Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxes (not cigar boxes) repurposed for pen, ink, paraphernalia storage

Thanks

Default Re: Boxes (not cigar boxes) repurposed for pen, ink, paraphernalia storage

Quote Originally Posted by Nomdeplume View Post
    Just ordered the Harbor Tool Chest and some inserts...my next project, inspired by all this creativity!
    Cool - can't wait to see the results once you have it all fitted out! (Probably too bulky to bring to our next pen posse for show and tell, huh?)

Holly

Thanks

Default The box that Michael built

Earlier this month I received the modified Ryman's Art Supply box that Michael - my63 - modified for me; he had mentioned this box in posts #9 & 11 in this thread. Since it already had a place in this thread, I thought I would add some photos of it. Michael installed American Madrone/Madrona veneer on the exterior of the box and used fumed oak veneer for the interior of the lid. (For those that want to know, fumed oak is a process by which oak is "antiqued" by exposing it to ammonia fumes; the result is a similar patina to that that ancient bog oak obtains after years of being exposed to the chemicals in the bogs.) The pen cradles were made from wood molding covered with nice chocolate brown leather; the top and bottom trays have slightly different leathers on them - different textures. The top compartment holds 16 pens and the bottom compartment holds 20 pens. I don't have near enough pens to fill this box, let alone the other two storage boxes I also have, so I have plenty of room for expansion now, just no money to buy the pens. Time will hopefully change that!

This is what the box started out as (these are Michael's photos):

8444516460_c5b5ded278_z.jpg

8444514920_4f29f07817_z.jpg

Here is the reconfigured and modified box I received:

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

With some of my pens in place:

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

It is absolutely beautiful, in my opinion, and I am thrilled with it. Earlier in this thread Michael commented that he hoped I would like it. I not only like it, I love it. I thank Michael for sharing his skill and craftsmanship with me and wanted to share it with everyone else here as well, if only through pictures.

Holly

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OakIris For This Useful Post:

Ed333 (January 8th, 2014), kia (January 5th, 2014), KrazyIvan (June 25th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Default Re: Boxes (not cigar boxes) repurposed for pen, ink, paraphernalia storage

It was a pleasure to make it for you Holly believe it or not the leather is all from one hide I matched the smaller grain for the top section and the larger grain for the bottom section.
    I hope it serves you for many years.
    regards
    Michael

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MY63 View Post
    It was a pleasure to make it for you Holly believe it or not the leather is all from one hide I matched the smaller grain for the top section and the larger grain for the bottom section.
    I hope it serves you for many years.
    regards
    Michael
    I wondered about the leather - thank you for the info. The pen storage box will definitely last for years - for my lifetime anyway, and long after that, too....

Holly

Thanks

Such good ideas in this thread!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

I just spent a marathon 8 hours assembling my new pen storage boxes.

Now all I need is a floor. HAHAHAHAHAHA. I was tempted to buy the flooring first but I need someplace for my pens RIGHT NOW!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

Goldfish (December 3rd, 2013), Jon Szanto (January 4th, 2014), kaisnowbird (December 1st, 2013), KrazyIvan (December 2nd, 2013), Tracy Lee (December 2nd, 2013)

Thanks

Very, very nice, 00Photo. Where did you get the cabinets? And who cares about the flooring as long as your pens are happy.

Now for photos of some of the drawers open and populated by pens......please.

Holly

Junior Member MechanicalAnalogy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    I just spent a marathon 8 hours assembling my new pen storage boxes.

Now all I need is a floor. HAHAHAHAHAHA. I was tempted to buy the flooring first but I need someplace for my pens RIGHT NOW!

Holy epic storage unit! You built this? Wow

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Went antique shop hopping today. Specifically hunting for fountain pens and got some good leads on shops that get them in regularly but did not have any at the moment. One of the shop yielded these two boxes. The one in the front I will use for index card storage and looks to be from a pharmaceutical company from the 30's. The one in the rear can fit a few ink bottles on the top and the bottom drawer should be able to fit 5 or 6 pens after I'm done.

Two of my antique finds. The box on the back its perfect for ink bottles on the top with some storage below for related #fountainpen paraphernalia. The smaller box is for 3x5 index cards. Looks to be from a pharmacist. by IvanRomero, on Flickr
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them