Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions for modern "nails"?

Thanks

Default Any suggestions for modern "nails"?

I know flex is in fashion, but for everyday writing on cheap paper (I use my pens for work and write a *lot*) I prefer stiff nibs, even though I'm a low pressure writer - I can feel the springiness in a delicate nib and find it distracting. I love Sheaffer Triumph nibs, but now I'm looking for modern pens that take cartridges (I like to syringe fill enough for several weeks and just get on with things.)

So if anyone can suggestion any modern cartridge converter nails, preferably cheaper rather than not and with nibs between Pilot Metro fine and medium, I'd appreciate it. I've already found the Baoer 100, but I'd like some more options.

Thanks!

(Question - is the Plaisir nib stiffer than Pilot ones? And I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used the Kaco Edge or Skyline.)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Any suggestions for modern "nails"?

Fascinating question, I'll have to think about some of my modern pens. I, too, love Sheaffer nails, especially the big, thick nibs from the 1920s. It will be interesting to read the responses.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Chinese pens, especially hooded ones. Sailor school line rocks some stiff nibs as well.

Thanks

Sheaffer Taranis (if you can find them) and Steadtler Lignum (current favourite daily carry for work)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    Chinese pens, especially hooded ones. Sailor school line rocks some stiff nibs as well.
    The only problem is that on at least some of the cheap(er) pens, the quality of the steel is so poor that it is very easy to bend. Very.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I was thinking to higher end models, like Hero 100, Wing Sung 618 and 601 or Moonman 80 - although the list is longer, just think of all the high quality PenBBS offerings with open nibs!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

You could take a look at the Cross Apogee, imo a very nice modern nail pen.

Show_response_1059 by Ptero Pterodactylus

Cross Apogee Brushed Chrome - M ..... Diamine Sapphire Blue)
    (Serwex MB - flex EMF ..... ESS Registrars Blue/Black)

A workhorse option for small money would be a Parker Vector, also already almost a classical pen which is still available.

Show_response_365 by Ptero Pterodactylus

(Parker Vector M)

Or maybe a Youngtimer like a Montblanc Noblesse, they are not really expensive, have excellent materials and building quality and are also stiff as a pen can be.

Quote 010 by Ptero Pterodactylus

(Montblanc Noblesse 1122 - M ..... Pelikan 4001 Türkis)

A Parker 45 might also fit the bill, very good pens and really cheap to get.

Show_response_341 by Ptero Pterodactylus

(Parker 45 Flighter FP and BP)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 19th, 2018), Robert (December 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    I love Sheaffer Triumph nibs, but now I'm looking for modern pens that take cartridges (I like to syringe fill enough for several weeks and just get on with things.)
    Since you like Sheaffer, get the "modern"-ish Imperial family with inlaid nibs (model 550 for example). Some of these are Touchdown, but a lot of them accept modern Sheaffer cartridges. And these nibs especially the 14K ones are very firm, but nice, just like vintage Sheaffer nibs.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

From my perspective almost every modern c/c pen out there is typically a nail, even a Noodler's with a "flex" nib because of the extreme amount of pressure required to make it flex.

And nearly every vintage Parker capable of cartridges (such as the Parker 45) has been a nail for me, the 45, 51, 75, etc Though did have one 45 that had a springy 14k fine nib (most of their gold nibs weren't springy).

I haven't touched a modern Sheaffer though. (I think the newest Sheaffer I had access to was one of those 60s school pens). My favorite modern nails have been my Aurora Afrika LE with an 18K nib, and the Pelikan M640 SE with a 18K Medium. As most of the other modern ones might have a very tiny amount of bounce in comparison.

Thanks

How about a Waterman Hemisphere? A nail of a nib if there ever was one, and they can be had used for not too much. Or for that matter, a Waterman Expert can be had for under $60 on Amazon if you’re patient and not picky about color.

That said, if I want a nail in the nib-width you’re describing, I’d still take the M Metro over anything else non-vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I was thinking of pens like a Parker 45 and a Waterman Hemisphere, but there are modern Sheaffer cartridge pens available and cheaper used ones can be found on ebay. You could easily pick up a nice Targa or Imperial type on there.
    Or there's the Lamy Safari, Nexx or Al-Star.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Or there's the Lamy Safari, Nexx or Al-Star.
    These are excellent nails!

