Thread: Pilot Workhorse Comparison

Thanks

Default Pilot Workhorse Comparison

IMG_0572 (800x600).jpg

It's been a couple of hours since I received my Pilot [Fine Writing] Falcon in <SEF>, and I thought I'd share a few thoughts about it. While today is the first day with this particular pen, it's not the first Falcon I owned - used to have the Namiki Falcon, and the Pilot Metal Falcon that I acquired simultaneously. There were things I didn't like about the previous two, like not being fine-nibbed enough, and the other being heavy for my small lady hands, so off they were sold. Like a famous blogger once wrote, like romance stories, second chances should be given. After all, the soft extra fine nib was only available for $240, so $144 in a light elegant body was too good to pass, similar to the handsome-ness of a man in tuxedo.

Along with this Pilot, I also have a VP (fine) and a Prera (fine). So far, I can say all of these are nice workhorses for those that desire fine lines, and soft nibs with the exception of the Prera. However, for writing in cheap paper, I have experienced feathering with the VP and Falcon. With the Prera - hardly!

So, what's the point of the post? As I was eating my caldo tlalpeņo, I was reflecting on all the pens I have bought and sold. Pilot has been a very reliable brand for me, with the exception of the Penmanship - all have had non-skipping, smooth nibs.

Anyways, these pens are at different price points. Here's my estimations below:
    Prera $49.50 (jetpens)
    Falcon $144
    Vanishing Point Raden $300

For cheap paper, I recommend steel-nibbed pens like the Prera. For "nice" paper, anything goes with pens of more flow.
    By the way, I'm a lefty overwriter, so excuse the shakiness on the wannabe flexy cursive writing.

Falcon is the big writing in Diamine Ancient Copper. Blue ink is Vanishing Point F with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, and the brown one where it says "jumped over the lazy dog" is the Prera with Private Reserve Chocolat.
    IMG_0573 (800x600).jpg

I am aware that there are other pens in the market that give can give fine lines and be of lesser value, but these Pilots are the ones I have and wanted to share. Thanks for reading and hello to you forum.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Giordana For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (January 7th, 2014), jde (January 7th, 2014), Jeph (January 7th, 2014), Jon Szanto (January 7th, 2014), kaisnowbird (January 7th, 2014), lisantica (January 18th, 2014), reprieve (January 7th, 2014), subramaniyam (January 18th, 2014), Tony Rex (January 7th, 2014), trhall (January 7th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: Pilot Workhorse Comparison

Hello Giordana, and ! What a great start! I also love Pilot, and to see your line up brings warm fuzzy feeling, especially the raden. We love pen pr0n pics.. Thanks for sharing!

Tony

Thanks

Thanks I'm especially digging the leather notebook that the pens are on - I recently made it after coveting the rather expensive Midori TN. My supplies were very expensive at around $20.

Anyways, I hope that this post helps or inspires anyone searching for new fine-nibbed buddies.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Please - if you are a left-handed overwriter, you need offer no apologies for that level of penmanship with a flexible nib. Nice!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (January 7th, 2014)

Thanks

You have wonderful handwriting. I agree that Pilots are a good value and are reliable. Good quality control as well. They're my favorite brand.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

I, too, am a lefty overwriter, and my writing isn't nearly as nice as yours, Giordana. Out of curiosity, how do you orient the Falcon's nib to the paper (e.g., towards the top of the page, towards the right margin, towards the bottom, etc.)?

Thanks

Pretty writing! Your post prompted me to count the number of Pilots on my desk. The number is six. Six! I swear the suckers have been multiplying when my back is turned.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Margana For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (January 7th, 2014)

Thanks

Very nice! Nice selection of Pilots.

I've always thought Platinum made my most favorite nibs, yet somehow I've end up with three Pilots, and one Platinum. The Pilots are all different: a Pilot Heritage 92 with an FM nib, a Namiki Sterling with both an F and a B nib, and a Pilot MYU701 w/its integrated F steel nib. They are all reliable, pleasurable pens to use. Periodically when I think I've too many pens, I try to get rid the Heritage 92. And then I write with it, and sing "what kind of fool, am I?" and keep it.

Your handwriting is beautiful. I have merely scribble/scrawl.

Had to look up caldo tlalpeņo. Now I want some.

Cheers.

P.S. Pilots I've loved that didn't work out for me: The Decimo w/F, and the new Justus 95 w/adjustible F. Both nibs are amazing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

trhall (January 7th, 2014)

Thanks

I'm wanting one of the Pilot Falcon SEFs!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I, too, am a lefty overwriter, and my writing isn't nearly as nice as yours, Giordana. Out of curiosity, how do you orient the Falcon's nib to the paper (e.g., towards the top of the page, towards the right margin, towards the bottom, etc.)?
    To be able to flex any pen, I have to orient my hand like an underwriter. There's no way you can flex a pen as an overwriter - trust me I've tried it! To get a similar effect as an overwirter, i can put a little pressure on stiff nibs on the downstroke, and go light on the upstroke, like GClef (?) does with ballpoints.

