Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Favorite Writers

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Three Favorite Writers

Per a thread on Pentrace, I took a couple of quick photos of my (current) favorite writing instruments. As in "this is what I am reaching for when I want to write something".

L - R: Bexley Prometheus with a Sheaffer 8C nib; Platinum 3776 in tortoise-shell celluloid with a Nakaya italic by Mottishaw; Moore "Frankenpen" with a B-15 eyedropper barrel, cap from a Monarch and a Sheaffer 1920s-era nib.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (August 6th, 2019), amk (August 7th, 2019), AzJon (August 8th, 2019), Bisquitlips (December 27th, 2023), catbert (August 5th, 2019), Chrissy (August 5th, 2019), da vinci (August 6th, 2019), Empty_of_Clouds (August 5th, 2019), fountainpagan (August 6th, 2019), Kaputnik (August 5th, 2019), sharmon202 (August 8th, 2019), VertOlive (August 5th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Three Favorite Writers

Does the Sheaffer 8C nib fit straight into the Bexley, or does it require a modified feed?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (December 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Does the Sheaffer 8C nib fit straight into the Bexley, or does it require a modified feed?
    It all seemed to match well. The Bexleys use a nib housing, and frankly, I can't remember whether it is a Bock or Jowo #6 cartridge. I also don't remember if they (Bexley) put in a modified feed, but I don't think so. I was just kind of lucky that the Bex nib 'wiggled' out and I was able to put the Sheaffer right in there. I did a lot of eyeballing to see if it was going to make sense, and it's actually a remarkably good fit. The nib actually looks more appropriate for the pen, as even a #6 nib (the one they had) looked on the small side.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (August 7th, 2019), Bisquitlips (December 27th, 2023), Empty_of_Clouds (August 5th, 2019)

Thanks

Hmm, I wouldn't mind trying that. My Prometheus has a Jowo #6 nib that is uninspiring. Are the 8C nibs relatively easily found? (I realise that this is a faintly ridiculous suggestion given how poor my track record in finding things has been up to now).

Thanks

Hmm, I wouldn't mind trying that. My Prometheus has a Jowo #6 nib that is uninspiring. Are the 8C nibs relatively easily found? (I realise that this is a faintly ridiculous suggestion given how poor my track record in finding things has been up to now).
    Trying to *absolutely* specify a nib from that brand/era is beyond my ken. This was from an 8C (the actual model of the pen) that I took a flying leap at, since it was capless and the barrel was cracked - i.e. I got it for $20 and I was willing to lose $20 on it. I got lucky.

Quite a few of the Sheaffer pens from that era have large nibs that would go well with the pen, but I can't attest to true size, curvature, etc. This is simply why I will occasionally purchase a dog pen on the chance that one element that catches my eye turns out to be a good prospect. Often times these are projects that play out over a couple of years, pens always waiting. The Moore in the photo is like that: I married a capless body with that nib and had a funky slip-on cap for the last two years. Really nice writer and then BOOM - Myk Daigle ends up having an eBay sale of a Moore Monarch with a vent-hold crack in the nib and barrel with issues. The wild upside (since when I bought it I really didn't know what I was going to do)? The cap has the same threads, and the barrel was the same size. Perfect pairing... uh, except the barrel is chased and cap isn't. Such is life.

I would never suggest you try this. I wouldn't want that responsibility. The only option I might suggest would be to source a nib (only) through someone like Rob at Five Star Pens, but he won't be able to tell you if it's a good fit or not. The best bet, though, would be a pen show, where you can truly see and compare.

tl;dr: You can find old Sheaffer nibs in big sizes, but nothing is guaranteed. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 5th, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks (and apologies for the slight derailing). Pen shows are never going to be an option, so I guess this is likely another dead end. No matter, it was worth asking the question.

Thanks

Thanks (and apologies for the slight derailing). Pen shows are never going to be an option, so I guess this is likely another dead end. No matter, it was worth asking the question.
    No worries at all, I know you are in a tough position. I also forgot to mention - if it matters - that a very high percentage of those Sheaffer nibs are *very* stiff. That giant one on the Bexley could be used to play lawn darts or put in a nail gun!

