Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (February 1st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Ink No. 3

Quote Originally Posted by klpeabody View Post
    This is the moment you've all been waiting for, with baited breath.... ;-)

What do you think?
    I didn't guess as I thought (mistakenly) that we were testing current inks. Hasn't Sunset Pink been discontinued?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (February 1st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

I guessed wrong again! Wheeeeee!

It behaved and looked VERY similar to my JH Rouge Bourgogne. Even the chromas were similar, with no second and third-color halo effect.

Nice ink. I love using it. And I still have some left for InCo!

Once again, thanks.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (February 1st, 2015), reprieve (February 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post

What do you think?
    I didn't guess as I thought (mistakenly) that we were testing current inks. Hasn't Sunset Pink been discontinued?

Unfortunately, yes, it has been discontinued. =(
    To me, it didn't seem as popular as Saffron (orange) or Caribbean Sea (aqua/turquoise) but it was a gem.
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

It behaved and looked VERY similar to my JH Rouge Bourgogne. Even the chromas were similar, with no second and third-color halo effect.

Once again, thanks.

Your comparison to Rouge Bourgogne is really interesting! I have thought that JH Rouge Opera seemed similar also. =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

On other matters, there has been a fair amount of noise and bother related to ages. I admit: I pretty much am responsible for starting that ball rolling, but it's waaay into the new century, and I won't stand for any whining - from either sex - about how circumspect they must be about their age. I love you all - you are what you are, and that is more than perfect for me. So, since we're all gathered here, I thought I'd ask:

In other (non-pen) forums I've been a part of, there are frequently "real world" threads. Some of these have been places where people didn't actually sign up to 'be themselves', so having a thread where you post a photo of yourself and talk a bit about your life was more of an... outing of sorts. That said, it really adds some depth to interactions, as long as no one feels compelled to do so.

If enough people say "yeah, that sounds like fun!", I'll start one up. Otherwise, I'll just brew a pot of tea and get back to the raging excitement of guessing a pink ink.
    "yeah, that sounds like fun!"
    We look forward to the time when the power of love will replace the love of power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chojo For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Oh my! I never would have guessed from all the samples. Way cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

It's close to all those mentioned, but not identical to any. While these swabs make Sunset look closest to Turmaline, it's my opinion that in a pen the two are more distinct. Turmaline reads pinker than Sunset, which is darker and has the raspberry red quality that's been noted.

DSC_0875.jpg

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Cob (February 1st, 2015), klpeabody (February 1st, 2015), reprieve (February 1st, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (February 2nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

And it was reprieve who guessed MI3.

Three cheers for reprieve!

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Cob (February 1st, 2015), jde (February 1st, 2015), Jon Szanto (February 1st, 2015), klpeabody (February 2nd, 2015), reprieve (February 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

Once again, thanks.

I guessed wrong too.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I took a wild guess and was still really surprised!

The tip off was two-fold: the description of its raspberry hue described Sunset's complicated red-pink tones perfectly, and several mystery ink testers noted that the ink was a bit dry. Most other reddish pinks (or pinkish reds?) that are this vivid and behave this well tend to flow more generously. Caran d'Ache inks, though, are on the dry side in my experience.

I do happen to love this ink. It's interesting that it garnered some strong reactions. Most people seem to have either loved it or hated it. There weren't many mystery ink testers who said, "meh, it's alright. It's ink. I'll use it."

I think Sunset is fairly well-behaved. Feathering is minimal. It puts down a reliable line and doesn't dry out in the nib. It's saturated but doesn't stain pens. It doesn't require ammonia or pen flush, but cleans up well with plain old water. It's not finicky.

I was a big fan of the Colors of the Earth series. Storm, Caribbean Sea, Sunset, and Grand Canyon were particular favorites of mine. Amazon was good. Saffron was lovely. Blue Sky was nice although I didn't love that one. The only ink in that series that I found to be problematic was Blue Night, which had a terrible tendency to turn into a muddy grey after a few months in the bottle. I was sad when those inks were discontinued.

Does anyone have Caran d'Ache Divine Pink? I wonder how the new ink compares with the old.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 1st, 2015), jde (February 1st, 2015), klpeabody (February 1st, 2015), Laura N (February 2nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

I really like the CDA Sunset ink, but sadly there seems to be no stock anywhere. I would also be interested to know if anyone has compared Sunset with Divine Pink?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I took a wild guess and was still really surprised!

The tip off was two-fold: the description of its raspberry hue described Sunset's complicated red-pink tones perfectly, and several mystery ink testers noted that the ink was a bit dry. Most other reddish pinks (or pinkish reds?) that are this vivid and behave this well tend to flow more generously. Caran d'Ache inks, though, are on the dry side in my experience.

