Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taken the plunge into watercolor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 1,971 Posts

Default Taken the plunge into watercolor

There is something to be said about learning through osmosis.

For the longest time, I loved the idea of pairing my fountain pen sketches with watercolor.
    I LOVE watercolor paintings, more than any other types of paints such as acrylic or oil, watercolor always have that ethereal quality that just resonates with me -- although I've seen some realistic watercolor paintings that is bordering scary.

But I never feel confident to pull the trigger. I tried it sometime ago and the result is not satisfactory at all. I didn't know what I was doing and basically just created a rainbow of splotches. Not good.

So in my spare times (which I don't have the luxury of having many) I looked at many videos, sometimes until I fell asleep. Looked at hundreds of watercolor paintings on Instagram, read every books about watercolor in my local library. Little by little, things seem to clicked into place in my mind.

Today, after almost two years of absorbing a lot of materials and watercolor paintings, I finally feel that I can take a shot.

For this sketch, I decided to use a Merlin Merlina, a dainty little writer with excellent fine nib. And the R&K document black ink to make sure the watercolor won't smear the lines. The paper is Canson for watercolor (got it last year at an estate sale, otherwise it's quite expensive for a non-artist like myself). The watercolor paint is just a generic student-grade ones. Sure, I'd love to paint with Daniel Smith tubes or Schmincke Horadam pans, but I'm quite a way off from there.

Resisting the urge to apply hatching patterns, I took a deep breath and started to mix my watercolor.

Later...

Of course, it's still nothing compared to real watercolor paintings by real artists, but at least for me, this sketch proved the point that you do learn things by exposure and immersion. And it also gets me a bit closer to my dream to do real-time urban sketching with those cool kids (the urban sketchers).

The biggest difference this time is that I began to apply some of the concepts like pulling, shifting, even dabbing some of the colors off the paper to convey different values. And this time I use only 4 watercolor paints to get a palette that doesn't hurt my eyes like disco strobes.

And best of all, I still get to sketch with my favorite old FPs that I restored with my own hands from junkers to treasures.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

azkid (August 18th, 2019), carlos.q (August 18th, 2019), Chrissy (August 17th, 2019), countrydirt (August 18th, 2019), Deb (August 18th, 2019), fountainpagan (August 18th, 2019), jodylud (August 18th, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 18th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (August 18th, 2019), Marsilius (August 18th, 2019), Pterodactylus (August 29th, 2019), Robert (August 18th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (August 18th, 2019), usk15 (August 17th, 2019), Voiren (August 18th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: Taken the plunge into watercolor

Beautiful! I don't know nothing about water colors, to me it looks very neat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to usk15 For This Useful Post:

penwash (August 18th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

I think it's extremely well done.

Can you tell us anything about the building?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Really nice, Will - not just the painting but the entire energy you've put behind this. I really urge you to have a private convo with JunkyardSam (on reddit, as well as other places) who does amazing illustrations with pen/ink and watercolor. Not for artistic talk but any hints he might have on the process, especially good inks for this (I think he uses R&K as well).
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

I really like the feel of your watercolour. It has a nice energy.

Watercolour is my favourite medium. I’ve been working hard on my watercolour painting a lot over the summer and now almost exclusively use Pigma Micron pens or a FP with Platinum Carbon Black ink. It really doesn’t budge and works well on CP, HP or NOT watercolour papers.

I think you’d really enjoy a slight upgrade to your paints. The quality of paint probably makes the most difference to the finished work and student quality do make it much harder to achieve the effect you’re aiming for. There’s no need to pay the silly prices for Daniel Smith or the like. I suggest Winsor & Newton Cotman, or even W & N Professional Series, paints. Dahler Rowney are reasonable too. It’s fun to paint with a limited 6-colour palette (eg warm & cold yellow, red & blue primaries), and then mix your own colours. I find that pre-mixed greens in particular are not very realistic,

I recommend looking at the work of artists such as Jane Blundell & Liz Steel, and especially Geoff Kersey and Teoh Yi Chie

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (August 18th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (August 18th, 2019), penwash (August 18th, 2019)

Thanks

I totally agree with all Migo said.

You are lucky, you live in a country where watercolour material is quite affordable (even Sennelier, mde in France, is cheaper in the US). I would say you can also look for White nights of St Petersburg, highly pigmented watercolours, artist quality, and not expensive. Have a look at some watercolour paper - there are good quality ones that don't cost much, and the pigments will express themselves better.

Internet: to add to the artists Migo advised , who are great references, have a look at Mind of the watercolour.

I very much like your drawing, but the watercolour lacks a little in values.
    It is the hardest medium. You didn't choose facility
    Last edited by fountainpagan; August 18th, 2019 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Woohoo!

What is quite fun as well is sketching with a fountain pen, then adding water straight away to move the ink about and give you washes. Or putting fountain pen ink down on a wet surface. With watercolours you have the colour and you have the way you put the paint and water down/saturation/texture. It can sometimes be easier to see what you can do with the second set of those if you leave out the first and work in monotone for a bit, and do your colour mixing practice separately.

(Disclaimer: not a watercolour expert! I used to paint more in acrylics. I think the hardest thing with watercolours is knowing when to stop so you keep the lightness and don't overwork it all).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I admire your painting, Will. I wish I could paint but I can't.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Really nice work. I have done little watercolors on and often off for years. One day a professional illustrator whose work I admire suggested I draw my lines with very light pencil, THEN add the watercolor, this creating lines by where the different colors meet, and THEN add the (waterproof) ink lines. Every now and then I try that and alternately like the results and marvel how they could do it so well.

