Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Change of Perspective.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default A Change of Perspective.

As some of you may have realised now, although I have often started threads on subjects that I think may be of interest to others and will likely generate site traffic, they do not always represent my personal position. On the other hand perhaps nobody noticed?

I mention this here because I don't want the next thing I say to be misinterpreted as yet another change of perspective on my part. (One can only hope!)

My actual position is such that although I do have an interest in fountain pens - especially writing with them - I am not drawn to the world of repair/restoration (and have so far little need to be so drawn), nor to the more clearly defined areas that a pure collector would take (and I have no objection or negative thoughts for those that do).

When we return from the trip to the UK I am considering expanding the small sampling of pens I have. There are some problems with this though.

1. There aren't many new pens that grab my attention enough to take the plunge. To be fair, I will get to try in the hand quite a few while in Singapore (on part of the trip), but really the sample size is likely to be small (in terms of what I may buy) and limited to trying a modern Aurora (88 or Optima), the Pelikan 600/800/1000 for fit only, and anything in urushi just to get an idea of what it feels like (I have a fave Nakaya model but I'm not paying that much for a sub $100 nib - my opinion only of course).

2. I'd like to see a modern higher quality ebonite pen (ideally an Eboya) to see if there really is any subjective difference between it and an Indian ebonite pen (I know, some may say that is outrageous to suggest, but until I have it in my hand I won't know for certain).

Those are small problems that will be easily addressed on the trip. Larger problems abound when I consider the few vintage pens I may like to own.

I struggle for a market. This is probably the biggest issue. eBay is an awful place in my experience, and pen shows are beyond my reach. I am signed up for Gary Lehrer's site, but usually the link goes out well before I get any chance to access it and most of what I'm interested in (if it is on his list) is usually gone by then. Other vintage pen sites - with no disrespect to the owners - are often significantly limited in their stock. Considering the volumes of pens traded at shows and so on I have to assume that there is a large offline community (or resource pool) that I have no access to.

At this point I don't have a firm idea of what I may be chasing but the following are kinda in my sights:

1. A Waterman's 94 in Steel Quartz (any original nib) or Mahogany - I have put out a request for this but have had zero response here or on Pentrace.
    2. An Eversharp Skyline in black with the green striped cap. I've not seen a decent example of this for over a year (on eBay). Again, not looking for a flex nib.
    3. A Parker Duofold in sea foam green. Never seen a good example.
    4. An Aurora 88P in good condition. These crop up from time to time, but with limited confidence in eBay sellers I've been reluctant to go for one.
    5. A Sheaffer Balance in marine green - a big one.

As you can see, this is not a big list, though it may be a little pricey to do in one go.

While these are likely to be much easier to find for our US friends (correct me if I am wrong on this), the difficulty is a whole magnitude larger for those of us in distant and isolated lands.

What I am hoping for here is at the very least to start some conversations going. If this leads to a small network of people whose opinions I trust then perhaps some small pen dreams may be realised. It may also be a great help if some of the better eBay sellers were unmasked (perhaps back channel), because I have no idea who anyone is and there are certain sellers I avoid like the plague when they may actually be reputable (unknown to me).

Anywho, there it is. I am asking the community for some help. I don't expect any quick resolutions to any of this, and I am quite prepared to take the time to build those relationships.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; July 7th, 2019 at 04:49 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: A Change of Perspective.

Nothing on the web is bullet proof, even the FPG forum has recently had it's frauds and less happy buyers. The closest thing is a trusted seller with a good reputation that will let you return a purchase. It all comes with a bit of back and forth in the mail. There are a few trusted sellers on ebay, and I don't disregard them completely. Some sell used, but restored pens, others mint collectors items at various prices. The random seller will have varying quality and fix up projects, as you well know. A gem turns up now and then. Maybe there are repair services you can use if you find a good fix up pen? Ideally we should have a good pen store in every medium sized city, I don't think that will ever happen again. If a pen show turns up locally, I would attend.

For your situation I don't think there are any straight forward solution. Like you mention, it all comes down to qualities you are looking, mabye something new to discover. It all involves a bit of search, testing and trying. Keep your favorite pen and cherish it :- )

The pens you list will turn up, it's all a question of time, energy and money. I guess all the forums and blogs was originally started to form a social network related to pens, maybe there are too many individuals involved to establish closer groups of friendships.
    Last edited by arrow; July 7th, 2019 at 05:22 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

Gobblecup (July 12th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,129 Posts

You could try Paolo at Zona900.com for the Aurora 88P.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Gobblecup (July 12th, 2019)

Thanks

I'm in the same situation: stuck at the bottom of the world with limited access to vintage...