I do happen to love this ink. It's interesting that it garnered some strong reactions. Most people seem to have either loved it or hated it. There weren't many mystery ink testers who said, "meh, it's alright. It's ink. I'll use it."

I think Sunset is fairly well-behaved. Feathering is minimal. It puts down a reliable line and doesn't dry out in the nib. It's saturated but doesn't stain pens. It doesn't require ammonia or pen flush, but cleans up well with plain old water. It's not finicky.

I was a big fan of the Colors of the Earth series. Storm, Caribbean Sea, Sunset, and Grand Canyon were particular favorites of mine. Amazon was good. Saffron was lovely. Blue Sky was nice although I didn't love that one. The only ink in that series that I found to be problematic was Blue Night, which had a terrible tendency to turn into a muddy grey after a few months in the bottle. I was sad when those inks were discontinued.

Does anyone have Caran d'Ache Divine Pink? I wonder how the new ink compares with the old.
    Thank you for your very thorough, and concise, observations about CdA Sunset. It's so funny that the term "raspberry" has been used in this thread, because I don't think it has ever struck me as such until people mentioned it here. Yet, I can see where one might say that. I do agree that it's a love it or hate it ink. I had done a bit of research on this one before I purchased a bottle, trying to find alternatives since it was a bit pricey when it was available. In reading through various threads, it became clear that comments fell on either one side or the other. And, as you've aptly pointed out, the same was true here with mystery ink reviewers: love it or hate it. =)

I was also very disappointed when they discontinued the Colours of the Earth series. I was lucky to stock up on a couple of bottles. I had high hopes that the new CdA Divine Pink would be a nice substitute. I haven't tried it, but did see a post from Leigh Reyes on Instagram (at least I think that's where I saw it), in which she sampled the new pink and the new orange colors in the CdA Chromatics line. She indicated that Divine Pink wasn't the same as Sunset, but a lovely pink in it's own right.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

Laura N (February 2nd, 2015), reprieve (February 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I really like the CDA Sunset ink, but sadly there seems to be no stock anywhere. I would also be interested to know if anyone has compared Sunset with Divine Pink?

The Goulets have a video,the part you want is at 8:30.

http://youtu.be/YhOKZRc3lxA

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 2nd, 2015), klpeabody (February 1st, 2015), reprieve (February 1st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Attachment 16108

What do you think?
    No way!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Is it one of the Edelstein inks?

On other matters, there has been a fair amount of noise and bother related to ages. I admit: I pretty much am responsible for starting that ball rolling, but it's waaay into the new century, and I won't stand for any whining - from either sex - about how circumspect they must be about their age. I love you all - you are what you are, and that is more than perfect for me. So, since we're all gathered here, I thought I'd ask:

In other (non-pen) forums I've been a part of, there are frequently "real world" threads. Some of these have been places where people didn't actually sign up to 'be themselves', so having a thread where you post a photo of yourself and talk a bit about your life was more of an... outing of sorts. That said, it really adds some depth to interactions, as long as no one feels compelled to do so.

If enough people say "yeah, that sounds like fun!", I'll start one up. Otherwise, I'll just brew a pot of tea and get back to the raging excitement of guessing a pink ink.
    Sure, I am in given how many folks are now my friends on IG and FB and see my mug anyway, good, bad, or indifferent. It makes it easier to meet up with fellow geeks at pen shows, too, rather than looking for someone in a blue shirt with a red flower poking out of a first edition Wuthering Heights or something. And if you don't wanna be in the thread, no harm no foul. All good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    Is it one of the Edelstein inks?

Sure, I am in given how many folks are now my friends on IG and FB and see my mug anyway, good, bad, or indifferent. It makes it easier to meet up with fellow geeks at pen shows, too, rather than looking for someone in a blue shirt with a red flower poking out of a first edition Wuthering Heights or something. And if you don't wanna be in the thread, no harm no foul. All good.
    I'm in. I'll post my mug shot.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Ok, FWIW: I've started the thread. Be yourselves if you want to be!

Real Life Me
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 3rd, 2015), klpeabody (February 2nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

If I said I could get some bottles of the old Earth shades for £14 plus P&P would anyone in UK want one? I can't get Storm or Grand Canyon though

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If I said I could get some bottles of the old Earth shades for £14 plus P&P would anyone in UK want one? I can't get Storm or Grand Canyon though
    I'd be up for a bottle of Caribbean Sea & Saffron :-)