Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turquoise...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Turquoise...

Vanness also ships worldwide if you're willing to wait....their samples are larger (4 ml)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Does Goulet Pens still ship ink samples worldwide too? Back in the day I used to receive them monthly in a bubble mailer.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Does Goulet Pens still ship ink samples worldwide too? Back in the day I used to receive them monthly in a bubble mailer.
    I believe they do. But because of COVID-19, they take orders and will ship them whenever it's safe

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I believe they do. But because of COVID-19, they take orders and will ship them whenever it's safe
    Side note:
    At least here in Austria the post offices do not take packages and letters for many international countries anymore.
    The big private parcel services still do ship (at a premium price of course ).

Personal Note:
    At least I think that we should reconsider our attitude regarding globalization after the crisis.
    Transportation is way too cheap (for industrial goods) we should focus more to produce at least the essential things on the same continent.
    I hope that the „Scrooge is horny“ mentality will be a obsolescent model in the future (which only led to miserable shifts of production to Far East).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    ...the „Scrooge is horny“ mentality....
    I'll have do a bit of research on that phrase!

Thanks

Side note:
    At least here in Austria the post offices do not take packages and letters for many international countries anymore.
    The big private parcel services still do ship (at a premium price of course ).

Personal Note:
    At least I think that we should reconsider our attitude regarding globalization after the crisis.
    Transportation is way too cheap (for industrial goods) we should focus more to produce at least the essential things on the same continent.
    I hope that the „Scrooge is horny“ mentality will be a obsolescent model in the future (which only led to miserable shifts of production to Far East).
    I do agree, but I wonder if we have the ability to learn or change...... I personally can live with Noodler's inks only.... but I'm not sure many can do here in North America....Grass is always greener

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...the „Scrooge is horny“ mentality....
    I'll have do a bit of research on that phrase!
    I tired a quick research... I came upon site of what the dickens nature, not related to Scrooge, inks or fountain pen...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I can imagine!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Got it! Die 'Geiz ist geil' Mentalität or the "avarice is cool" mentality.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Was not sure how to translate „Geiz ist Geil“ to English.

My comment was not related to goods like ink.
    I also enjoy inks from all over the world (and will do also in the future).

It was more related to the big companies which moved their production to wherever the production is cheapest (but sell at a price as it would still be made in western countries)
    In my opinion, this should be stopped.

E.g. in former times Germany was the „Apothecary Cabinet“ of Europe, now almost all of the big Pharmacy companies produce in Far East.
    Also most of the now needed health protective equipment (which is not available at the needed quantities) comes from China, we are dependent from imports of another continent.

I also think we neither really need cheapest textiles nor other poor quality goods from China, just to follow the „Geiz ist Geil“ Dogma.

But also major and luxury brands produce in Far East and sell for a premium in the industry countries (produced cheapest under bad labor and environmental conditions).
    No matter if they are named, Nike, Rebook, Levis, Addidas, Puma, Weber Stephen, Apple,........ only to name some.... “engineered/designed in ..... produced in China“

I‘m not talking about nationalism, I just think that at least essential products should mainly be produced on the continent where they will be consumed (for environmental, Labor, security and social reasons).

But maybe quantity based customs duties for cross continental imports would be a solution.
    Smaller business/specialized products would not (or only little) be affected but the big players would be forced to produce locally on the same continent and under „fair“ conditions again.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; March 28th, 2020 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I agree with all you say but surely this should be in Politics, Religion and Society.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm looking to branch out from the usual blacks and go for something more unique.
    Turquoise.
    Many of us are self-isolated or under quarantine, so we're getting a little punchy.

Thanks

One thing to remember is import charges - don't forget the OP is in San Marino so anything from outside of Europe and the UK (for now) will be hit by a VAT payment and a possible duty charge, including on the P&P. Also minimum free postage charges tend to boost the prices (and let's be honest most if not all of us spend more making an order up to minimum for free postage than we would just buying the original item ...)

Thanks

Is San Marino not treated as part of the EU for goods?

Thanks

It is but around half the stores mentioned are in the USA (Vannesse, Goulet, Andersons)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
    It is but around half the stores mentioned are in the USA (Vannesse, Goulet, Andersons)
    True, but on the US Customs Duty forms there is a section to "check mark" samples, which usually aren't VAT taxed. As long as the OP doesn't order anything other than ink samples, they may be VAT exempt ( I hope.) Ink samples I send to my penpals overseas (anywhere from 5 or more vials) haven't been taxed.

All the Best.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    True, but on the US Customs Duty forms there is a section to "check mark" samples, which usually aren't VAT taxed. As long as the OP doesn't order anything other than ink samples, they may be VAT exempt ( I hope.) Ink samples I send to my penpals overseas (anywhere from 5 or more vials) haven't been taxed.

All the Best.
    Doesn't work that way in the UK and Europe. Anything over a certain value, which is small - £13, so probably €15 gets taxed regardless (minimum limit is increased for gifts and further if you're bringing it in to your country yourself). Some countries are more lax than others, but they are getting tighter.

Thanks

All the Best.
    Doesn't work that way in the UK and Europe. Anything over a certain value, which is small - £13, so probably €15 gets taxed regardless (minimum limit is increased for gifts and further if you're bringing it in to your country yourself). Some countries are more lax than others, but they are getting tighter.
    What junglejim has said is true. A bubble mailer full of samples won't amount to a value of more than £15 including USPS 1st Class International postage. I never once got charged for any of the Goulet's InkDrop packets that came every month, and I've never been charged for any from James or azkid. I've had 5 samples in one packet many times.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 29th, 2020 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks

All the Best.
    What junglejim has said is true. A bubble mailer full of samples won't amount to a value of more than £15 including USPS 1st Class International postage. I never once got charged for any of the Goulet's InkDrop packets that came every month, and I've never been charged for any from James or azkid. I've had 5 samples in one packet many times.
    It would be most ironic to order European ink samples from an American online store and then be taxed for them

I wonder if Europeans would be taxed if they order from Canada.... I know there's a free trade agreement between the two entities.....
    I have bought regularly from fountainfeder. Never been taxed. Plus I get my inks faster than if I order them from US.....

Anyway you can order from Wonderpens.....I know they ship worldwide. Small company very good service...
    Note the sample bottles are small in size but same volume (2 ml)...

Thanks

That's fine if your order is below £15 and you're not bothered about postage - not compared prices but I would not be surprised if the same inks from Pure Pens or The Writing Desk (or the German place mentioned) will still work out cheaper to some one in San Marino.

Thanks

It would be most ironic to order European ink samples from an American online store and then be taxed for them

I wonder if Europeans would be taxed if they order from Canada.... I know there's a free trade agreement between the two entities.....
    I have bought regularly from fountainfeder. Never been taxed. Plus I get my inks faster than if I order them from US.....

Anyway you can order from Wonderpens.....I know they ship worldwide. Small company very good service...
    Note the sample bottles are small in size but same volume (2 ml)...
    Yes - doesn't matter where the original items are sourced from, it's the country you purchase them from that counts. Hit the tax point (£15) and the cost initally rockets as you also have a handling charge applied, which tends to be between £8 (only Royal Mail) to £10 (most the others).

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 29th, 2020)