Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Brian Goulet and his recent Q&A "under cutting"

Thanks

Default Re: Brian Goulet and his recent Q&A "under cutting"

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Bezos-bot reported.
    I doubt a bot would know the difference between per se and some barbarism.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromNashville View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TAYLORPUPPY View Post
    This was a very good,well thought out response. However, the one thing that can't be taken out of context is when at an earlier time,he said he had no problem with putting mom & pop out of business. As there's was a dying business model. Now he's lamenting the loss of some sales. That's not such a big deal, but when you start throwing up in your customers faces what you're doing for them and how hard it is and whether or not it's with it to you to continue. That's where I draw the line
    You know, it's all well and good to be anecdotal, and in my early comments I made mention that I thought I remembered Mr. Goulet discussing as much in a general sense. However, you have just attributed to him the statement that he had "no problem with putting mom and pop out of business". I'd really like a source for that, because otherwise it is a pretty damning statement without any evidence whatsoever. I'm happy to form opinions based on what someone says, but not on what someone else says they said.

Please link to a source.
    I want to go on record here saying this was not a direct quote...
    Well... I am not certain why you are mentioning this when I was referring to TaylorPuppy's message, but it is as I recall it, as well: a non-malicious reference by Brian Goulet as to the current state of brick stores a few years ago. He was acknowledging that online stores had certain financial advantages, *not* that it was his aim to put them out of business, which seemed implied in TaylorPuppy's 'quote'. I don't want to bog down *this* discussion on just a technicality, so I'll just move on from here.
    Jon, I know you want me to engage with you but j just don't feel like it. Go look for some one else to troll. You're just a poor old loser.

Thanks

Jon, I know you want me to engage with you but j just don't feel like it. Go look for some one else to troll. You're just a poor old loser.
    Wow...

Thanks

Did anyone watch Brian and Rachel's video on Pilot (posted on Friday)? It was interesting. They mentioned they were thinking about carrying the Namiki line, but I think that's not such a good idea. They'd be competing with Mottishaw, when Mottishaw will tune your nib and also give you free shipping (because the pens are expensive enough). Goulet doesn't really strike me as competitive for such high-end pens. Visconti is a bit of a different story because Mottishaw doesn't carry the brand (he only seems to sell pens with solid gold nibs).

Actually, I was looking at the Namiki Nippon Art series (that's Namiki's low-end maki-e), and I may buy one in the next few moths. (I said "may" not "will." ) If I do, I'll almost certainly order from Mottishaw because, well, he'd tune the nib for me! I'd consider other sellers only if they offered me a much better deal (and Goulet wouldn't).

(It occurs to me that with all this troll calling, someone might accuse me of being a nibs.com troll. But I swear they didn't pay me anything!!! )

Thanks

S
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post

(It occurs to me that with all this troll calling, someone might accuse me of being a nibs.com troll. But I swear they didn't pay me anything!!! )
    A clever ruse indeed Mr. M., a clever ruse indeed!
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

"Jon, I know you want me to engage with you but j just don't feel like it. Go look for some one else to troll. You're just a poor old loser."

Gotta have the last word, TAYLORPUPPY....
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

somebody, close this thread please

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

SeminarianMike (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Agreed this thread has far surpassed the discussion I intended it needs deleted

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeminarianMike For This Useful Post:

Hawk (February 14th, 2016), TSherbs (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeminarianMike View Post
    Mabe the administrator can close the thread for you.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post

A clever ruse indeed Mr. M., a clever ruse indeed!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Mabe the administrator can close the thread for you.
    Spell much, Dear?