Your watercolor captures that same feeling nicely with ink one the page first.
    Fortibus es in ero

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Wow that's fantastic! I'm extremely impressed by both your art and the efforts you put into learning. I really like this piece and the colors, textures, and composition.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I like your drawing, Penwash. I admire you even more for sharing your early attempts with us so we can see how you improve over time.

I love Tina's drawings at Fueled by Clouds and Coffee. Her blog seems a good one for someone who is just starting out with watercolor.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Lovely work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I think it's extremely well done.

Can you tell us anything about the building?
    The building, I think is an old smoke-shed, it's attached to the outside of a hall at he center of a small town in East Texas. The vines and the rusted iron door was what caught my attention.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Really nice, Will - not just the painting but the entire energy you've put behind this. I really urge you to have a private convo with JunkyardSam (on reddit, as well as other places) who does amazing illustrations with pen/ink and watercolor. Not for artistic talk but any hints he might have on the process, especially good inks for this (I think he uses R&K as well).
    Yeah, JunkyardSam is one of the artists that I followed. I'd love to talk to artists, but at this point, I had to take a slower approach to just observe and learn. Maybe later when I have more time to dedicate to this, I'd be able to start learning properly.
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Yeah, JunkyardSam is one of the artists that I followed. I'd love to talk to artists, but at this point, I had to take a slower approach to just observe and learn. Maybe later when I have more time to dedicate to this, I'd be able to start learning properly.
    Completely understand. Just be aware that he is a wonderful guy, very open and easy to talk to about anything. During my brief foray into visual arts a year or two ago, I asked him a bunch of stuff. Still keeping it in the brain for when I come back to all this.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    I really like the feel of your watercolour. It has a nice energy.

Watercolour is my favourite medium. I’ve been working hard on my watercolour painting a lot over the summer and now almost exclusively use Pigma Micron pens or a FP with Platinum Carbon Black ink. It really doesn’t budge and works well on CP, HP or NOT watercolour papers.

I think you’d really enjoy a slight upgrade to your paints. The quality of paint probably makes the most difference to the finished work and student quality do make it much harder to achieve the effect you’re aiming for. There’s no need to pay the silly prices for Daniel Smith or the like. I suggest Winsor & Newton Cotman, or even W & N Professional Series, paints. Dahler Rowney are reasonable too. It’s fun to paint with a limited 6-colour palette (eg warm & cold yellow, red & blue primaries), and then mix your own colours. I find that pre-mixed greens in particular are not very realistic,

I recommend looking at the work of artists such as Jane Blundell & Liz Steel, and especially Geoff Kersey and Teoh Yi Chie
    Thank you for the pointers! I appreciate it.
    I have a Pigma Micron, but even at 01 size, it still feels not as fine as my XF and F fountain pen nibs. Maybe it's the size of the my sketches that is too small.
    I will get a bottle of Platinum Carbon Black, I love the "blackness" of even the standard edition Platinum Black.

Your suggestion of W&N Cotman is exactly what I've been researching on. Never heard of Dahler Rowney, so thanks for that. What do you think of QoR Watercolor sets?

As far as artists go, I already followed Liz Steel, Stephanie Bower, and several others. But the one whose style I really like goes by the username @lingfeng9527 on Instagram.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpagan View Post
    I totally agree with all Migo said.

You are lucky, you live in a country where watercolour material is quite affordable (even Sennelier, mde in France, is cheaper in the US). I would say you can also look for White nights of St Petersburg, highly pigmented watercolours, artist quality, and not expensive. Have a look at some watercolour paper - there are good quality ones that don't cost much, and the pigments will express themselves better.

Internet: to add to the artists Migo advised , who are great references, have a look at Mind of the watercolour.

I very much like your drawing, but the watercolour lacks a little in values.
    It is the hardest medium. You didn't choose facility
    Thank you for the critique first of all.
    Depicting values that allow the viewer's mind to complete the sketch satisfyingly has always been a goal for me to improve on.
    I am barely comfortable doing that with hatching patterns, let alone using one of the trickiest medium

I'll take a look at your suggestions, the White Nights watercolor set seems reasonably priced especially.
    - Will

23. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (August 19th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voiren View Post
    Woohoo!

What is quite fun as well is sketching with a fountain pen, then adding water straight away to move the ink about and give you washes. Or putting fountain pen ink down on a wet surface. With watercolours you have the colour and you have the way you put the paint and water down/saturation/texture. It can sometimes be easier to see what you can do with the second set of those if you leave out the first and work in monotone for a bit, and do your colour mixing practice separately.

(Disclaimer: not a watercolour expert! I used to paint more in acrylics. I think the hardest thing with watercolours is knowing when to stop so you keep the lightness and don't overwork it all).
    You know I've tried to work fountain pen inks into my sketches, but so far the result has been non-satisfactory.
    I know some artists can do that very well. Nick Stewart for example.

We'll see how far I can stick with watercolor
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I admire your painting, Will. I wish I could paint but I can't.
    Thank you Deb, it's also another excuse for me to use vintage pens
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Really nice work. I have done little watercolors on and often off for years. One day a professional illustrator whose work I admire suggested I draw my lines with very light pencil, THEN add the watercolor, this creating lines by where the different colors meet, and THEN add the (waterproof) ink lines. Every now and then I try that and alternately like the results and marvel how they could do it so well.

Your watercolor captures that same feeling nicely with ink one the page first.

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Wow that's fantastic! I'm extremely impressed by both your art and the efforts you put into learning. I really like this piece and the colors, textures, and composition.
    Thank you both!
    - Will