The Melbourne pen show is the closest that apparently has a good range of vintage pens. I'm considering a trip to see how extensive that is, but I suspect it won't hold a candle to what is on offer in the US or EU.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 18th, 2020)

Thanks

@arrow, totally agree. Will have to settle for long waits.

@catbert, thanks. Forgot about that site. There's a couple on there now but I won't be able to act until after the holiday is done.

@silverlifter, indeed. That is why I mention the US in the OP (though I suspect a lot of US members are perhaps a little unaware of the extent of the vintage pen desert we inhabit over here).

Thanks

In the event that a modern ebonite pen does not float my boat, then a vintage woodgrain version would be a most suitable substitution. I wonder if I can prevail on Will. G. to keep an eye out for something? I've watched his site with keen interest for a long time now - he is one of the sellers I feel confident of (though I've yet to purchase from) -and I trust in his attention to detail in getting an old pen up and running properly. Will, the Unic might work for me if it posts securely (a bit too short if it doesn't).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    In the event that a modern ebonite pen does not float my boat, then a vintage woodgrain version would be a most suitable substitution. I wonder if I can prevail on Will. G. to keep an eye out for something? I've watched his site with keen interest for a long time now - he is one of the sellers I feel confident of (though I've yet to purchase from) -and I trust in his attention to detail in getting an old pen up and running properly. Will, the Unic might work for me if it posts securely (a bit too short if it doesn't).
    David, if you're interested in one of my pens, feel free to contact me a via my email redeempens at gmail (actually you've done so in the past). I don't always read every post here on FPG so I could have missed this one.

I have to double check if the UNIC is still available. I remember I sold something like that recently. Also, the UNIC does post, but I wouldn't count on it for long term use, the cap lip is quite thin, and a crack may develop sooner or later. This is not to say that vintage pens are necessarily more fragile than modern ones, but is almost a century old object after all.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (July 8th, 2019), Empty_of_Clouds (July 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    +1 for Will. Good ol' Penwash has a fascinating collection of pens for procurement.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (July 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks, Will, I do keep a keen eye on your page.

Thanks

BUMP

Thanks

Darn!

Missed a nice looking Good Service Pen in woodgrain that went for about $120. Unfortunately I was in surgery and unable to keep abreast of the auction.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; July 15th, 2019 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks

Sent you a DM

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (July 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Bump.

Still looking for some help.

Thanks

As always, any helpful hints, suggestions, links or connections, are welcome.

BUMP

Thanks

GREAT DESIRED LIST OF PENS YOU HAVE THERE...............I DO NOT OWN A WTRMN 94, BUT DO OWN THE OTHERS (DUOFOLD FOAM GREEN OR SHEAFFER, CAN'T REMEMBER BUT OWN A BUNCH OF DUOFOLD'S)[/COLOR][/B] THE VARIOUS COLRS YOU WANT BEING PRETTY OLD ARE HARD TO FIND IF NOT RARE W/OUT STAINING AND YET STILL ARE PRICEY AT PRESENT VS 20 YRS AGO

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR QUEST....................
    [/COLOR][/B][/B][/B]
    Last edited by wingwiper; July 28th, 2019 at 12:23 PM.
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

As always, any helpful hints, suggestions, links or connections, are welcome.

BUMP

Thanks

I wonder if I should just stick with modern shop bought pens?

Thanks

Concerning the Aurora 88P your best bet is Zona900, but do not look to the pens on the website, just ask Paolo a quote for a well maintained one (if you like specify also the type of nib you prefer). Aurora 88 are so easy to found in Italy that Paolo should certainly have some.

Alfredo

Thanks

I am in the same position.
    I hear tale told of the marvels of "Vintage Flex Pens", but never see any.
    None in real life anyhow.
    So I've stuck with working with what's available, mostly building my own.
    I've been called everything you can think of for not buying a "Vintage flex pen" by most.
    It still doesn't change the fact that most of the things people talk about, there's really no viable means of ever trying them out.
    There are no fountain pen shops with them, there are no pen shows anymore, there are no people to see/visit/contact to try them out.
    The only option is to either ignore it all...or buy something sight unseen....which is stupidly risky in today's garbage scam-filled society.
    No way in...and no way out.

Love everything but this about fountain pens...Ballpoints may be the safer and less costly option.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

I have a Parker Duofold from the 40's. It was my grandfather's.

The nibs is very different from today's nibs. It is 14K gold, but rather thin - which makes it flexible, it feels fragile and it is not a smooth writer - it has some tooth.

It's certainly not like any modern nib I have - or the nib on the Parker 51. I have to write slowly with it.

I'm not trying to say it is a terrible pen - but it certainly is a different writing experience than with a modern pen.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 13th, 2020)