffolk CO10 8EQ. Tel 01440 784596 Email email@nevastray.co.uk

The telephone number is also different from what is printed on the label on Fred's bottle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Right, but they clumped and became much bigger bits in ESSRI. I'm only speculating, but I suspect that Ecclesiastical Stationary Supplies lacked the sophistication of other ink manufacturers.

Is ESSRI a centuries-old recipe and made by monks in the back of 1 Rookwood Way? Apparently not. The address from whence it came is noted (on Google maps) as being "permanently closed," and JR Crane Services Ltd. has moved in.

Fred, Essri is made by a former employee of Stevens ink (1834 - 197?)

Thanks

Yes, they're up. And they updated the shipping from 14 to 20 pounds

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I placed my order at the old website, which is still up. Shipping there was 14.50GBP while the new website (which google showed much further down) has the shipping at 20.50GBP. I emailed ESSRI a new message to the address that BayesianPrior posted. Thanks!

Thanks

I placed my order at the old website, which is still up. Shipping there was 14.50GBP while the new website (which google showed much further down) has the shipping at 20.50GBP. I emailed ESSRI a new message to the address that BayesianPrior posted. Thanks!
    Nope it won't work. I chose the 14.50 and the paypal automatically puts 20£

Thanks

They must have changed it. I checked my Paypal account and it shows 14.50 GBP with the payment sent to ink@kerbury.co.uk with the conversion rate at $21.16 USD removed from my Paypal. Hope we both get our ink bottles.

Thanks

One too many websites? Stevens Ink? Kerbury.co.? What's going on?? It's almost like trying to pin down the source of all those inks coming out of Austria.

What is the new URL? Does it include a caution about aging ink or expiration dates?
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 25th, 2021 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks

ESSRI NEW Website: http://www.registrarsink.co.uk/

ESSRI OLD Website: http://www.registrarsink.co.uk/registrars_ink.html

Note the different physical addresses, 28 Windmill Rise vs 1 Rookwood Way. They website layouts look identical.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nexus For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (April 25th, 2021)

Thanks

...They website layouts look identical.
    But not the physical locations, going from from an industrial site to a home residence.

But, no, maybe not! The Paypal account! Kerbury.co.uk, a/k/a Kerbury Ltd., a/k/a Kerbury Business Centre (https://kerbury.co.uk/meet-the-team/) makes no mention of ESS, but note its address at 1 Hollands Road. That happens to be right around the corner from Rookwood Way where ESS used to be. Might the resident of ESS's new location at 28 Windmill Rise be an employee of Kerbury Business Centre, and if so, why keep ESS's address different from where the money goes: to Kerbury Ltd.? Is there some unpleasant exposure or liability in being connected to ESS registrars ink? Environmental regs? Health issues? Money laundering? International ink smuggling? Oh, the imagination can lead to all sorts of scenarios if given just a few morsels of data!

Anyway, Ecclesiastical clumped up and clogged. Pray for my pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    And the address on the website is different from the address Fred posted: ESS, 28 Windmill Rise, Hundon, Nr. Sudbury, Suffolk CO10 8EQ. Tel 01440 784596 Email email@nevastray.co.uk

The telephone number is also different from what is printed on the label on Fred's bottle.
    The label on the bottle I received in March reads:
    ESS 01440 784596
    REGISTRARS INK
    BLUE/BLACK
    110 ml

The bottle is plastic.

Thanks

But not the physical locations, going from from an industrial site to a home residence.

But, no, maybe not! The Paypal account! Kerbury.co.uk, a/k/a Kerbury Ltd., a/k/a Kerbury Business Centre (https://kerbury.co.uk/meet-the-team/) makes no mention of ESS, but note its address at 1 Hollands Road. That happens to be right around the corner from Rookwood Way where ESS used to be. Might the resident of ESS's new location at 28 Windmill Rise be an employee of Kerbury Business Centre, and if so, why keep ESS's address different from where the money goes: to Kerbury Ltd.? Is there some unpleasant exposure or liability in being connected to ESS registrars ink? Environmental regs? Health issues? Money laundering? International ink smuggling? Oh, the imagination can lead to all sorts of scenarios if given just a few morsels of data!

Is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Stands on Feet (April 26th, 2021)

Thanks

My experience has been that quite a number of companies that take PayPal have separate billing accounts. Whether this has to do with some requirement of PayPal, is simply for accounting reasons is anyone's guess, or some other reason.

Thanks

ESSRI NEW Website: http://www.registrarsink.co.uk/

ESSRI OLD Website: http://www.registrarsink.co.uk/registrars_ink.html

Note the different physical addresses, 28 Windmill Rise vs 1 Rookwood Way. They website layouts look identical.
    It doesn't make any difference. When you add it to your cart it puts the new price...20.50£

Thanks

I'll pray,,, but I'm sure your pen is fine. A bit fo rinsing and you'll buy a new bottle

Thanks

I'll pray,,, but I'm sure your pen is fine. A bit fo rinsing and you'll buy a new bottle
    Supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you're going to test that too.