Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The perennial dilemma - which pen?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

Default Re: The perennial dilemma - which pen?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Just to address some of the suggestions:

@christof - for a long time I was really keen to get a Centennial in Jasper, but they are quite uncommon and subsequently very expensive. And have that ring on the section (no idea when pen designers think this is a good idea, unless the user is only going to use cartridges).
    Well, the gold plated ring at the front part of the section wouldn't be my choice either, but lots of pen manufacturer choosed this feature. In fact, I can only see a problem with it, when your section is inky and you're not willing to keep this part (and the inner cap of course ) clean. For my part, I usually keep my pens and caps clead and had never a problem with any of these gold plated rings on any pen.
    But that's just me.... in any case, the gold plated ring does not hinder me to keep my Duofold for my little daughter as a graduation gift in 2027.

Thanks

* Gary Lehrer is the only name that springs to mind. Unfortunately by the time I get the catalogues the listing has already been picked over.[/QUOTE]

If you spring for the subscription, which is very reasonably priced, you get first crack at the catalogues, days before they open to the public. No affiliation - I subscribe and have found it well worth it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to empliau For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Corrosion on plated trim rings is inevitable. When the pen is inked, there will be moisture under the cap no matter how fastidious one may be. Even one of my rarely used pens succumbed to trim ring corrosion after about 25 years. I don’t think i used the pen more than once or twice. (I didn’t like the nib & there were other problems with the pen that kept me from selling it). In other words, even laying the pen aside will only delay the inevitable.

Section trim rings are just a bad idea. EoC is wise to avoid them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks

as already said, I don‘t think that the front part of the section is the best place to mount a trim ring, but my Duofold is about 30 years old and the ring is still ok, not like new, but ok. So if you like the Duofolds as I do, this trim ring should not be the only reason to decide against. These pens are too good...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks

...Never thought I'd feel this way if I was put in a situation of financial advantage...
    would be the same with me.

I only spend lots of money for the collection, not for user pens, since I already have plenty of them and am using them for years without changing.
    (If I didn't collect, I wouldn't even be here...)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 26th, 2021), penwash (August 26th, 2021)

Thanks

I went through this process back in July. Pelikan m1000, Visconti Homo Sapiens, etc.

I now use my Pilot Custom Urushi every day, but... to each their own.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Okay, first task complete - just ordered a new ebonite feed for my Pilot 912 FA. Hopefully that will render it a more useable pen.

Now considering a Kaigelu 316 or Moonman M600s to get that Duofold experience without the cost. In the cart but not yet hit the buy button.
    I like my 600s a lot. But the nib is only average. But the price makes up for a lot for me.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Into the second month of the new year and I am still wallowing around at square one! The Visconti, while very attractive to me... well, let's say the history of the company's QC is giving me chilblains in my toes. So, going to shelve that for now. Shame really because the material on the lava pens is incredibly seductive. If I could be certain of the QC of the nibs and the longevity of their new magnetic closure (there's a discussion about this on the other site that I recently stumbled across) this would be a no-brainer. Without that confidence... too much risk.

What's left? Nothing really. A suitably priced/featured 149 never really appeared - I suspect they're out there, but I also suspect there is a degree of reluctance in the community to sell to me. Not talking about ebay, I don't go there for anything other than new stuff these days.

I also look at all the flashy new pens/designs of the last few months. Endless variations on themes by Leonardo - each an identical pen beyond the materials - or endless offerings sporting run of the mill Jowo nibs. FC are out of the picture too: I've had five of their pens, three needed new parts. I am not impressed. They will never have my business again. Maiora, Edison, Leonardo, and on and on. Simple plastic tubes with cookie cutter steel nibs, unless you want to pay a premium for a gold cookie cutter.

Someone earlier suggested thinking about the characteristics of a new pen that would appeal. That's a tricky question, but I have thought about it quite a lot. My most fun nib is an #10 FA. Not the most practical, just the most fun for me. If I could find a more practical nib with a similar bouncy feel I could probably go for that, which makes me wonder about the Pilot soft nibs in general. Pilot is the only Japanese pen brand I've bought. Sailor and Platinum are mainly built for small hands, even their supposedly larger models are usually only thicker from what I've seen/handled. I cannot justify getting such tiny pens only to try the nibs and so they are dismissed from my decision. Pilot however seem to make larger pens. Kind of an oddity considering.

Oh, and whatever choice I end up making (if) the pen has to be modern. I don't find vintage pens to have any specific operational advantages over new pens, and as we have seen, in general aesthetics are usually not a great draw (the Visconti lava aside).

Not losing sleep over this, the occasional brain dump is needed to clear space!
    Can you find a pre-owned Visconti (pre-magnetic closure) and have it go directly to a nibmeister for QC?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Can you find a pre-owned Visconti (pre-magnetic closure) and have it go directly to a nibmeister for QC?
    It would be great if that was possible...... Visconti isn't a brand I know at all.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Into the second month of the new year and I am still wallowing around at square one! The Visconti, while very attractive to me... well, let's say the history of the company's QC is giving me chilblains in my toes. So, going to shelve that for now. Shame really because the material on the lava pens is incredibly seductive. If I could be certain of the QC of the nibs and the longevity of their new magnetic closure (there's a discussion about this on the other site that I recently stumbled across) this would be a no-brainer. Without that confidence... too much risk.