Thanks

There are some really great suggestions here!

- Those Montblancs are very interesting: I'd always had them down as having soft nibs, I don't know why.

- Sheaffer 550s seem a little expensive for what you get. I like to keep work pens at the sort of price where I can afford to lose them. And I need three of them. Ditto the Cross options.

- The Vector metal grip is a problem for me - I usually find them slippery if not lacquered. I did grab a Baoer 801 on ebay yesterday because they're so crazy cheap - they're a Vector-ish pen with, in my case, a hooded 0.38mm nib. About $1.50

- The P45 was my front runner before I found the Baoer 100 (which is a CC filling brass and laquer hooded nib pen.) I tried a Moonman 80 and the nib was a disaster, which seems common with them.

- P51 type pens never feel right to me. The nibs feel like felt tips (to me) and the body shape is subtly wrong for my tastes. I keep wondering if the flighter body would feel better: I might try a Jinhao 911.

- The Lamys - I can't take the grip on the Safari, and my experience is that Lamy EF nibs are broader than I like and not as smooth as the Chinese nibs of the same width - I think Lamys really come into their own for people who want broad nib options

- The PenBBS pens: I had no idea what their nibs were like - I can add them to the list now, thanks!

- Targas are nice and are at the top of my list with the P45 for back-up options if the B100's don't work out. Or if my neurotic "I can feel the nib" thing with the Pilot F doesn't go away with using it more.
    Last edited by ilikenails; December 19th, 2018 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks

Hello likenails,

I like nails too, but enjoy softer nibs as well. How about a Parker 51, if they fit your criteria as modern? They aren't current, but US & Canadian 51s have nail-like nibs, and F & EF nibs are right common. My experience with UK 51s is that their nibs are far softer and considerably wider. They are great writers, but won't suit your needs. For a very economical nail, I suggest the first or second generation Sheaffer No Nonsense, the ones with single-piece sections. Their nibs are reliable and comfortable nails. Happy hunting.

Have really enjoyed the handwriting examples in this thread. They are beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry B. Gabay; December 19th, 2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: more info

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    Hello likenails,

I like nails too, but enjoy softer nibs as well. How about a Parker 51, if they fit your criteria as modern? They aren't current, but US & Canadian 51s have nail-like nibs, and F & EF nibs are right common. My experience with UK 51s is that their nibs are far softer and considerably wider. They are great writers, but won't suit your needs. For a very economical nail, I suggest the first or second generation Sheaffer No Nonsense, the ones with single-piece sections. Their nibs are reliable and comfortable nails. Happy hunting.

Have really enjoyed the handwriting examples in this thread. They are beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Ilikenails is looking for a modern nail that takes cartridges and although I think I've heard of modern Parker 51's that use a converter or cartridge filling system, they are particularly rare and expensive beasts indeed.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    Hello likenails,

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Ilikenails is looking for a modern nail that takes cartridges and although I think I've heard of modern Parker 51's that use a converter or cartridge filling system, they are particularly rare and expensive beasts indeed.
    The Jinhao 911 seems like the major exception to this rule - if you accept it as a P51.

The No Nonsense pen sounds like a good one to add to the list.

Thanks

I'll throw in the Moonman M100, which sports a schmidt fine nib. Really well made in beautiful colors. The nib is very stiff. The thicker lines in the image below are mostly from heavier ink flow than actual spreading of the tines, but it does move a bit.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 19th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Faber Castell steel nibs literally (and I don't mean that figuratively) feel like nails to me - and I've used a 16d to scribble down measurements.

Thanks

Chrissy: Thank you for correcting me. Once again, I was asleep at the keyboard.

ilikenails: The Jinhao 911 and Wingsung 612 are very moderately priced 51-like pens. You can find No Nonsense fountain pens for just a couple of bucks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Have you considered one of the less expensive Sailors with a steel nib like the Lecoule or the Shikiori? I've heard good things about them, and have been tempted to buy one or two. May yet.

Last edited by calamus; December 19th, 2018 at 04:00 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)