It'd be nice to try the Platinum Soft Fine nibs, but I've handled the 3776, and to say the least, I was not impressed with the plastic hollow-sounding body.
    Last edited by Giordana; January 7th, 2014 at 02:39 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Giordana For This Useful Post:

Robert (January 7th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Giordana View Post
    To be able to flex any pen, I have to orient my hand like an underwriter. There's no way you can flex a pen as an overwriter - trust me I've tried it! To get a similar effect as an overwirter, i can put a little pressure on stiff nibs on the downstroke, and go light on the upstroke, like GClef (?) does with ballpoints.

Thanks for the response. (With due respect to nibs.com) would you characterize your hand position for flex writing as a #1, #5, or something else, as shown on this link: http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand%20writers.htm

I am somewhere between a #2 and #3.

Many thanks again!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Giordana View Post

Thanks for the response. (With due respect to nibs.com) would you characterize your hand position for flex writing as a #1, #5, or something else, as shown on this link: http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand%20writers.htm

I am somewhere between a #2 and #3.

Many thanks again!
    I think I'm a #2, sometimes shifting to #3. For flexing, hand position goes to #1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post
    P.S. Pilots I've loved that didn't work out for me: The Decimo w/F, and the new Justus 95 w/adjustible F. Both nibs are amazing.
    Hi Jde, would you care to share what aspects of the Justus 95 didn't work for you? I have it on my wish list but have no where to try it before I buy, would appreciate your perspective.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post
    Hi Jde, would you care to share what aspects of the Justus 95 didn't work for you? I have it on my wish list but have no where to try it before I buy, would appreciate your perspective.

I'm interested too, actually. I have followed your blog for a couple of years, I would really like to know what did not work for you regarding both the Decimo and the Justus 95. Your blog posts have always interested me because I am also a writer, and have small hands. Not all pens work for me. I am often surprised at what does and does not work for me. Personally, I have wondered if the circumference of the pen gripping section on the Justus might be too wide for me. Also, I figured the Decimo would be a good fit. I have not had the chance to try either pen for myself. Thanks! =)
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

Thanks

Thanks for the review Giordana. My work horses are primarily Edisons, but I do agree with a steel nib as a workhouse. I've also become an ED pen for writing for longer periods. The VP is the Pilot work horse for me. And as a treat I work with a pilot 823.

Thanks

First, Giordana, forgive going slightly off your topic. Hijacking, perhaps. I think.

In response to kipeabody & kaisnowbird
    The Justus 95: It would be easy just to tell you the pen is too heavy. The uncapped pen was approx 19g inked up with a CON-70 converter. Not too heavy, and I've a pen that's heavier inked up (the Danitrio Sho-Hakkuku at 20g). in the grand scheme of things. For me the issue with the Justus is the weight being concentrated at the section end. Of course the section is where the dial is that allows you to select a hard or soft nib. The circumference thing, I don't think, was that much of a difference in comparison to the Danitrio Sho-Hakkuku.

Bear in mind that while my hand is small, I've got an old hand injury that also comes into play with finding the "right" pens for me. The Justus 95 and that old injury did not get along, and my hand would cramp after a good half page of writing. Honestly, I tried hard to forge through this because the nib was sooo sublime to me. I was fortunate that a good friend lent me his for a week or two to try it out. If you somehow have a chance to try one first... although that's an impossible task for many of us, as kaisnowbird has indicated!

Re. the Decimo. Having fallen in love with a VP's nib, and finding that pen way too heavy, the Decimo was a great choice. Same nib, as most of you know! This will seem silly to many, I suppose: my rejection of the Decimo was all about the clicking noise. It's a "perfect" note taking pen except when you're sitting in the dark of a theatre and wish to take a note. In moments of silence, the clicking is louder than you think! I needed a quiet pen like the one I use now: a Pilot MYU701.

Note the Decimo's inked weight: 20g using the CON-50. (Justus 95 19g w/CON-70 & uncapped!)

20g seems to be my max weight (uncapped & inked) for a comfortable pen. Yet, as the Justus shows me, weight alone is not the complete criteria.

It is always surprising which pens work for us and which ones don't, ay?

Hope those thoughts help.
    Cheers,
    Julie
    (Thank you kipeabody for the kind words!)
    Last edited by jde; January 8th, 2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: for politeness

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

Jeph (January 8th, 2014), kaisnowbird (January 8th, 2014), klpeabody (January 8th, 2014), reprieve (January 8th, 2014), trhall (January 8th, 2014)

Thanks

Thank you Jde.

I think I'll be okay with the weight of the Justus 95 and a little less bothered by the loudness of the Decimo's clicks (the VP's clicks are loud!), but I really appreciate you sharing your hands on experience. It reminds me that perhaps the size of the Justus 95 is just a tad too big for my liking.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Thank you so much for taking the time to expand your thoughts, Julie. I have made similar observations about the VP. I love the nib too; sometimes it does feel bulky in the hand and is better for short sessions. And, you're right, it's not a quiet pen at all. lol. As far as the Justus 95 is concerned, I understand the points you've made. Balance in the hand is key for me where pens are concerned. I have had great results with some larger pens simply because they are well balanced, creating an enjoyable writing experience. From what I'm able to gather from the writing sample's I've seen, the nib looks amazing and I hope for the chance to try one for myself, but I won't set my heart upon it just yet. Thanks again!

P.S.
    You're welcome!
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

jde (January 25th, 2014)