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 5th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Is the cap on the Moore modern retro, or vintage? Gorgeous!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 5th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Is the cap on the Moore modern retro, or vintage? Gorgeous!
    Oh, vintage HR. Purchased from Myk Daigle, all the problems with the pen were in the barrel (nib crack, barrel lip cracks, etc), which I knew in advance. You can see how similar the barrels are, virtually identical save for the lever-fill system. I really hadn't thought about all this when I purchased but it turned out great. I'm going to try to salvage the nib/feed/section from the Monarch, but 3 cracks in HR where the section inserts into the barrel are pretty much a dead end.

moore_monarch.jpg

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Well, I like it. And to quote the good doctor, "It's alive!"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 6th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

I like this topic. Thanks for initiating. Will think about my three best writers and come back when found out.
    c.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I've fit more than a few vintage pen nibs to the JoWo #6 nib units. I have one, in fact, with an 8C nib. It's a great pen now, if one likes a firm, practical, fine-point nib. To broadly describe this activity, I would say that fitting vintage nibs to modern pens is something one does if A) one finds oneself in possession of nice gold nibs that are bereft of pens and B) one is willing to take a risk in the hopes of making things better. Rarely would a nib be an easy drop-in replacement. Note that the JoWo feed cups crack easily if stressed. Wiggling a foreign nib in while the feed cup is reinforced by the pen section is a lot safer than working with the unit out of the pen, but insertion can be either difficult or so easy that the nib moves around in place because it is too thin or narrow at the shoulder. The feed cups are molded with an undercut to accept the #6 nibs, and the undercut may be too wide when the nib is inserted or too narrow, preventing the nib from being inserted as far as one would like.
    --
    Mike

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Jon, I can do two favorite writers right now.
    But I have to select one from my other favorites for the 3rd one.

Hmmm... one would think this is easy.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Hey, it's completely open. "Favorite Writers" is what it should be - from one to ???

I just happened to focus on these three. Someone on reddit asked "why no Sailor", but 2 of my EDC 3 are Sailors, so those are obviously faves, too. Go for it!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Hey, it's completely open. "Favorite Writers" is what it should be - from one to ???

I just happened to focus on these three. Someone on reddit asked "why no Sailor", but 2 of my EDC 3 are Sailors, so those are obviously faves, too. Go for it!
    Haha.. I knew it's open.

But limiting to three turned out to be a good exercise for me.
    I have a pretty good idea what pens I have, yet when trying to come up with 3 favorite writers, I was surprised that none came to mind immediately for the 3rd (well, a few came up to mind but those are sold already, so...) .
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

25. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

I made my selection too. Here comes my three favourite writers (...for the moment):

favourite writers by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

The first and most used one is a common Pelikan 400 from the 1950's. The EF nib is just how I like it for small writing and sketching.

Pelikan 400 Green by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

The second one is a Montblanc Meisterstück 138 from the late 1930's with a delicious stubbish BB steel nib. I have to admit that I don't use that pen often...

Montblanc Meisterstück 138 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

The third one is a Parker Duofold Senior in BHR - a monument of a pen. Also this one sports a nib that writes exactly how I like it for daily use: fine, soft and smooth. No flexibility needed, just enough softness for a comfortable writing experience.

Duofold Senior BHR by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Of course there are a lot more pens that I love to use, so this is just a selection for the moment.

C.
    Last edited by christof; August 7th, 2019 at 08:16 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 7th, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 7th, 2019)

Thanks

My favourite writers (at least for the last few months) are:

Pilot Custom Heritage 912 [FA] that I have actually twice, so much do I like the feel of these FA nibs: One 912 is mostly filled with one of the many blue-black inks I am testing, one is mostly filled with a colour that pops (s.th. red-ish, pink-ish)
    and the third pen would be the same Platinum 3776 Brown Tortoise shown in the first post of the thread. Mine (shown here on my Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BuWLjnaD6Wu/) has a stub nib that has probably been worked on, but since I bought it pre-owned I will never know for sure if and by whom it was altered. This pen mostly takes whatever ink I want to use up as it writes gloriously wet and broad and empties out a whole converter within ca. 2 A4 pages.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieParadise For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 7th, 2019)

Thanks

Three favourites today; two old, one new.

Fred Faggionato red cherry Petrarque king size. I swapped in a Franklin Christoph flex nib and I adore it. Although I am still at the chickenscratch stage of writing with flex. This is the new pen - it's only been with me for a week. I was disappointed at first, and then as I kept looking at the pen, I saw more and more wonderful depth in the acrylic - it's really grown on me. And it is superbly comfortable as a daily writer.
    Platinum 3776 briar. Fine. An adorable pen that I have had for a while. One of my favourites in the 3776 range, and I have a few.
    and
    a BB nib!!!!! in a Pelikan m400. Writes like a felt tip!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 7th, 2019)

Thanks

Three? Impossible!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 7th, 2019)

Thanks

314F6BF2-334E-429F-9339-A21B693DED2F.jpg

First two are eyedroppers.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bold2013 For This Useful Post:

amk (December 27th, 2023), Jon Szanto (August 7th, 2019)