Everyone, I get to tease Hawk with no guilt. After all, he is my husband.
    Last edited by sweetnightingale; February 14th, 2016 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Well, I'm just home from a couple days at the LA Pen Show and, yep, I'm a little poorer (but happy about some new pens!) for the experience. Other than that, well, ok, whatever.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (February 14th, 2016), sweetnightingale (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Jon - Sounds like you enjoyed the show. So, give over! What awesome finds did you run across and take advantage of?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetnightingale For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnightingale View Post
    Jon - Sounds like you enjoyed the show. So, give over! What awesome finds did you run across and take advantage of?
    I drove home this afternoon (not long, about 2 hours) and I'm a little under the weather and have to prep for an early morning rehearsal. I took a lot of pics and will post a full show report in a day or so. Nothing better than being in a room with a billion pens.

How about a teaser: who wouldn't like a pen so big that it carries a smaller pen in a compartment inside the barrel?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 15th, 2016), ethernautrix (February 15th, 2016), Neo (February 15th, 2016), rpsyed (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

No. Let's not go deleting threads with an interesting discussion just because certain posters are emotionally immature. Censor the culprits not the community.
    Last edited by velo; February 14th, 2016 at 11:30 PM.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to velo For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 15th, 2016), fountainpenkid (February 14th, 2016), KKay (February 15th, 2016), Marsilius (February 14th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnightingale View Post
    I drove home this afternoon (not long, about 2 hours) and I'm a little under the weather and have to prep for an early morning rehearsal. I took a lot of pics and will post a full show report in a day or so. Nothing better than being in a room with a billion pens.

How about a teaser: who wouldn't like a pen so big that it carries a smaller pen in a compartment inside the barrel?

Did you get a Bexley Ultra Giant?! Oh man, I've been trying to find even one of the regular Bexley Giants for months and have, sadly, come to the conclusion that it isn't going to happen.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpsyed View Post
    Did you get a Bexley Ultra Giant?! Oh man, I've been trying to find even one of the regular Bexley Giants for months and have, sadly, come to the conclusion that it isn't going to happen.
    Ha! TBH, I didn't even get the name or manufacturer of this pen (it's vintage). The fellow holding it was the person taking Syd Saperstein's place at the Wahl-Eversharp table, and I think he also had pens of his own. I am sorry I was in a rush and did not get his name, but will attempt to before my full report. He held up that big pen, unscrewed the blind cap, and out popped that orange one!

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 15th, 2016), Marsilius (February 14th, 2016), rpsyed (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Ha! TBH, I didn't even get the name or manufacturer of this pen (it's vintage). The fellow holding it was the person taking Syd Saperstein's place at the Wahl-Eversharp table, and I think he also had pens of his own. I am sorry I was in a rush and did not get his name, but will attempt to before my full report. He held up that big pen, unscrewed the blind cap, and out popped that orange one!
    Little baby pens!
    Fortibus es in ero

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 15th, 2016), rpsyed (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Ahh, I see. There's two pens it could be. The Parker Ultra Giant which is super rare, and the ones for sale have been like $20,000+. Parker made a Parker Giant as well, which goes for like $800-$2000. The Parker Giants are a little more common -- I think David Nishimura has one or two for sale on his website.

I think it '90s or early '00s, Bexley made reproduction Bexley Giants and a Bexley Ultra Giant. I think it was a could hundred Bexley Giants made, and 25 Bexley Ultra Giants.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21041/lot/1031/ -- There's a link to a Bexley Ultra Giant auction, it looks like it says Ohio on the imprint so I thought it was the Bexley but I believe a Parker Ultra Giant was once displayed at a pen show.

I'm sure others know much more about both versions of the pen though and can correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: If you scroll down on this page, it looks like Jonathan Steinberg has one for sale ... for $24,500.
    Last edited by rpsyed; February 14th, 2016 at 10:23 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think it '90s or early '00s, Bexley made reproduction Bexley Giants and a Bexley Ultra Giant. I think it was a could hundred Bexley Giants made, and 25 Bexley Ultra Giants.
    Hehe, you win the prize! I just pulled up the image editor and zoomed in...

big_and_little_pens_Bexley.jpg

~ Benjamin Franklin

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (February 14th, 2016), rpsyed (February 14th, 2016)