What's left? Nothing really. A suitably priced/featured 149 never really appeared - I suspect they're out there, but I also suspect there is a degree of reluctance in the community to sell to me. Not talking about ebay, I don't go there for anything other than new stuff these days.

I also look at all the flashy new pens/designs of the last few months. Endless variations on themes by Leonardo - each an identical pen beyond the materials - or endless offerings sporting run of the mill Jowo nibs. FC are out of the picture too: I've had five of their pens, three needed new parts. I am not impressed. They will never have my business again. Maiora, Edison, Leonardo, and on and on. Simple plastic tubes with cookie cutter steel nibs, unless you want to pay a premium for a gold cookie cutter.

Someone earlier suggested thinking about the characteristics of a new pen that would appeal. That's a tricky question, but I have thought about it quite a lot. My most fun nib is an #10 FA. Not the most practical, just the most fun for me. If I could find a more practical nib with a similar bouncy feel I could probably go for that, which makes me wonder about the Pilot soft nibs in general. Pilot is the only Japanese pen brand I've bought. Sailor and Platinum are mainly built for small hands, even their supposedly larger models are usually only thicker from what I've seen/handled. I cannot justify getting such tiny pens only to try the nibs and so they are dismissed from my decision. Pilot however seem to make larger pens. Kind of an oddity considering.

Oh, and whatever choice I end up making (if) the pen has to be modern. I don't find vintage pens to have any specific operational advantages over new pens, and as we have seen, in general aesthetics are usually not a great draw (the Visconti lava aside).

Not losing sleep over this, the occasional brain dump is needed to clear space!
    RE: Sailor and Platinum. Not sure where you got this idea. Here's a quick phone-snap of a Sailor 1911L, Platinum 3776, Montblanc 146 and Pilot 91 (excuse the dust...). They're similarly sized, and a 146 isn't normally considered a pen for small hands.

IMG_1269.jpeg

A Sailor certainly doesn't have a "bouncy" nib, but Platinum's soft versions are.

You mentioned a 146 earlier, and the 80's-90's with gray window and split ebonite feed can be had for reasonable prices.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (April 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

So your hands are a little larger than mine, comparing from the pic; but a lot of it is simply personal preference. How that 823 fits in your hand wouldn't be an issue for me, and actually I dislike posted pens that extend significantly past the web of the thumb. I dislike posted pens in general though... I have no issue with shorter pens, even when they extend only to the web (Pelikan M300, Omas Dama, Kaweco Sport); although I wouldn't want to write an essay like that. Point again is simply personal preference, and often we never know what "works" before trying.

You mentioned a 146 earlier. If you think an 823 is too small, then it stands to reason you would also find that to be the case with a 146 (or 1911L, or 3776, etc...). A 149 isn't much longer - just girthier (is that a word? lol). The size of the nib is why I got rid of my 149, and it seemed to place my hand too far above the paper.

So one thing that I think is missing from your posts is a more clear description of what you do and don't like about the pens you have. You find the 823 "oddly weighted" when posted, for example. Can you describe that? A 146 has a weight bias to the piston mechanism, for example. One might like their Lamy 2k, but find the metal version too heavy (or the makrolon version too light).
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your lab results. I hope it is something that can be improved or at least managed. Be well.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,132 Posts

These ideas swirl around in my head: what is the ideal shape/size of pen? what nib do I prefer? Do I have a preference in filling systems? How much of my choice is influenced by others [I am very easily influenced by others. Probably because I have no clear idea of what I want myself]. Can I justify the expense, even though most of what I look at is affordable now? And on and on.
    This is why we have more than one pen.

Edit: Today though I just received some lab reports that indicate a downward turn in my health. This is somewhat scary and a little depressing. In talking to my wife at some length I realised that my priority now has to be this and not pens. I may just grab another 912 with a soft nib (bit more practical than the FA) and call it a day. There's only so many things that I can give attention to, and something has to give. Let it be this.
    Sorry to hear this. You're right — there are more important things than pens. Be well.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,132 Posts

Did you see the recent news about changes to the Souverän line?

Souveräns Go From Translucent To Opaque (The Pelikan's Perch)

Glad to hear the health situation is more hopeful.
    Last edited by catbert; March 7th, 2022 at 10:25 AM.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (April 17th, 2022), Chrissy (March 7th, 2022), fountainpenkid (March 7th, 2022), TSherbs (March 7th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I found that interesting too.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

Oh dear. I was considering a Pelikan for a retirement pen. But I won't any longer. For me, a piston pen has to have some level of ink transparency.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

Oh dear. I was considering a Pelikan for a retirement pen. But I won't any longer. For me, a piston pen has to have some level of ink transparency.
    You absolutely need a first-quality vintage Pelikan for that pen, not a modern one. We'll talk...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 7th, 2022)

Thanks

Edit: Today though I just received some lab reports that indicate a downward turn in my health. This is somewhat scary and a little depressing. In talking to my wife at some length I realised that my priority now has to be this and not pens. I may just grab another 912 with a soft nib (bit more practical than the FA) and call it a day. There's only so many things that I can give attention to, and something has to give. Let it be this.
    Yikes, I'm just seeing this. So sorry, D.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

Yikes, I'm just seeing this. So sorry, D.
    I'll second those thoughts: all best wishes and prayers and good intentional thoughts to you, D.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (March 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Can you envision your "luxury" pen? Despite the current price of the M80x, I don't see them as in the same luxury league as the M149. This isn't due to performance but in terms of...extravagant look and feel. In fact, many regard the M80x as a workhorse.

M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!